BajaNomad

Bahia Asuncion Fishing Report

BirdDog - 9-12-2008 at 08:42 PM

Juan took Michelle and I out today for the greatest fishing day ever.

IMG_8735.jpg - 32kB

BirdDog - 9-12-2008 at 08:49 PM

The tuna are here!!!!!!!!!:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

IMG_8718.jpg - 31kB

BirdDog - 9-12-2008 at 08:52 PM

And the yellowtail, calico and benita. Pics to come.

Bajaboy - 9-12-2008 at 08:54 PM

Well, at least it's not Shari rubbing it in. Glad you have a great day on the water. We'll be down in November.

Zac

Paulina - 9-12-2008 at 08:56 PM

Nice fish!

Barbareno - 9-13-2008 at 04:56 AM

LOLOLOL BirdDog that first picture of the fish you caught, it must of been a good scrapper, look at all the blood on your hands and tee shirt. Did Juan have to strap you in to haul that monster aboard? :lol:

Barb

Russ - 9-13-2008 at 05:01 AM

I am sooo jealous !

woody with a view - 9-13-2008 at 06:50 AM

what did you get the YFT with? bait? iron?

Iflyfish - 9-13-2008 at 07:07 AM

You killed Charlie.....shame on you!

This will keep you from eating all the Lion Paws and I guess that is a good thing!

Love the pics.

Iflyfish

BirdDog - 9-13-2008 at 08:03 AM

I sure love seeing the grins of our beloved nomad amigos when they start unloading the fish! The birddogs were getting real antsy as they'd missed thier first trip "due to illness" (translation:hangover) and then Lowell's big swell kept everyone on shore...so they were more than ready yesterday for a big day.
Juan installed rod holders but Birddog said they didn't use them...no time....they'd just put the rod in the holder and BAM...they were trolling rapallas for YT and cedar plugs for dorado...birddog will fill in the details later I'm sure.
Msbirddog caught the biggest fish...a real fat yellowfin tuna...around 50 pounds she managed to land all by herself!
She is one buff chick!

They got into tuna at the end of the day and were bushed from reeling in so many yellowtail, calico, bonita & dorado
We sent Jetboy for his scale but even the smallest tuna maxed it out at 26 pounds. One tuna had 8 fresh sardines in it's belly.

Everyone got involved in the bloody process of cleaning and bagging...note Jetboy arriving with yet more fuel!

Michelle had this really cool portable vacuum packer!

check out this filet!!!

These were the first yellowfin tunas we have caught from our pangas so of course we needed to celebrate....baked tuna, sashimi and saki....and man oh man were they delicious.

On the 3rd plate of lucious red tuna sashimi, Jetboy paused and exclaimed "This MUST be either illegal or immoral!!!" He's gonna bring his sushi chef buddy down soon. The first plate I prepared were nice polite peices that got devoured fast and Birddogs style of sashimi were like foot longs!!!

As always, a great time was had by all...the saki helped!
But I sure had a hard time getting up early to see Juan and Rodorado off this morning....where are those aspirin?

shari - 9-13-2008 at 08:06 AM

ooops, I didn't notice I was signed in as birddog...whew...glad shari isn't shamelessly promoting the fishing!!! jejejejejej
Russ...I think you need to make a trip over here!

David K - 9-13-2008 at 09:27 AM

This is just great.... :P:bounce::yes:

Congrats on the take and eating party afterwards!

Shari... you posting from Bahia Asuncion has been the greatest asset that region of Baja has ever expeienced! I am so happy for the people of Asuncion and the Nomads who have discovered the place, thanks to you!

Cypress - 9-13-2008 at 10:06 AM

Congrats on the fine catch.:D Thanks for the pictures.

BirdDog - 9-13-2008 at 02:29 PM

The fishing has been awesome here. The tuna are still here. Cedar plugs are the lure we used for those awesome fighting fish. We used purple and firetiger. But i think you could have thrown an old boot with a hook and caught fish. Going out tomorrow for more tuna. Too bad Diver won't be in the boat. We miss ya man. And yes this is Birddog not some crazy lady impersonating me.

Diver - 9-13-2008 at 03:04 PM

Hey BirdDog,
Well if it couldn't be me, I'm glad it's you and Michelle having such a blast !
First Dorado and now Tuna; what's next ? Swordfish off the beach ?? :biggrin:

I'm also thrilled for Juan; he's got to be the happiest panguero around !

[Edited on 9-13-2008 by Diver]

woody with a view - 9-13-2008 at 03:08 PM

hey BirdDog

how about a foto of your plugs. i'm just gearing up for our trip and would like to see what's working.

Russ - 9-13-2008 at 03:13 PM

Shari, Thankx for thinking of me during your time of glory. I just returned from my second trip north and am going to enjoy PC for awhile yet. Sheesh.. how do those people up there live without the Baja??? I hope to visit soon. I saw BirdDog's chocolate lab in the photos and realized Mason sure would like to visit again too.

Mason's excited at the thought of a visit. maybe he's a little OVERjoyed

[Edited on 9-13-2008 by Russ]

Mason.jpg - 46kB

Diver - 9-13-2008 at 03:22 PM

Maybe something like this ??
They are making all kinds of fancy plugs these days.

plug.jpg - 36kB

rbwrivers - 9-13-2008 at 03:43 PM

My favorite color is purple!

A super massge from Zitlahli this morning and I'm ready for what the sea will throw to me tomorrow.

Bye....from the point of paradise.

