BajaNomad

My first Mako

baitcast - 7-8-2008 at 04:16 PM

With the help of many people and 4 or 5 hours of intensive labor finally got it:rolleyes:

Got this guy off Pt Fermin in 63,note the motor a 50 its the size of todays 100 or more:lol:

Everytime I try something new on this thing its like starting all over again,scanner this time.

Capt. George - 7-9-2008 at 02:18 PM

is that one of those Cuban refugee boats?? And whose the guy fondling the fish?

baitcast - 7-9-2008 at 06:22 PM

:lol: That George is a 16' Ryan and that hunk is Baitcast:lol:..........Wooden boats and iron men back then!!

Caught alot of Mc Nastys in that rig,the pic is my first try with my new scanner.
Rob

Those guys are scary fellows,note the side of its head,while along side a much larger guy came up and took a bite:o

[Edited on 7-10-2008 by baitcast]

Capt. George - 7-10-2008 at 04:59 AM

Makos, no thanks, no more! had one hanging off a gin pole and another trying to rip it's head off, 30 miles off L.I., NY

Had a tiger over 600 lbs grab the corner of the transon and literally shake the boat, a 29ft wood Olsen...

Started out with a 13 ft Lyman fishing the inlets of L.I. coo-coo ahh youth, what a great experience (if you manage to live through it)

shari - 7-10-2008 at 08:51 AM

I used to worry every day Juan went Mako fishing a few years back. It was his job to wrestle them into the panga...ewwww! 20 miles offshore and flinging thrashing Makos around with huge teeth...dangerous indeed. But the teeth sure make lovely earings! I made the mistake once when we were going to have Mako tacos with a bunch of fishermen...I said "I just LOVE Mako" pronouncing it make-Oh...all the guys snickered and elbowed each other while Juan got very red in the face....???? He later explained that Make-oh meant (sperm!!!):mad:ooooops

Sharksbaja - 7-10-2008 at 10:47 AM

Shari, is Juan aware of the Mako shark delemma? Does he still hunt shark?:(

[Edited on 7-10-2008 by Sharksbaja]

baitcast - 7-10-2008 at 11:27 AM

Shari you mean WRESTLE:o the larger models were to scary to get to close to,jumping fools they are,in a small boat you were eyeball to eyeball.

We only had old black 4/0,s and penn 68,s so there was alot of chasing to do on a larger guy.......fun times
Rob

shari - 7-10-2008 at 12:04 PM

No, they don't shark fish anymore.

Cypress - 7-10-2008 at 02:48 PM

Only sharks I ever hooked were accidental.:tumble:Too much wear and tear on everything and reduce the time you could be catching other, more preferred fish.:no:

baitcast - 7-10-2008 at 02:54 PM

Cypress the mako,s and t-sharks were the target fish:rolleyes:
Rob

Cypress - 7-10-2008 at 03:04 PM

baitcast, OK! Thanks! I understand. :PSome folks fit in the "glutton for punishment" catagory.:D

Capt. George - 7-11-2008 at 04:30 AM

a buddy of mine, Donny Braddock, has the record Great White, I believe it weighed in at 3,200 lbs:wow:, caught off Montauk NY. It was feeding on a whale carcus. Donny mated for Frank Mundas, "The Monster Man". What a trip he was, one red, one green sock!:spingrin:

Frank pretty much got the shark sportfishing craze underway in the N/E, last I heard he was in Hawaii.

been there, done that...many years ago...no more for me.:O cap'n g

Skeet/Loreto - 7-12-2008 at 04:04 AM

I cannot resist any LOnger about the tales of such small Sharks, a couple of shark stories follow concerning the Great Sea of Cortez and the very eatable Shark Meat.

I fished out of San Nicolas for several years with Enrique Murillo and Alfreado. I used a Penn 40 with 125 Lb. Line. When we would hook up to any shark over 200 Lbs, most where between 400 and 800 Lbs, I would bring the shark to the edge of the Panga where Enrique woyld stun it by hitting it in the Nose with
an Ironwood Bat{I still have the Bat} afterwards it woul be brought back to the Panga where Enrique would use the Harpoon and stab it in the Brain, it would then take oof and go around the Panga about 3 to 4 times, then when it was slowed down the Shark would be held by the Leader while Enrique would take his Knofe and cut the Spinal Cord at the Tail allowing the Shark to Bleed at Least 10 minutes, checking its eyeball to determine there was no more fight, Then and only then would we use two ropes to roll the shark into Panga, Sometimes we would have 2 to 3 Thousand Lbs of shark when we arrived back at San Nicholas where the Wifes of the fisherman would Filet the meat, salt it, hang it on the Fence for Drying.
Later a Truck would be met on the Main. Road south, the Dryed meat sold and taken to MexicoCity where it was used for Machaco{Meat for Tacos}.

I only know of one Fisherman ever hurt by a shark, he lost a finger while pulling a small one in by Net..

I still have the Teeth of a 800 Lb hanging on my wall, not as a Trohy, but to be used to demonstrate the way the Teeth can Bite you if you become lax and go swimming with the Sharks, My Grand Children appreciate this
Lesson and are very aware of the ocean when swimming.!!

Other stories at a later Time, Must go a feed the Horses.

Skeet/Loreto