BajaNomad

What's your favorite addition for trips into Baja?

Ken Cooke - 9-2-2008 at 11:13 PM

Here's something we haven't touched on yet - what modification or addition has been made to make those trips into Baja a more complete experience?

I'll start by saying, my Garvin Wilderness Rack. It has come in handy by carrying 2 Gas Jerry cans, a shovel, a full-sized spare tire, a Hi-Lift Jack, *and* an ice chest filled with food and plenty of Sol Cerveza!!

Plus, the bumper has a Class II hitch and can be used as a tow point. Pretty complete if you asked me...

Mexitron - 9-3-2008 at 05:00 AM

My racks I bought for the truck for use in my contracting business have come in handy in Baja over the years--I use them for the surfboards, extra storage, clothes drying rack, and at various times as a pelican perch.

beachbum1A - 9-3-2008 at 06:10 AM

Complete except for the SOL!
REAL Nomads would only carry Pacifico cerveza unless it was trully an emergency situation- then any brand would do.

woody with a view - 9-3-2008 at 07:24 AM

gotta be my cargo net. until i get a bigger truck this beauty allows me to bring the kitchen sink....:lol:

100_1417 (Small).jpg - 36kB

stimbo - 9-3-2008 at 08:05 AM

I'm asking Santa for new tires this Christmas....

Neal Johns - 9-3-2008 at 10:55 PM

Bigger tires is the most important thing. You can air down more (for the same carrying capacity) and get better flotation in sand and also a softer ride.

My current wife made the mistake of saying " Let's really fix this Tacoma up". So....we now have a Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 reduction box in the drive train, King Coil-Overs in the front for a 2.5 inch lift, a few extra leaves in the rear to hold the new Northstar camper up, LightSpeed hydraulic bump stops, and 33 x 12:50 x 15 fat BFG All Terrain KO's.

Neal

P1010861 [800x600].JPG - 49kB

TMW - 9-4-2008 at 07:10 AM

Nice setup Neal.

joel - 9-4-2008 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
So....we now have a Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 reduction box in the drive train, King Coil-Overs in the front for a 2.5 inch lift, a few extra leaves in the rear to hold the new Northstar camper up, LightSpeed hydraulic bump stops, and 33 x 12:50 x 15 fat BFG All Terrain KO's.

Neal

Neal, can you tell me what the reduction box and hydraulic bump stops do for you? Look for upgrades and maybe I need those.

stimbo - 9-4-2008 at 07:34 AM

Ditto Neal, nice setup. Is your photo taken in the Whites or Inyos by chance?

Jim

bajalou - 9-4-2008 at 07:48 AM

Good job Marian.

woody with a view - 9-4-2008 at 07:52 AM

Quote:

My current wife made the mistake of saying " Let's really fix this Tacoma up".

make sure she stays "current".:light::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 9-4-2008 at 08:20 AM

Good tires... major important factor in having a good trip. I have had plenty of flats with BFG Rugged Trail and All Terrain T/A tires in Baja... I have had no flats with Cooper Discoverer STT tires (but they are noisey) or with Toyo Open Country A/T (now on my truck).

Fast air pump to refill them if doing any sand driving. Doug sells one here on Tienda Baja Nomad, and Harbor Freight has a similar one often on sale... both under $100. An onboard air system would be nice if you have the room and money for one.

GPS... one with preloaded Baja topo maps like LB Maps has is a great feature when back country driving.

The Baja California Almanac map book (2003) or the new one as soon as it is printed this year, we hope!

Extra lights for lighting up the trails at night are nice to have. HIDs use only 35 watts and light up the night like daylight, but are usually expensive ($400+). Kragen has one for $120. Otherwise, 100-150 watt halogen lights are available.

Shade is very important when camping in Baja, and trees are not always an option! A tarp, 1" pvc sch. 40 pipe (5 pieces), 4 bungee cords and buckets or sand bags is an easy set up, or the fancy pop up shades... but the bungees and buckets/ bags full of sand are needed for the breezes in Baja.

That's my short list... :wow:

[Edited on 9-4-2008 by David K]

Neal Johns - 9-4-2008 at 05:52 PM

Pic location was Gabbs Valley Range, NV

Marlin Crawler excellent for large rocks, otherwise not needed, cheaper ratio (4.2?) is just as good.

King coilover lift A+.

Bumpstops only for guys that marry well (four figures cost). Good for unseen big bumps. :bounce:

Camper is glued and screwed together. Nicer but wider than 4WheelCamper.

Diver - 9-4-2008 at 09:47 PM

We picked up one of these Coleman hot water heaters; http://www.comfortforless.com/cohotwaondep.html

Great for dishes, kid clean-ups and long showers !
Hooks up to a larger propane tank with an adapter hose.
Can be connected to a camper or boat water hose.
Also a great hot water source when the power goes out for those that have elevtric hot water.

Paulina - 9-4-2008 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

Oh Woody, if you only knew.....

WIW#1 P<*)))>{

Paulina - 9-4-2008 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Here's something we haven't touched on yet - what modification or addition has been made to make those trips into Baja a more complete experience?

Here's my modification/addition that has made my baja experience more complete. (Hint: It's not the luggable-loo).

P<*)))>{

Iflyfish - 9-5-2008 at 12:52 AM

Suspension, suspension, suspension, tires, wasabi and peanut butter.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 9-5-2008 at 12:53 AM

I forgot my bag of Ni Modo

Iflyfish

David K - 9-5-2008 at 08:44 AM

My stock suspension was okay... if I drove slow... But, that's just not me!

