BajaNomad

COAST RUN - PUERTO SANTA CATERINA TO G.N.

rob - 8-5-2008 at 03:44 PM

I was just reading about Udo's trip to Tortugas (man - I want an FJ!) and David K talking about El Rosario, and it reminded me of a journey in 1999.

Turned off the main road south of ER to Puerto Caterina and drove the coast (well, almost all) all the way to Guerrero Negro.

Anybody done that lately? Any updates for Nomads? It seemed pretty adventurous at the time . ..

David K - 8-5-2008 at 06:07 PM

YOU BET ROB!

LAST SUMMER (2007) after the Rosario Festival:

http://vivabaja.com/707/page3.html for road log, photos, and more!

[Edited on 8-6-2008 by David K]

Neal Johns - 8-5-2008 at 06:53 PM

Yes, but......

Copy of MARTIN~2.JPG - 33kB

Taco de Baja - 8-6-2008 at 07:43 AM

That looks terrible Neal!

A friend of my sister's did a similar thing on that coast road; he thought it would be "fun" to drive off the road and onto the nice flat salt flat....:lol: Luckily he stopped and waited to get pulled out and dig not dig himself a hole quite that deep.

Of course I got stuck while driving my sisters Pathfinder through a particularly deep section of polvo on that road. I think she is still getting the dust out, 5-6 years later. My excuse was: "My Tacoma would have easily made it through that...." :yes:

Moral of the story: When I first explored this section of the coast with my parents back in the early 1980’s the only people we say were in the fish camps or on pangas, rarely ever another moving vehicle. Now this section of Baja is seeing more traffic, but there are still dangers, so be prepared.

David K - 8-6-2008 at 07:46 AM

We saw no other vehicles driving the 200 mile road or gringos, last year.

It appeals to surfers seeking remote breaks, and there weren't any of those that we saw... COLD, FOGGY... in July.

bajamikey - 8-6-2008 at 11:51 AM

in june of 2006 two friends and i did this same run on dirt bikes on day 1 we left catavina to guerrero negro. than on day 2 to san ignacio via bahia asuncion and punta abreojos. day 3 san ignacio to punta san francisquito. day 4 short run to bola. day 5 back to catavina, almost 900 miles in 5 days

jodiego - 8-6-2008 at 12:51 PM

What a great adventure. Often wondered about a sea route down that coast. Is there any way to get a better view of that map? Thanks for the great pictures.

David K - 8-6-2008 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jodiego
What a great adventure. Often wondered about a sea route down that coast. Is there any way to get a better view of that map? Thanks for the great pictures.

Just click on the link I gave above : http://vivabaja.com/707/page3.html

That is just the AAA map with our route highlighted... I recommend having both the AAA map and a Baja Almanac with a GPS if you want to explore the area. The road log I provided will get you through, map or no map... it's in the web page.

David K - 8-6-2008 at 01:53 PM

[Edited on 8-6-2008 by David K]

jodiego - 8-8-2008 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
We saw no other vehicles driving the 200 mile road or gringos, last year.

It appeals to surfers seeking remote breaks, and there weren't any of those that we saw... COLD, FOGGY... in July.

Yea, that area of the coastline is mostly winter breaks. Punta Canoas is one of those mysto spots that is an adventure to get to, as you all have shared. Here's a website I found with more pictures and info on Punta Canoas.
http://mercy.smugmug.com/

[Edited on 8-8-2008 by jodiego]