BajaNomad

Fish fever!

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 11:29 PM

Man I'm already anxious to fish again.
The San Diego 1.5 day trips are looking very good. I didn't fish once there last year but it's looking good already for albies and yellowtail this year. I do love fishing open ocean on the big boats. It's $350 so not cheap. But only drive to San Diego.
I'd like to fish SQ but maybe wait a few more weeks to fish there. A 26ft super panga from TIBURON is 250/day.
Decisions, decisions...

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 05:14 AM

Okay there is a 1.5 day trip on the Seacher (95ft) leaving at 6pm tuesday July 15. $350
http://www.searchersportfishing.com/
These guys normal do 3-5 day trips so they know where the fish are. Baja ofcourse!
So anybody want to split a panga?

:yes:

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by fishbuck]

Capt. George - 7-11-2008 at 05:39 AM

Buddy of mine lives and fishes out of S.D. He's doing really well, fishes out of an 18 Parker but in the process of rigging out a 21 Cabo.

If you'd like, I'll ask if he wants company, split expenses etc

g

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 04:27 PM

Thanks CapG! Maybe when the fish get closer.
But I think I book on the Searcher for this Tuesday trip. It's looking like 4 fish per stick right now. If I'm on my game I should doulble that.
Looks like we will leave SD at 6pm and cruise through the night south. That should get us about 120 miles by grey light.
Nothing better than hooking your 1st fish at sunrise. Anybody want any fresh albacore? I think I'll have more than I can use.:cool:

comitan - 7-11-2008 at 04:47 PM

Fishbuck

I think you have your priorities mixed up, you better get back to that TJ Miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Fishbuck

I think you have your priorities mixed up, you better get back to that TJ Miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya we are making plans but I need to get some fishing done so I can give her my complete attention. Plus she rally loves fresh sushi.
She showed me a little sushi reatuarant near Hacienda Del Mar. I went there while she was at work and they sushied some fresh yellowtail I caught in Bola the day before. I had it waiting for her when she returned chilling in my cooler.
That and a very nice bottle of white wine from L. A. Cetto made for a nice evening.
I'd like to do that again as soon as possible.;D

woody with a view - 7-11-2008 at 05:06 PM

hey fishbuck

i love albies. my wife and i might be up for a run to SQ. gimme a u2u.

Fish in SQ

bajadreamer - 7-11-2008 at 06:16 PM

Fished for 3 days in San Quintin over the 4th. Great trip. Fished with Pedro's Pangas with Captain Miguel. Boat was "Pelicano". Funky looking boat, but fast, dry and dependable.

First day was spent throwing iron at surface YT in the fog 1-4 miles west of San Martin. Truly all the YT you could want. We stopped at 15 (limits of 5 x 3), but could have sunk the boat. The problem were hordes of 8-12# bonito. If you retrieved slow it was bonito; if you retrieved fast it was YT.

Second day was spent outside 24 miles off the point at about 240-250 degrees. Lots of albacore (caught 4 up to 30#) but the main thing was loads of BIG kelp paddy YT. Caught 10 up to 32#. Released at least that many. Found one paddy with "lockjaw" dorado.

Third day was spent south off Socorro. No WSB, but caught limits of halibut to 12# and 3 Black Sea Bass up to 150#. Actually the 150# fish was lost at boat side to a frayed line, but we were going to release it anyway, so in my book it was a "caught fish".

Great fishing trip. Diesel was a problem. Waited for a tanker to unload at Zapatos. Stayed at Old Mill, but ate at Don Eddys each night. We will definitely be back. BAJA is still the same-in spite of all the troubles, once we were there it was truly "old times".

Bajadreamer

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 08:04 PM

Nice report! You are making this tuff. But I'm in the mood for a San Diego trip. Probably SQ next and then it wil be time for the crazy drive down to B. Asuncion to fish with Juan and Shari.
I was glad with my decision to fish Bola over the 4th because the weather was very nice. Clear and not too hot.
I could have caught all the dink yellows on iron I wanted but opted for bait to try and find 20lb + fish and did find a few. Still got my 5 fish and a couple of beautiful grouper.
SQ did look foggy and cold.