Switched the stock rear Bilsteins yellows with their 5100s and added Ride Rite/ Firestone adjustable air springs (air bags)... Now, I never bottom out!!!

AirbagTest 004r.JPG - 47kB

without a doubt!!

Tomas Tierra - 9-5-2008 at 09:02 AM

My favorite addition for trips into Baja is my Four Wheel Camper..After a decade of tent camping, or sleeping in the bed of the truck, it is supreme Baja luxury..

My second Four Wheel Camper:

DSCN1926.JPG - 23kB

My first FWC

Tomas Tierra - 9-5-2008 at 09:05 AM

This is the camper that changed my life! Though this combo has been separated, both units live on!

1011801270_004.JPG - 34kB

k-rico - 9-5-2008 at 09:22 AM

Yes, expect flat tires and have the gear to change them. One time I was crossing a small stream and a submerged piece of angle iron sliced open the sidewall on an almost new tire. It exploded under water!

In addition to the dinky jack and wrench that came with my truck I carry one of those big x shaped lug nut wrenches, a bottle jack, and two 18" 4x12 boards to use as a base for the jacks. Jacks also come in handy when your stuck in the sand and you've spun the tires too much. Lift the wheel and fill in the hole, and the 4x12s are useful to drive up upon to level off the truck when camped on a slope (beach).

I also carry an extra fully charged car battery and a 120VAC trickle charger. On my last trip the alternator quit and drained the battery while my wife drove the truck solo to Mulege from Santispac and back. The next morning we get up early to leave and the truck battery was absolutely dead. The extra battery got us started and I found a used alternator in Cd. Constitution.

Ken Cooke - 9-5-2008 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Yes, expect flat tires and have the gear to change them.

These bias-ply tires only lasted 25,000 mi. but I did not even bother carrying a spare to Baja for the 1 year that I ran them...

I now run the more street-biased Radial TrXus MT tire by Interco, and I haven't had a single problem, plus these treads stay grippy up until about 45,000 miles!

Tread wisely...:!:

David K - 9-6-2008 at 08:13 AM

How is the noise Ken? (with your stereo off)

Here pictured is the Cooper Discoverer STT, I ran before the Toyos... Got 35,000 miles out of them. They were great on the road to Mision Santa Maria and Laguna Chapala mud. People who saw them liked the looks (rugged 4WD look).

They were lousy on Shell Island or any other sand, requiring to be lowered at least to 10 psi to float. (3 ply sidewall). The worst part was the noise... just way too loud.

The Toyo Open Country A/T I have now work great in sand (15 psi, 2 ply sidewall), are quiet on the highway, and last weekend proved themselves in the mud... They just don't have that 'look'!

discoverer_STT.jpg - 7kB

Ken Cooke - 9-6-2008 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How is the noise Ken? (with your stereo off)

With the radio turned off, the TrXus MT tires are not loud at all. I do have a hard top, so most of the noise is not audible inside with the air conditioner turned on and the windows rolled up.

The bias-ply TSL-SXs (shown above) were just too loud. Even with the windows rolled up at highway speeds, you had to shout at the person beside you, and the stereo didn't even compensate for the noise those tires emitted. That is why I ran BFG ATs afterwards.

On the road from Mike's Sky Rancho to Rancho Coyote, I got lots of tirespin from the BFG ATs on the trail. Gretchen and Andrew spotted for me, and on the trail they reported seeing my tires spin in precarious places on the trail. I decided safety on the trail was more important than running a quiet tire on the street. Hence, my decision to run Mud-Terrain tires ever since...

Pappy Jon - 9-20-2008 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

No contest. My Engel fridge with a second axillary battery. A few years ago I did a trip report for some off-road buddies and every so often I made a comment about having to stop for ice. The next trip one of them loaned me his Engel 45 ... and there was no turning back. I currently run an Engel 35 since it fits in the 4Runner a bit better. The second battery is a small Odyssey deep cycle that will run the fridge for about a day.

[Edited on 9-20-2008 by Pappy Jon]

BajaGringo - 9-20-2008 at 10:11 AM

One thing I never forget to bring...

Diver - 9-20-2008 at 10:14 AM

For Margies Yes but for all else;

don-julio_0855_r3.jpg - 7kB

BajaGringo - 9-20-2008 at 10:51 AM

Good choice Diver - but I tend to stick to my Cadillac Margaritas. For some reason I just seem to like the way the Cazadores blends with the Grand Marnier a bit better than Don Julio.

But I would never turn it away if you bring the bottle to the party - ha!

:biggrin:

Gadget - 9-20-2008 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

She's a keeper!

Gadget - 9-20-2008 at 12:56 PM

The Baja Box.
10 years old, lots of mods to sort it out for extreme use.
3500lb. torsion bar axel with hydraulic disc brakes installed last year.
Floats along behind GSB like cloud.

[Edited on 9-20-2008 by Gadget]

Punta Cabras 06 012r.JPG - 26kB

BAJACAT - 9-20-2008 at 03:11 PM

Well let's see, 6" FABTECH suspention lift,A750 watts converter, for my xmas lights,battery charger,on board air compressor(HARBOR TOOLS),.bushwackers wheelflares,35" PROCOMP All terrain tires,Highlift jack,and don't forget the XX AMBER ..