M

BirdDog - 9-13-2008 at 04:17 PM

Diver has the plug. The ones we used were purple with black stripes on the back and firetiger. Some were caught on the plain ones also. Tommorrow we will try other colors to see what happens. Tough being at a place were you can do that and know you are going to catch fish. One last thing TECATE!!!!!!!!!!

Diver - 9-13-2008 at 06:30 PM

So how far out did you find those chicken-of-the-sea ??

How did you find them ?

Trolling for YT and found them or at a paddy with dorado or chunking or ...?

Fess up dude; YFT are not an everyday event in Asuncion ! :yes:

BirdDog - 9-13-2008 at 07:33 PM

Michelle said she saw birds diving so we headed that way and holy chit the tuna were there. Cedar plugs were the ticket.

AcuDoc - 9-13-2008 at 09:19 PM

is there a launch ramp?

AcuDoc - 9-13-2008 at 09:20 PM

how far out is the fishing and is it accessible for tin boats

AcuDoc - 9-13-2008 at 09:22 PM

Diver where do you get those cedar plugs, I haven't seen those types before

Diver - 9-13-2008 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
Diver where do you get those cedar plugs, I haven't seen those types before

The picture I show is a Strike Pro.
I found these in SD but can't find them online.
I'm not sure which brand BirdDog was using but these are as good as any;

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_101...

woody with a view - 9-14-2008 at 07:11 AM

what kind of knot do you tie these with, uni?

Osprey - 9-14-2008 at 08:15 AM

Woody, not that simple for me. To be effective, the hook on my cedar plugs have to slide out of the plug with the strike -- otherwise the plug can lever the hook out of the mouth. Soooo it takes a special hook eye and the knot must be tight and simple to allow the hook to slide easily out of the leather (?) liner inside the plug. I use a Perfection knot and I pull it down very tight and lube it til I'm satisfied it will slide OKay. A little more important for me because down here I use the plugs for everything, not just tuna. Have caught marlin/sail/pez fuerte/roosters/dorado/sierra/tuna/bonita/barillete, etc. etc.

comitan - 9-14-2008 at 08:47 AM

Online source.

http://store.ebait.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&am...

Diver - 9-14-2008 at 09:24 AM

http://www.stripersurf.com/knot_leaders.html

Hear's a simple example of an Albright knot and a Surgeon's knot.
Both are good mono to mono connections.

Osprey - 9-14-2008 at 09:39 AM

Thanks Diver. I only use cedars for trolling and I don't usually bother with flouro then. So I use a 6 ft leader, usually 80 Jinkai and a swivel. I use the Albright for catch and release -- the way I tie it assures a long line release at the knot.

Diver - 9-14-2008 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I use the Albright for catch and release -- the way I tie it assures a long line release at the knot.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Diver - 9-14-2008 at 09:55 AM

Is this your Perfection knot ?
I've never tried it as I normally use a variation of a cinch knot for this purpose.

STEP 1. With the standing end in your left hand and the tag end in your right form a loop. Make sure the tag end is behind the standing end. Hold the lines in place by pinching with your thumb and index finger.
STEP 2. With the lines P-nched in your left hand make a loop in front of the first loop with the tag end. Again, make sure the tag end exits behind both loops.
STEP 3. Pass the tag end between the 2 loops, continuing to pinch all lines with the left hand.
STEP 4. Pass the loop closest to you over the tag end and through the rear loop.
STEP 5. As with all knots, lubricate before tightening. Pull the loop (the one passed through the rear loop) and the standing end in opposite directions and tighten down firmly.

Perfectionloop-knotdb.jpg - 33kB

shari - 9-14-2008 at 02:05 PM

the tuna arent' that far out these days...3-5 miles off of Asuncion...and dorado are closer and yellowtail are all over the place. They saw billfish with the tuna too but didn't have anything to catch em on.
Launching is a challenge here in a big swell. There are several beach launching areas we use depending on swell directions...but plan to get your truck wet. You can fish in a small tin boat as long as you come in early before the wind comes up.
Birddog, msdog, kevin and jaun went out again today and slayed tuna all morning...one after another...sealions got a bunch of em though...dorado too but just medium ones.
wait till you see msbirddogs pics and video....terrific!

Osprey - 9-14-2008 at 02:26 PM

Diver, I use the Rapala knot on rapala type lures, the Perfection knot on bait hooks and swivels from 60 to 300 lbs. It's a heavy line knot -- I just use it on my cedar leader cause I can cinch it down pretty neat. There are undoubtedly better knots for the flat, skinny eye of a cedar plug than the one I use (using metal sleeves is tricky for this settup -- just pull out a cedar rigged hook and see how the factory did it)

AcuDoc - 9-14-2008 at 06:08 PM

I've been fishing Baja for 20 years. I have a 16.5' klamath center console 50hp. I've been as far out as 30-40 miles but more comfortable 10-15. You just have to watch the wind as you say and pay attention or you pay with your life.

There is only one true in nature.... you screw up you die, don't break the rule!

[Edited on 9-15-2008 by AcuDoc]

dao45 - 9-27-2008 at 02:12 AM

Actually being a newbie to salty water fishing I probablly shouldnt comment BUT/ LOL
Juan showed me the knot he uses seems to be a trilene knot with a slight variation.
If you go there to fish. Hook up with Juan and forget what you know.He will definately put on the fish.AND will mke sure you bring them in
Juan ! Salud amigo.Hope too see you soon

2-tie-dye-4 - 9-27-2008 at 09:03 PM

I find that the best knots and lures and techniques are to just let Rodorado or Juan "hook you up" and then HANG ON. .