BajaNomad

Asuncion is a Fishy Place!

shari - 8-27-2008 at 07:24 AM

Once upon a time, 3 guys from San diego wrote us to ask how the fishing was in Bahia Asuncion. I told them that it was a reallllly fishy place. Their first day here they fished at the island in their little tin boat and that evening had a feast on the fish they caught....these guys came PREPARED!!!

IMG_8549.JPG - 34kB

shari - 8-27-2008 at 07:26 AM

They fished 3 days non stop and were astounded at the amount of fish biting...even on chewed up lures...
Here is their report they wrote last night...
World class anglers from San Diego, Tom Ward, Darryl Varnado and Danny Harris arrived in Bahia Asuncion on Friday the 22nd of August and stayed at Shari & Juan’s place for an incredible inshore tin boat trip of a life time. Yellow’s a hundred yards from shore, and absolutely gigantic calico’s were eating the paint off the boat. As Shari say’s “Asuncion is a very fishy place”.

The bass were literally eating anything and everything we threw over the side, including a green lead head with a half chewed up fish trap, (see photo). This town is super friendly. Shari and Juan are fantastic people who meet your every need. On the plus side, the beach front accommodations’ were something that we will look back on for quite some time. A trip to Asuncion is a must for your BAJA resume.

tomsfotos 054.jpg - 33kB

shari - 8-27-2008 at 07:29 AM

they were really amazed at the quantity and size of the calicos and how close the fish are...boy did they have a blast.

tomsfotos 050.jpg - 39kB

fishbuck - 8-27-2008 at 07:49 AM

I love calicos! They're like my little diving buddies when I freedive kelp and rocks.
I usually don't keep them anymore. But they sure do taste good!
That's a nice picture!

[Edited on 8-27-2008 by fishbuck]

Diver - 8-27-2008 at 08:24 AM

I remember a wide open bonita day with Juan last winter.
My arms were so tired that I had to pass the rod to Juan for the last fish !!
I LOVE those days !
And I love fishing with Juan !! :yes: :biggrin:

Here's one to try for bonita;
Cut into steaks (across the spine) and soak in teriaki sauce for at least a few hours.
Grill both sides (I like a "grill basket" to flip them without breaking).
You will be surprised at the teriaki tuna taste - it's sooo good !

[Edited on 8-27-2008 by Diver]