BajaNomad

San Quentin

acadist - 8-22-2008 at 04:54 PM

Anyone have any recent reports out of San Quentin? I am considering making the drive for the long weekend next week. I have a friend who may meet me there if the fishing pushes him that way or I may be solo. What do you think about the Old Mill on a holiday weekend, will I be able to get a room and Panga if my friend finds better fishing elsewhere?

Oso - 8-22-2008 at 05:23 PM

May or not be a vacancy. I've always had good experiences there (forget the restaurant) but Jardines a bit further south is much nicer.

acadist - 8-22-2008 at 06:25 PM

How much further? Still in that area?

Scott Peterson has a nice cell there

thebajarunner - 8-22-2008 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Anyone have any recent reports out of San Quentin? I am considering making the drive for the long weekend next week. I have a friend who may meet me there if the fishing pushes him that way or I may be solo. What do you think about the Old Mill on a holiday weekend, will I be able to get a room and Panga if my friend finds better fishing elsewhere?

and a great view of SFBay where he dumped his murdered wife.

Oh, wait...
Bet you meant San Quintin....

sorry 'bout dat...

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

acadist - 8-22-2008 at 06:30 PM

Is it cheap:lol:can I get fish hooks there?:lol:

bajabound2005 - 8-22-2008 at 08:20 PM

Last time I checked, San Quentin was a prison made famous by Johnny Cash...might you mean San Quintin? Because that's where the Old Mill is. The hotel/motel is great but recent reports on this board are avoid the restaurant. We, ourselves, have had a couple of great meals there.

Sorry, but I have real problem with people spelling the names of towns wrong because it's very simple to understand how we can all end up talking about different places....

was I too subtle??

thebajarunner - 8-22-2008 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Last time I checked, San Quentin was a prison made famous by Johnny Cash...might you mean San Quintin? Because that's where the Old Mill is. The hotel/motel is great but recent reports on this board are avoid the restaurant. We, ourselves, have had a couple of great meals there.

Sorry, but I have real problem with people spelling the names of towns wrong because it's very simple to understand how we can all end up talking about different places....

see my post above,
tried to make the same point,
and yeah, we need to be accurate in identifying places like this.

Pescador - 8-22-2008 at 08:42 PM

for up to the minute reports check:

http://www.bloodydecks.com
http://www.mexfish.com

[Edited on 8-23-2008 by Pescador]

bajabound2005 - 8-22-2008 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

see my post above,
tried to make the same point,
and yeah, we need to be accurate in identifying places like this.

No! I just didn't read all the posts! So you made the motion and I second it...

You know what's odd, if you put news stories (in Spanish) through the Google translator, San Quintin always gets changed to San Quentin....go figure!

gnukid - 8-22-2008 at 09:01 PM

Halibut is biting off san quentin!

TonyC - 8-22-2008 at 10:59 PM

I just fished off Paradise just south of San Quentin today, 3 halibut on the troll.

Anyways, about San Quintin. I'm heading down next week also. Good reports the last few weeks. WSB inshore fishing El Socorro area. Just called a friend down there, and water temp. dropped...slowed the bite. Kelly and a few other boats have been fishing offshore, troll, and paddies for dorados, yt, and tuna. There's alway the bottom fishing if you want to fill the freezer.

Bring your own gear you'll pay a bit more down there, and get your fishing lic. here. They sometimes don't have any at the tackle store at the Old Mill, or at Don Eddies.

Fishing with Kelly next week, and hope you make the trip Mike (fishbuck). New moon next week, should be good.

Places to stay, Jardines maybe a mile or so from the Old Mill, there's Don Eddies. All the others are in town, or at Cielito Lindo. 15 min. drive mas o menos. Check the accomadation board for the website I posted for Jardines.

Hope this helps, don't trip on the spelling. Most knew what you meant, but a few on this board love to knit pick at someone elses expense. It makes them feel more knowlegable about THE Baja. :P

Have fun, checkout the beach. Tight lines.

David K - 8-23-2008 at 08:03 AM

How many Baja Spell Checkers are there???:lol::bounce::light::spingrin:

A FEW MORE OF THEM:

PUERTECITOS (not Puertocitos)

LOS BARRILES (not Los Barilles)

GUERRERO NEGRO (not Guerro Negro)

LORETO (not Loretto)

ALFONSINA'S (not Alphonsina's)

SAN VICENTE (not San Vincente)

SANTO TOMAS (not Santo Thomas)

MULEGE (not Muleje)...

805gregg - 8-23-2008 at 08:12 AM

They are getting Bluefin, and Yellowfin tuna out of San diego.

Udo - 8-23-2008 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Quote:
...can I get fish hooks there?:lol:
Yeah, but they go dull fast; no files.

Quote:
GROVER HAS A NEW AVATAR![/B][QUOTE]
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

acadist - 8-23-2008 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
The pressure on a holiday weekend could surely outweigh the good bite

TonyC - 8-23-2008 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The reason I'm heading to San Quintin for offshore. Back in the afternoon for a few beers, and dinner at a resturant. Do it again sunday.

acadist - 8-23-2008 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Quote:
Quote:

The reason I'm heading to San Quintin for offshore. Back in the afternoon for a few beers, and dinner at a resturant. Do it again sunday.

I agree. My main 'problem' is that my friend with a boat may or may not be there, so it is hard to plan in advance. Do you think that I will be able to get a panga at the last moment, especially on the long weekend?

TonyC - 8-23-2008 at 04:41 PM

Last moment....maybe tough. The reports have been pretty good the last few weeks. May have a better chance of sharing a boat with someone already going out. What day? I'm going on Kelly's Parker, saturday & sunday. Sam the guy who set it up, is the guy to talk with. May have room on saturday, or sunday, but not positive. What does last moment mean..that morning, the night before, or a few days before? You have a week, being it's a holiday....I'd have it set up NLT thursday.

acadist - 8-23-2008 at 08:17 PM

The friend I may meet is already on his way down and has no firm plans for the week other than following the fish. I would like to fish Sat & Sun, I will not know for sure until midweek if he will be there.

Udo - 8-23-2008 at 09:28 PM

Plan on the panga costing about $300.00+ U.S. in San Quintin. No deals, since you have to make your reservation the night before with the local pangero broker, and pay in advance the night before. Bring your own gear and several sizes of "crocodiles" for lures, or plan on some more $$$$$$. The cost per pound of the caught fish will shock you!

acadist - 8-24-2008 at 05:41 AM

What is the bait situation there?

Cost per Pound

acadist - 8-24-2008 at 05:44 AM

Quote:
What is the bait situation there?
Cost per pound, it seems like I have driven to Loreto for a couple of fish tacos......;)

Udo - 8-24-2008 at 09:33 AM

For bait they use mackarels that the fishermen catch on a reef just outside the bay. You use some lures for the catch of mackarels.

acadist - 8-24-2008 at 06:35 PM

Is the storm expected to get that far north?