BajaNomad

Asuncion Fishing Report (FINALLY)

shari - 7-11-2008 at 09:14 AM

Whew...we barely survived all the good times we've had with our wonderful guests who were here for the July 4th holiday/graduation parties. Present and reported for duty were bajaboy, cabobaja, santiago & son, Kevin, raymundo, and a newbie soon to join the nomad clan...Escott. There were parties galore, dances, horseraces, horseshoes at bajaboys casita and fish dinners at the blowhole.
The weather was excellent, not too hot, not much swell and not much wind so the guys got 2 days of fishing in. The first day they went north and trolled through every bird and bait area they saw but it's just too darn cold for yellowtail yet. So they ended up bringing in lots of nice calico...Escott was very happy with the biggest Calico he's ever caught(aobut 10lbs)

IMG_8055-2.JPG - 41kB

shari - 7-11-2008 at 09:20 AM

Santiago's son Brock got a really nice vieja (sheepshead) that we made a delicious chowder out of to feed everyone at the gathering/jam sesssion we had that night. These were a great bunch of guys who had alot of fun together and caught lots of fish...thanks amigos for a really fun week.

IMG_8071.JPG - 32kB

Diver - 7-11-2008 at 09:26 AM

My retirement is not coming fast enough; you guys are having sooo much fun !
I'll be joining you for ALL the fun one of these days !

The warm water seems to be pulsing north but after a short warm-up early last week, it's been cool again except for a few areas 20+ miles offshore.
Soon .... very soon .... maybe 2 - 4 weeks .... YT !!!

shari - 7-11-2008 at 09:27 AM

Here is a pic of the eclectic gang gathered at the blowhole for dinner, great conversation, music and laughs. New friendships were forged and old ones rekindled...good thing Santiago brought industrial sized bottles of wine!!!

IMG_8058-2.JPG - 41kB

shari - 7-11-2008 at 09:29 AM

Yes diver, the water temps change daily...last sunday I had a nice swim and a couple days ago I run into the water thinking it's the same temp and immediately my ankles got numb...rats! it was a very quick dip with associated screams and howls.....brrrrrrrr

Don Alley - 7-11-2008 at 11:18 AM

Calico Bass.

I miss them.

Maybe I'll meet you and Juan in the fall.:biggrin:

Sharksbaja - 7-11-2008 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Calico Bass.

I miss them.

Maybe I'll meet you and Juan in the fall.:biggrin:

Tambien Don! Lots of good memories.

Shari, those guys(where are the babes?) look very happy but a tad chilly. Cool Pacific breeze?:yes:

btw, that guy on the right looks like he was cut and pasted in there!:lol:

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by Sharksbaja]

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 01:57 PM

That's a good start! Nice big calicos.
Keep trying. It just started to get good up last week. Now we have yellow,albies,bluefin and a few Yellowfin. I think I even saw some dorado.
Should be coming your way soon!

JaraHurd - 7-11-2008 at 02:34 PM

I do some kayak fishing at Paradise Cove in Malibu..If I caught a calico that big I would probably faint. AWESOME!! They are HUGE! Where do I sign up????

cabobaja - 7-11-2008 at 03:01 PM

JaraHurd..............yes, you need to get your Bu?? to Asuncion. I have been fishing Baja for more than 30 years and arrived in Asuncion on Friday, July 4th. Came with no notice to surprise my bud Zac (Bajaboy). Found Zac at his new casita and the party began. Within an hour Shari and Juan arrived and we were introduced and from that moment on we were family.

I arrived home yesterday late here in Elias Calles. I have still not fully recovered. I still need some rest. Asuncion is almost beyound words. Within two days I would drive to the store and I hear people calling my name. "Amigo Marcos, como esta tu?"

Thanks Zac! And mucho thank you's to Shari and Juan!!! You will will not find a better host than Shari and Juan...and, will not find a better captain for your fishing experience than Juan.

Ok, I need to take another nap.

Mucho saludos Shari y Juan!!!

Marcos

woody with a view - 7-11-2008 at 03:18 PM

next trip is october, for the fishing, in the area that shall remain unnamed. maybe i'll talk Bia into a couple of days in Asuncion to break up the 10 days......hmmmmm, it's good to have options...

shari - 7-11-2008 at 03:22 PM

that's funny about looking like Juan was cut and pasted in that photo...I always said he's not from "here"...Juan is certainly "otherworldly" but he WAS in that picture...honest!
Happy to welcome you CAbobaja to our extended family! See ya in the fall woodman, alleycat and jarahurd

The real Juan

Russ - 7-11-2008 at 04:01 PM

Please step forward

Real Juan.jpg - 48kB

shari - 7-11-2008 at 04:15 PM

Oh MAN Russ....THAT IS THE BEST LAUGH I"ve had all month!!!! Way toooo silly!! gracias amigo for making my day....I have heard amigas commenting that it's too bad we couldn't clone Juan....I cant stop giggling!

Gadget - 7-11-2008 at 07:57 PM

Had to log in just to :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin: that post Russ. I fully took a double take there.

There's some pretty decent surf there too Woody.:) Gotta bust out with the secret handshake with Shari to get the low down.

BajaWarrior - 7-11-2008 at 08:05 PM

That's the funniest thing I've ever seen! Getting a good belly laugh here!:lol:

fishbuck - 7-11-2008 at 08:06 PM

There sure alot of those ARCE brothers!:lol:

Barbareno - 7-12-2008 at 06:51 AM

That is such a funny picture. Shari have you shown Juan? Wonder how he feels about Zak's ears? :lol:

Barb

shari - 7-12-2008 at 08:47 AM

Juan couldn't quite understand it when he saw it....WTF? And my nephew Noe said "wow those guys sure look like my tio! toooooo funny! I've gone back and looked at it just to have another giggling fit...good for the soul.

Russ - 7-12-2008 at 10:26 AM

For some reason I've tried to post a "Juan in drag" photo and it hasn't shown. I'll try one more time. You got me started with this so don't blame me. Don't encourage me.

j.jpg - 43kB

cabobaja - 7-12-2008 at 03:24 PM

I don't know.....I think Juan looks good in my tennis shoes, fourth from the left.

gonetobaja - 7-13-2008 at 10:00 AM

Nice report Shari!

Great job on the Calicos, that 10lber is a HUGE one!