BajaNomad

Tecate Eats

akbear - 7-21-2008 at 10:02 AM

Now that my buddy has new tank in truck, we need a few good places to eat in Tecate with general locations so we can fuel up our selves. Any suggestions ?

akbear

[Edited on 7-21-2008 by akbear]

rpleger - 7-21-2008 at 12:55 PM

There used to be a great chicken place in a tyre repair shop just west of downtown...across from the Red Cross.

Pompano - 7-21-2008 at 01:36 PM

What are those sugar stick doughy things we eat from the vendors while waiting in line to cross? I like em.

For a little finer dining, I would drive on down to Lajas or Mustafas. They are top shelf.

A Few Recent Suggestions from Chowhound

Gypsy Jan - 7-21-2008 at 04:09 PM

"well you can go to "tacos jorge" really good tacos next to "caliente" , "los amigos" good carne asada tacos, la guerita are really good ask for the burrito..."

And,

"The big panaderia on the main drag past the zocalo is still there and still going strong.

Also, if you read, you might want to check out some of the short stories by Daniel Reveles. They are set in and around Tecate and are a delight to read. Some of his titles are "Enchiladas, Rice and Beans"and "Tequila, Salt and Lemon". The short stories are charming sweet homage to the life and times of Tecate. They're an easy read and could help get you in the mood for your visit. Some of his stories are food and cantina related."

I heartily second the recommendation for Daniel Reveles' books, they are a very well-written and insightful stories about Tecate and its inhabitants.

Have a great trip!

Paula - 7-21-2008 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
What are those sugar stick doughy things we eat from the vendors while waiting in line to cross? I like em.

For a little finer dining, I would drive on down to Lajas or Mustafas. They are top shelf.

Churros!

I love 'em!! Do they have them on the line in Tecate? We're thinking of crossing there soon, and now that I'm thinking of them I'd hate to miss out!

elizabeth - 7-21-2008 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

I would definitely agree on Laja...but, where, what is Mustafas?

Mustafa

thebajarunner - 7-21-2008 at 06:32 PM

Mustafa is very good, about 10 klicks south of Laja in San Antonio de las Minas.
Directly across the street is Corre Camino, which is my favorite in that area (well, next to Laja)
Mustafa has a middle eastern motif but also Mexican food.
They are all good,

Sorry not one good answer to the real query, however,
because I too would like to now of good restaurants in Tecate.

(typical thread wandering- focus comes hard to Nomad)

The squarecircle - 7-22-2008 at 12:03 AM

Greetings All,

See "Tecate Restaurant gets high marks" in Baja Restaurant Reviews section dated 4-29-2005. >>> Try it > you will like it > if it is still there!

Regards, sq.

Update, por favor

thebajarunner - 7-22-2008 at 02:11 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10329

Here is that thread,
any update comments other than "still there"
3 years is an eternity for Mexico based restaurants IMHO

Alex - 7-22-2008 at 10:34 PM

It seems like a proper Tecate food scene reconaissance is in order. I'll see what I can do in the coming month.

It doesnt seem like there is much of a sub-group of baja foodies on the board or am I mistaken?!