BajaNomad

Basque Chicken

Margie - 5-6-2004 at 08:42 PM

This is from the new Joy Of Cooking, by Irma Rombauer.

You will need a very deep skillet, and make sure you buy the Serrano Ham from Spain, a little pricey, but worth it.

Rinse and pat dry3 1/2 to 4 pounds chicken parts, or bone-in breasts

Lightly brown the chicken, 7 minutes a side, ending up with skin side up in 3-4 TBLSP. olive oil.

To the chicken add:
2 pounds red and yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
4 jalapenos peppers, seeded
and minced
12 cloves chopped garlic
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper. 8 2-ounce slices of Serrano Ham, cut like bacon strips

Cook on a low heat, covered, for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant:
2 TBLSP. olive oil

Add:

2 to 3 cups chopped onions
Cook, stirring often, until the onions are tender, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add:

2 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.

Serve over rice, with a salad on the side.

The original recipe called for regular ham, but my Spanish friends increased the amount of ham and changed it to Serrano.

Also, they substituted serrano chiles for the jalapenos, and it came out much more tasty and just better.

They also threw in some green pimiento stuffed olives, and said, "Now, that's the way it's supposed to be!"

bajalera - 7-10-2004 at 04:49 PM

Thanks, Margie--this sounds great, and I'm going to give it a try next week.

Nice to see the current Joy has a recipe like this. After Irma's heirs took over, they didn't always get around to testing the recipes, as she always did. The directions given in an edition I currently have in storage in Albuquerque--it was for enchiladas, I think--said to fry the tortillas until crisp, and then fold them. (Neat trick!)

Lera