BajaNomad

Any good kayaking around Todos Santos?

Dirtnadvil - 7-13-2008 at 04:59 PM

Is there anything that I will miss if I don't bring my kayak down this summer. I am trying to keep it to the basics, surfing and eating, however if there is a mermaid rookery or something cool, I wouldn't want to miss that either.:lol:

Al G - 7-13-2008 at 05:10 PM

It would have to be a mighty kayak with maybe couple 90 hp outboards...:o:o:lol:

comitan - 7-13-2008 at 05:18 PM

What is being implied that there is a surf. I would have to say that La Paz is a Kayakers paradise.

[Edited on 7-14-2008 by comitan]

CaboRon - 7-13-2008 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
What is being implied that there is a surf.

OH YEA !!!

This is called beaching against the side of a mountain :lol:

It can take your breath away ...

Looks Can Be Deceiving ...

pacificobob - 7-13-2008 at 06:16 PM

cool photo sequence ron.

Bajabus - 7-13-2008 at 07:00 PM

I have watched many of those guys come in and the above pics seem to portray a calm day.

The launching is just as exciting and many a boat has flipped on the way out. It did seem that more gringos flip at cerritos than at lobos. I know I almost did a few times. There has to be thousands of dollars of tackle under the sand there

CaboRon - 7-13-2008 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
I have watched many of those guys come in and the above pics seem to portray a calm day.

The launching is just as exciting and many a boat has flipped on the way out. It did seem that more gringos flip at cerritos than at lobos. I know I almost did a few times. There has to be thousands of dollars of tackle under the sand there

Bajabus,

I did take these photos on a calm day ...

And you are right , the launching of the fleet is an awesome sight, with the first panga towing out each boat in their proper order, of course the gringo panga goes out last.

CaboRon

Pescador - 7-14-2008 at 11:59 AM

I used to kayak at Cerritos all the time. It mostly depends on how well you go through the surf. I thought it was a kick but a couple of my friends had a much tougher time of it than I did but I am a white water kayaker so the challenge was different.
The biggest challenge is when you come in and land on the beach. You really need someone to catch and hold the nose of the boat to keep it from turning sideways to the beach which will mean that the next wave will knock you around a lot.
So, if you decide to try it, practice on the calmer days and work up to the bigger surf.

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2008 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtnadvil
Is there anything that I will miss if I don't bring my kayak down this summer. I am trying to keep it to the basics, surfing and eating, however if there is a mermaid rookery or something cool, I wouldn't want to miss that either.:lol:

i think you mean sea kayaking? nothing really conducive to beginning kayakers. but if experienced,...
South of town, you will find a few miles of rocky shoreline looks fun for kayaking along.
Northward about 30 miles up the coast is a lagoon behind barrier islands, which could be good kayaking.
ocean beach usually has surf, so you need to know how to enter/exit thru surf.

Cypress - 7-14-2008 at 12:56 PM

Is there any good kayaking on the Pacific side of Baja?:D That all depends upon your definition of "good kayaking"?:D Without ever having the pleasure of kayaking on the Pacific side, I'd say yes. Go for it and tell us about it.:D