BajaNomad

24 ft motorhome towing a car

bajaretreat - 9-3-2008 at 12:56 PM

Looking for advice. We have a 24 ft motorhome, 5.7 Chevy engine, 1992 model, in great mechanical shape. Hubby feels that towing our car (ford contour), would be too much for the engine. Our mechanic seems to think it will be okay but he is unfamiliar with driving in Baja (or is it La Baja?)....

Anyone have any similar experience or knowlege to share?

Pescador - 9-3-2008 at 02:35 PM

Except for the Santa Rosalia Grade and the Loreto grade, there are not many steep and long areas in the Baja. You should have no problem but just remember to keep the transmission downshifted and in a lower gear going up any hills. I worry more about the transmission overheating than I ever do about that particular engine.

wakemall - 9-3-2008 at 05:39 PM

Pescador is absolutely correct. Manually control the trans on grades. Do not lug the trans.

Although I would install an aftermarket trans cooler. Cheap safety.

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2008 at 06:42 PM

i dont think that trans can handle a fully loaded rv plus a car or truck

you'll burn it up...

hard to repair here

BajaWarrior - 9-3-2008 at 06:48 PM

How are you towing it? On a Dolly or flatbed trailer? A Ford Contour is probably an Automatic transmission and would need a lube pump to tow it on the ground.

Am I correct on this guys?

Also, the grade not mentioned going downhill heading south is the one coming into El Rosario. I smoked my brakes and had both feet on the brake pedal towing only a VW Buggy behind a Dodge Crew Cab with a 12' cabover camper. Lotsa weight heading south...

bajaretreat - 9-3-2008 at 09:43 PM

We'd be towing with a dolly, and the car is an automatic front wheel drive. There is a tranny gauge on the dash to monitor the temp. as well.

I don't think we will be towing...hubby feels the same as the above reply that we'd burn up the transmission and not worth the risk. Thanks all for the replies....

Hook - 9-4-2008 at 04:42 AM

IF you're concerned about the transmission, change out the fluid and replace it with synthetic tranny fluid, like a Mobil One.

Trannies burn up because they reach temps that breakdown conventional tranny fluid and then the moving parts have no lubrication. A synthetic wont break down at temps you are likely to create (+- 225F). Tranny parts can take temps this high..........but not without adequate lubrication.

Make sure your brakes are in top condition and learn how to manually shift your tranny on DOWNHILL grades. Most MHs dont have a low enough first gear to tackle the SR grade w/o having to use the brakes liberally.

Oh, and try and plan on going UP the bad grades before 10am, if possible.