BajaNomad

Nomad wins 4th in Asuncion Governers cup Fishing Tournament

shari - 8-17-2008 at 06:57 PM

Congratulations to Barbareno and team Sirena (Juan & Timo) for winning 4th place in the Governors Cup Fishing Tournament in Bahia Asuncion!!! It was the first time women had competed in this event and so cool that Barb got 4th place with a 24.2 pound yellowtail in the open water division winning 10,000 pesos (which should offset some of the tecate cost)
It was a perfect fishing day, light breeze, low swell, clear water and lots of fish. The biggest YT of the day was 35 pounds. third prize was won by a fellow from cielito lindo in San Quentin. Juan's fishing partner won 2nd place. The governor was on hand as well as the municiple president to hand out the trophies. They announced that the rest of the highway into Asuncion would be finished by the end of this year!!! A fish dinner was served as well. And thus another traditional fiestas comes to an end...I think everyone had a great time and maybe next year more of you will join us.

fiestas 034.jpg - 37kB

shari - 8-17-2008 at 06:59 PM

Barb nearly cried when she got her trophy and cheque! She was the participant who travelled the farthest to be in the derby...all the way from Vernon BC!! Way to go paisana.

fiestas 065.jpg - 42kB

bajadock - 8-17-2008 at 07:12 PM

Congrats to Barbara, Juan, the Modelo Light team and all.

VERNON? I have friends in Vernon and still have my Vernon Country Club repair tool from last visit in '05.

rbwrivers - 8-17-2008 at 07:16 PM

What fun! Congratulations Barb & Juan!

Congratulations...You rule!

ELINVESTIG8R - 8-17-2008 at 07:27 PM

[Edited on 8-18-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

BornFisher - 8-17-2008 at 08:40 PM

That is so exciting! What I love is being on the board and watching the other boats come in. When it`s final call for weigh in, you can tell by the speed of the boats, who might have one to weigh! Then you sweat (counting the seconds) until you see the fish being brought in!! And when it`s over, and you have the hardware and cash, it`s on to the celebration!!
Barb---CONGRATS and remember you rule for at least 1 year!!!!

BirdDog - 8-17-2008 at 09:48 PM

Way to go Barb. Congratulations on the beautiful fish.

Iflyfish - 8-17-2008 at 10:02 PM

You rule girl, eh? Good one!

Iflyfish

Diver - 8-17-2008 at 10:11 PM

If it couldn't be me, I'm glad it was Barb !!
Way to go girl !!

fishbuck - 8-18-2008 at 08:44 AM

Nothing sexier than a girl who knows how to fish.
Another great story from B. Asuncion!

[Edited on 8-18-2008 by fishbuck]

Bajagypsy - 8-18-2008 at 11:19 AM

Yeah Barb, you should them that Canadian girls know how to fish!!!!

Cypress - 8-18-2008 at 12:01 PM

Congratulations to all involved.:bounce:

woody with a view - 8-18-2008 at 12:02 PM

sounds like a great time was had by all.

Tiomiguel - 8-18-2008 at 12:59 PM

Congratulations Barbie,
Oh its such a shame that Tim did not win. Remember Barb, when Tim next makes suggestions to you for fishing, just like my friend who's wife got a hole in one, you say. Thanks Tim and when did you win a Fishing Tournament Ha ha. Great to see the Nomads doing well in that tournament. It always helps to have Juan on your side.

Barbareno - 8-18-2008 at 05:13 PM

Tim and I have just arrived at Baja Cactus in El Rosario. Having a great laugh over the posts but I need to make something clear. Juan caught that winning fish. Tim gaft it as well as catching the rest of the Yellowtail that day. I knew this was going to happen. When we were approaching the weigh in, Juan said to me that I was to take the fish up to have weighed while himself and Tim would take the Panga back to the launch at his house. I am the representative for team Sirena and mighty proud. And tickled pink.

Thats when I got tagged for catching that rascal yellowtail. I had to give them my name and signature and was told to come back with a photo copy of picture ID.

When we get home I plan on sharing more of our adventure with you all. It was a total hoot.

Thanks for all the congratulations on behalf of Juan and Tim as well. It is a day that I will never forget and will bring many a smiles and chuckles. Next year....watch out...we are coming back....for number 1. Be afraid.

Barb

Barb

shari - 8-18-2008 at 06:19 PM

YOu are ALL winners!!! It was a great team effort that really paid off...I think Tim enjoyed the scouting more though...Oh by the way...we just spent all the prize money on Tecate!!!:lol:jejejej glad you got to baja cactus safe and sound...miss you already.

[Edited on 8-19-2008 by shari]

SiReNiTa - 8-18-2008 at 09:03 PM

congrats!!!!! just the fact of entering the derby makes you a winner barbie we love you! check or no check trophy or no trophy!!!!!

Hi Shari

Keri - 8-22-2008 at 08:42 PM

Did you happen to get a picture of the guy from Cielito Lindo. . He is our next door neighbor, One thumb Joe. k

jorgie - 8-23-2008 at 06:57 AM

that's a lot of peso for fourth place, how much for the other placings ???

shari - 8-23-2008 at 08:04 AM

Here is a photo of your amigo from Cielito Lindo who won 3rd prize which was 15,000 pesos, 2nd prize was 20,000 pesos and first prize was 25,000...and cash prizes were a bit less for shore fishing too. And if you won any beach events like the drinking contest or dinghy race, you won a 24 case of tecate!

A quick fish report here....juan has been out the last three days...limiting out before breakfast every day close to home....sorry, cant' give away the secret spots! They did some experimenting yesterday and found that the only rapalla that worked is the white with red head number! We have been downing alot of sashimi and sushi and all juans fishing buddies have large grins. Still no huge YT but most are in the 15-25 pound range and plentiful.

[Edited on 8-23-2008 by shari]

fiestas 071-1.jpg - 36kB

Thanks Shari .Thats him.

Keri - 8-23-2008 at 03:48 PM

We heard from a friend they thought he won but weren't sure. Congrats to all winners. Looks like you all had a great time,k,:tumble::yes:

[Edited on 8-24-2008 by Keri]