BajaNomad

Fishing in the sea of cortez

fcasey74 - 7-15-2008 at 12:27 PM

Hi all

I want to go on vacation to Baja (I'm from California) and I was wondering what the fishing is like on the Sea of Cortez this time of year?

Thanks!
-Frank

tripledigitken - 7-15-2008 at 12:36 PM

Try this weekly summary of fishing in Baja and some mainland reports as well. Loreto and La Paz are having good Dorado Fishing presently.

Ken

http://mexfish.com/

Skipjack Joe - 7-15-2008 at 01:08 PM

The fishing is hot but so is the weather. You want to get on the water at daybreak and back by noon. You want to have an air conditioned hotel to come back to.

The highly sought pelagics swing into the cortez waters at this time of year so the fishing is generally quite good. Migrations vary from year to year but by August the fish are almost always somewhere in the sea. Their concentrations can vary up and down the peninsula from year to year. If mobile you can adjust to the latest situation. Making a reservation months in advance, however, is riskier. But at this time of year the risk gets smaller.

Skeet/Loreto - 7-15-2008 at 01:12 PM

FANTASTIC!!! as always on the Great Sea of Cortez.

I would suggest that if you have never caught a Dorado, go to Loreto or Mulege rent a Pangero and have the time of your Life!!

If you fish out of Loreto it may be necessary to travel a little further out to get away from the Park area, going to Mulege could be a little shorter boat Ride.

I lived on the Sea of Cortez at Loreto for 38 years. Send me a u2u if interested and I will give you names and phone numbers of "Good" Mexicano Fisherman, that will take you to the fish and Treat you Well.

Skeet/Loreto

Pescador - 7-15-2008 at 01:22 PM

Frank, the Sea of Cortez is over 1,000 miles long and each area is completely different. I would suggest you pick up or borrow a copy of Gene Kira's and Neil Kelly's book called "The Baja Catch" and see what area interests you. Secondly, decide what you want to target from yellowtail, grouper, roosterfish, billfish, dorado, or whatever and then it is easier to target an area. Also, if you have any family members going with you then you will want to adapt your choice so that they are not grumbling and complaining all the time. The Sea of Cortez begins at Rocky Point or Puerto Penasco and goes all the way to Cabo San Lucas and this is a very diverse and wide ranging area. Also determine what your budget is and what you are wanting to spend on a daily basis which will also affect what you will ultimately zero in on.
I have been fishing this area for a long time and still have not had a chance to sample all of the fishing waters but have been able to zero in on what works very well for me.
So give out a little more information and you will get lots of opinions about where to start checking out.

Don Alley - 7-15-2008 at 04:58 PM

I think you should review Mexfish.com, including its archives. Look at different places and different times of year.

Right now, dorado fishing is excellent around Loreto, and the fish not far off either. But some other areas are good too, like La Paz and the East Cape, maybe not as good for dorado but offer better variety, especially for inshore species, shore fishing (East Cape) and yellowfin tuna. And don't overlook the Pacific side.

The day before yesterday- 5 miles off Mulege at 60 degrees...nuff sed!

CasaManzana - 7-15-2008 at 07:58 PM

palmeto99 - 7-15-2008 at 08:15 PM

Nice pics Jim, That a great set of trophies:lol::lol:

Pescador - 7-16-2008 at 10:44 AM

i have never seen Albies that far north, way to go.

fcasey74 - 7-22-2008 at 09:25 AM

Awesome guys! thanks for the response. I think im going to try going down to San Felipe to start my fishing trip. Any hotel suggestions?

Martyman - 7-22-2008 at 02:54 PM

The fishing is pretty crappy in San Felipe. Better get south of Campo La Costilla. It starts getting better around there. Then go south.

Cypress - 7-22-2008 at 03:08 PM

Martyman,:)The resident reef fish are done in the Sea of Cortez.:( There's a seasonal influx of Dorado etc. that has everybody all excited, but that's about it.:( For 9 months of the year, you can kick back and sharpen your hooks.:biggrin:

flyfishinPam - 7-22-2008 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fcasey74
Hi all

I want to go on vacation to Baja (I'm from California) and I was wondering what the fishing is like on the Sea of Cortez this time of year?

Thanks!
-Frank

excuse the "french" but off Loreto its %&="#¡@ awesome!!!!! on fire!!!

tripledigitken - 7-22-2008 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fcasey74
Awesome guys! thanks for the response. I think im going to try going down to San Felipe to start my fishing trip. Any hotel suggestions?

I hope you plan on going further south, say Bahia de los Angeles, Mulege or Loreto.

Did you look at Mexfish? If fishing is what you are after San Felipe is not your best choice in the Sea of Cortez.

Ken

Skeet/Loreto - 7-22-2008 at 06:55 PM

Do not, I repeat Do Not believe any of the Naysayers! They have been crying and whinning that the Sea is Ruined. It is BS from the word "Go". I was fishing in Mulege in April and it was like it was 20 years ago, Millions and millons of Fish, Bait, Dolphins, Sharks, Amberjack. Yellowtail on the top of the Water for 3/4 of a Mile.
Check out the fishing Forum, look at the Photos and Go Fishin!!

Skeet/Loreto

Alan - 7-23-2008 at 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Albies?? (YFT)

Pescador - 7-23-2008 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Albies?? (YFT)

Definately not yellowfin tuna, the side fins are too long. Check out www.mexfish.com
I am not positive in this identification, but I am pretty sure they are not yellowfin, and the side fins are too long to be any of the barrilette family, but when albies are smaller, the side fins are a little shorter than they are when they get over 15 lbs.

baitcast - 7-23-2008 at 12:40 PM

I was wondering about that"yft"albies hummm.

Forget San Felipe,its hot,the fishings not.
Rob

Cypress - 7-23-2008 at 01:32 PM

Probably some species of Bonita? Put up one hell of a fight, but not real tasty.:biggrin: Make good cut-bait or chum.:yes:

bajabum - 7-25-2008 at 01:58 PM

Pretty sure they be YFT...Just had some, pan seared rare, for dinner last night that were caught of SD a week ago. Yummmmmmm.....

Pescador - 7-25-2008 at 08:12 PM

Gene Kira and I have gone over a whole bunch of pictures, and since it is hard to find pictures of smaller Yellowfin, it is hard to get a comparison but I finally did find some and sure enough their pectoral fins are longer when they are younger and the upper and lower fins do not elongate until they get over about 50 lbs. So I would concur, I think these are Yellowfin Tuna and not albacore.
That is too bad because there have never been albacore caught up into the Sea of Cortez, although there was a school several years back that showed up on the east cape.