BajaNomad

Rain Forest Boats?

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 06:35 PM

They build their boats in Guadalajara. The have an awesome 22 foot super panga for about 15gs no motor or trailer.
Anybody ever fished one?

http://www.rainforestboats.com.mx/sportfish228.htm

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 07:28 PM

Wow motors are expensive. Will a 150 hp be big enough for a 2500lb boat?
Any reason not to use a 2 stroke which is much cheaper?

Al G - 7-10-2008 at 10:10 PM

Fishbuck...I have no answer for you and I am sorry nobody else has posted. So this is a BUMP as I am interested too.

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 10:10 PM

Here's my motor:

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/140hp_tohatsu_outboard_motor....

Only $6599 new

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 10:37 PM

Might need to buy a used boat. I kinda like these.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1991-Bayliner-Boats-Trophy...

comitan - 7-11-2008 at 08:27 AM

Fishbuck, The Bayliner would be a good boat for you, they build that boat for the women in the family if you happen to be out when it gets rough just hope it doesn't fall apart.:o:o:lol:

Don Alley - 7-11-2008 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Here's my motor:

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/140hp_tohatsu_outboard_motor....

Only $6599 new

But according to the link, you have to take the boat to Tennessee for installation?

The panga looks very nice. Composite construction without wood...that's different. A bit heavy, my 23 footer is powered in about the middle of its range with only 115HP. Then again, it's not particularly fast.

I think these pangas may be worth a look.

Diver - 7-11-2008 at 09:31 AM

Isn't that a planing hull, more like a Mako ?

If so, 150 Hp will get you planing but not with bait tanks and some ladies on-board !
200 Hp should give you the power you need to get there fast !

Why not buy an 80's Mako hull and do some repair/customizing and re-power ?

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Fishbuck, The Bayliner would be a good boat for you, they build that boat for the women in the family if you happen to be out when it gets rough just hope it doesn't fall apart.:o:o:lol:

Ya, I 've read some reports like that. But it sure looks right.

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 04:47 PM

I got email from Rain Forest and he is saying 115 is okay for the boat. A good compromise for fuel consumption versus power.
I think I like the Direct Fuel Injected 2-strokes. I found a Tohatsu for about 8 Gs plus installation cost.
I plan to troll a lot and thses engines troll better than carburated ones.

Diver - 7-11-2008 at 07:03 PM

Take a look at this Panga 22 listed on Allcoast for $20K;

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

comitan - 7-11-2008 at 07:13 PM

Fish

Listen to Diver thats the best idea I've heard those boats are so solid, give you the best ride.

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 07:49 PM

That's a beautiful boat. But if you look at the photo of the Rain Forest boat I think it solves a basic problem with the panga and all it's mutations.
Thr RF boat moves the center console forward and moves the fishing space and the fisherman in back of the captain. It sucks trying to fight fish from in front of the CC. Especially when trolling. You can really only fish from the side.
That's okay in the late part of the fight when the captain can turn the boat but at the jig strike the angler is in the wrong spot. Forward of the CC.
When we slow trolled live bait for grouper I almost got pulled out when the captain gunned the throttle to try and pull the fish. Groupers don't pull very easy. I was standing next to the console with both hands on the rod and nothing to brace against. I finally asked him to turn 45 degrees before gunning it so I could brace 1 foot on the gunnel and lean on the t-top frame and cc. It worked okay for 1 angler but a double hook-up would be very awkward.

fishbuck - 7-12-2008 at 02:23 AM

Okay, I want this boat!
I think you should all pitch in about $1000/us. Maybe like a time share. That will buy 4 trips.
You pick the spot and the boat and captain will be there ready and waiting.
Bait tank full, lunches and snacks, cool drinks...todos!
VIP treatment.
And you'll be a share holder. We'll use the boat for hire when not in use by the VIP's. As it earns you'll receive credit which can be used to fish or to put towards the purchase of additional boats. To make more money! Capitalism baby!
This is how it works with Learjets so why not pangas?

BajaBruno - 7-13-2008 at 01:15 PM

I fished off a Rainforest boat in La Paz in 2006. Tailhunter had it. Wonderful boat--I was very impressed. I don't recall the size, but 22' sounds about right. It had a Mercury and I'm thinking 115HP. I have a photo--if you are interested email me. It is a little too big to post.

cfbruno@sbcglobal.net

fishbuck - 7-13-2008 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
I fished off a Rainforest boat in La Paz in 2006. Tailhunter had it. Wonderful boat--I was very impressed. I don't recall the size, but 22' sounds about right. It had a Mercury and I'm thinking 115HP. I have a photo--if you are interested email me. It is a little too big to post.

cfbruno@sbcglobal.net

Okay, ya I'd love to see the pic.
I asked how I could get he boat to Baja and they said they had shipped some by ferry to La Paz. Costs about $1000/US.
Maybe I can get to La Paz and fish with taihunters and try the boat.
Thanks!

805gregg - 7-14-2008 at 02:02 PM

Check out Panga Craft boats they will ship you a new 22' Panga for $9,880.00 or get three ordererd and price drops to $ 7,788.00 looks like a good deal.

