BajaNomad

San Quintin Tuna

TonyC - 7-14-2008 at 04:33 PM

Just my luck, good to WFO tuna bite since Tuesday 07-08. If I had a few extra days, I would have finally got into a great tuna bite in San Quintin. Hope it's still happening next month.

http://www.mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2008/mfn080714/mfn080714.htm

fishbuck - 7-14-2008 at 04:45 PM

I tried to tell you you were just a bit early. They got some your weekend but a super panger would be needed if not a small sportfish. Kelly Catian uses a Parker with a pilot house.

TonyC - 7-14-2008 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I tried to tell you you were just a bit early. They got some your weekend but a super panger would be needed if not a small sportfish. Kelly Catian uses a Parker with a pilot house.

Hola Fishbuck,

A bit early, I missed by two days....think it was just one of those "you should have been there yesterday". The bite was starting to turn on the 4th if not for the weather. If I could of stay a few days I would of. Oh well, that's fishing. Friday night in San Quintin was still a good time.

I've fished with Kelly, and his son Oscar. Oscar also works at Jardines during the night. Last time I went, it $600 for the Parker, up to six fishermen. $400 for the super panga up to four. I'm heading down next month, are you down for a day or two with Kelly, or maybe Juan? I may have a another guy coming with, split three ways.

Tight lines.

fishbuck - 7-14-2008 at 06:20 PM

Ya, it was close.
Ya, let me know when your next trip is. I definately want to fish with Kelly or his son. Or another captain is okay too.
I'll try and make it this weekend to SQ with my son who is 14.
I almost booked on the Searcher out of San DIego on a 1.5 day trip leaving Tues at 6pm. The bite dropped off hard so I'll try SQ instead.
But it's still the same thing. Now that I'm not going on the Searcher they will probably limit out.
You can only make your best bet on where the fish will bite.

fishbuck - 7-16-2008 at 02:41 AM

I guessed lucky by not going out on the Searcher from San Diego tonight. The fishcount went down to less than 1 fish per angler. And that's on overnight and 1.5-2 day boats. Ofcourse the bite could go crazy tomorrow.
It was like 4 fish per angler a few days ago. I hope the seiners from Ensenada didn't close in and scoop everything!
Oh well. That was the first big tuna bite for SD this year and the season has at least 2-3 months to go.
Anyway, I'm going to fish San Quintin by superpanga for surface tuna this weekend if it all works out.
Does anyone know a good weather page for San Quintin. Also a page for sea state and sea temperature? I hope the temperture break is in close!
I'll call down there tomorrow to see if I can get a fish report and reserve a boat.
I'm trying to take my son for his first trip to our "fishcamp" and his first deepsea trip. If his mom with let him go.
Ya, my ex. She can be a little hard to get along with sometimes.
But I'll do my best to sweet talk her so my son can go.

[Edited on 7-16-2008 by fishbuck]

capt. mike - 7-16-2008 at 06:26 AM

you just need to call Lorenzo at his campo anytime for WX conditions. check his website, he offers this to all on BBP flying in or fishing.

tripledigitken - 7-16-2008 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know a good weather page for San Quintin. Also a page for sea state and sea temperature? I hope the temperture break is in close!

Fishbuck,

Here are two sites I use. The first is the free Terrafin site for surface temperatures.

http://www.terrafin.com/sstview/showFreeChart.php?ct=free&zn=wcrv&rg=nobaja&ix=1

The second is a link to Seabouys which will give good sea conditions but no temperature.

http://www.buoyweather.com/index.jsp

Looks pretty lumpy for today and thursday.

Ken

fishbuck - 7-16-2008 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

Fishbuck,

Here are two sites I use. The first is the free Terrafin site for surface temperatures.

http://www.terrafin.com/sstview/showFreeChart.php?ct=free&zn=wcrv&rg=nobaja&ix=1

The second is a link to Seabouys which will give good sea conditions but no temperature.

http://www.buoyweather.com/index.jsp

Looks pretty lumpy for today and thursday.

Ken

Thanks Ken! That is very cool. You can see the cold water is now south of Punta Baja. But ya, a bit windy and looks like 3-5ft swells. Should be okay in the morning.

fishbuck - 7-17-2008 at 03:15 PM

Here's the report from the Seacher.

Captain Art's Blog

7/16/2008

Jul 16
Howdy anglers,
Well another 1 1/2 trip is under our belts and we're heading in tonight. The fishing has slowed a bit and the weather has picked up, which made for a slower trip than the past couple. There was still sign of fish but they had their heads in the mud today possibly from the weather. We have seen that before-- the first couple of days the weather picks up, the fishing slows a bit.
Wer'e coming home with 13 bluefin, 9 longfins, and 3 yellowtails. The jackpot was a 26 lb. longfin.
Tip of the day is patience, especially right after a jigstrike. Wait a of couple of extra seconds to get a bait into the water, and spread out on the 95-feet of rail.
We're leaving on a 5-day tomorrow and we'll keep you posted. Good angling and hope to see you on the water soon!
Capt. Aaron

That was for a full load with 42 anglers.

tripledigitken - 7-17-2008 at 03:27 PM

Fishbuck,

Did you get a midweek report from SQ? Look forward to a report next week if you go.

Good luck, and have a fish taco for me.;D

Ken

Udo - 7-17-2008 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
I guessed lucky by not going out on the Searcher from San Diego tonight. The fishcount went down to less than 1 fish per angler. And that's on overnight and 1.5-2 day boats. Ofcourse the bite could go crazy tomorrow.
It was like 4 fish per angler a few days ago. I hope the seiners from Ensenada didn't close in and scoop everything!
Oh well. That was the first big tuna bite for SD this year and the season has at least 2-3 months to go.
Anyway, I'm going to fish San Quintin by superpanga for surface tuna this weekend if it all works out.
I'll call down there tomorrow to see if I can get a fish report and reserve a boat.
I'm trying to take my son for his first trip to our "fishcamp" and his first deepsea trip. If his mom with let him go.
Ya, my ex. She can be a little hard to get along with sometimes.
But I'll do my best to sweet talk her so my son can go.

THINK FISHING DURING A NEW MOON, NOT A FULL ONE!

[Edited on 7-16-2008 by fishbuck]