Diver - 7-14-2008 at 02:10 PM

Looked at the Panga Crafts.
They are inexpensive ....... and also cheap !
The interior glass work looks like my mom did it ! :no: :(

Cypress - 7-14-2008 at 02:24 PM

fishbuck, A 150HP anything will leave you under-powered pushing a 2,500 lb. hull.:DFigure fuel, at around 8 lbs/gallon, people onboard, ice, bait etc.;)You're gonna need something with more power, at least 200+HP.:D

tripledigitken - 7-14-2008 at 02:44 PM

You're right Cypress regarding propelling a 2500# boat with a 150hp motor. Also, I would suggest doing more research on 2 strokes. Most boats are now powered with 4 strokes.

Ken

fishbuck - 7-14-2008 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
You're right Cypress regarding propelling a 2500# boat with a 150hp motor. Also, I would suggest doing more research on 2 strokes. Most boats are now powered with 4 strokes.

Ken

Ya, 4-stroke is in favor but the new 2-strokes meet all the CARB standards and are legal in California fresh water. The are also lighter and more powerful. Direct Fuel/oil Injection.
A 150hp 2 might be equal to at 200hp 4.
Rain Forest recommends the 115 Merc 4-stroke.
I'm going to try and fish SQ this weekend. Tiburon has 2 boats I like. Both 26ft pangas. 1 with a 150hp and the other 200hp 4-stroke mercs. The 150hp has a better flush deck so I'll try that if I can get it.
We'll see if that's enough power to charge the ocean for atun.

toneart - 7-14-2008 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Ken

Ya, 4-stroke is in favor but the new 2-strokes meet all the CARB standards and are legal in California fresh water. The are also lighter and more powerful. Direct Fuel/oil Injection.
A 150hp 2 might be equal to at 200hp 4.
Rain Forest recommends the 115 Merc 4-stroke.
I'm going to try and fish SQ this weekend. Tiburon has 2 boats I like. Both 26ft pangas. 1 with a 150hp and the other 200hp 4-stroke mercs. The 150hp has a better flush deck so I'll try that if I can get it.
We'll see if that's enough power to charge the ocean for atun.

Yep! This is correct. If it says EFI (electronically fuel injected) and/or Optimax, it is even allowed on Lake Tahoe. They are new, more efficient, leak less oil and emit fewer pollutants into the air. If you talk to marine shops, they are becoming preferred over 4 strokes.

Don Alley - 7-14-2008 at 04:04 PM

One thing that stands out in the Tohatsu that Fishbuck is considering is the variable idle, that should make for better control of trolling speed. I have a 4 stroke 115hp Mercury, and I wish I could slow it down just a touch when slow-trolling live baits.

But another consideration is service. My Merc has needed warranty service (twice!), and while that's not good, at least there was a certified Mercury mechanic in Loreto to facilitate the warranty claim.

Lots of discussion/arguments on the internet about 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke. They all good, modern designs. I think the 2 strokes seem to be lighter with a slight edge in power, while the 4 strokes are quieter. Much of the good press 4 strokes has receive is from their comparison to older, carburated 2 strokes, not the new fuel injected 2 strokes.

tripledigitken - 7-14-2008 at 04:19 PM

2 strokes are typically lighter and more powerful. They are allowed on most fresh water lakes. Maintenance cost is lower than a 4 stroke. Oil usuage between the 2 designs is about a wash.

Where they fall short:

Most are noisier than 4's

They don't get as good fuel economy

With larger boats (21' and larger) the resale with a 4 is much better. (Check the ads on Hull Truth)

While it is hard to research sales numbers (at least for me), Several dealers that I have spoken to are in agreement that 4 strokes still command 60%-80% of new sales.

Just "test drive" the configuration yourself before you buy, try to have 2 or 3 buddies with you to approximate a full load.

Just my 2 cents

Ken

comitan - 7-14-2008 at 04:52 PM

Don if your motor won't go slower its an adjustment, my 40 Mec 4stroke idles so slow you wonder how it still stays running.

fishbuck - 7-14-2008 at 07:04 PM

Here's a little excerpt for a mag:

All things being equal, a DI motor costs less and accelerates noticeably quicker than a comparable four-stroke. As for sound quality, and contrary to perception, DI motors register a few decibels quieter. It just doesn't sound that way. That's because a four-stroke V-6 sings a song at a more harmonious frequency. Personally, I prefer the sultry voice of a DI two-stroke.

Today fuel economy on both DI and four-strokes measures from a 10 percent to 80 percent improvement, compared with the old two-strokes of a decade ago, depending on rpm and load—cruising speeds figure on about a 30 percent improvement.

Ultimately the biggest difference between the competing technologies is acceleration. With a superior horsepower-to-weight ratio DI two-strokes zoom onto a plane quicker. For some applications, like bay boats, that's crucial. But in the final analysis what's most important is the deal. As in buying a car, it's vital to comparison shop. Determine which dealer offers the best prices and has the most reputable service department.