BajaNomad

quick trip to La Paz..NEW PHOTOS ADDED

shari - 9-16-2008 at 07:34 PM

Wow, rained alot of the morning from loreto to la paz...the road is in pretty rough shape so you need to take it real easy as there are alot of washouts with bumps.
We got to meet our new grandson Saul today, who is gorgeous! Nice to have a little holiday from fishing!!!

[Edited on 9-21-2008 by shari]

saul 5x7.jpg - 41kB

Tomas Tierra - 9-16-2008 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Nice to have a little holiday from fishing!!!

I know how you feel.. Sometimes it's just nice to get away..

Our weather is laying down a bit here, so we are going tomorow..pull up, wind down, pull up, wind down. aaargh, the insanity:cool:

Great looking little boy!!!! Felicidades!!!

[Edited on 9-24-2008 by Tomas Tierra]

Bajagypsy - 9-17-2008 at 06:55 AM

So exciting about your grandson Saul, you two must be over the moon, loving it to bits!

redmesa - 9-17-2008 at 09:49 AM

Finally , Juan is getting some ninos in the family. I know he loves all his sisters, but hey, little boys are fun, too! We hope to meet Saul one of these days. Great name...very solid and just. See ya soon!
Oh, Suzanna!

shari - 9-18-2008 at 09:27 AM

Spent the night in puerto San CArlos and just bought a bunch of fresh off the boat shrimp and scallops to take home...I´m getting tired of dorado, YT and tuna!!! The road into San Carlos is excellent and hotel Palmar was fine for $25. It was cool to watch all the shrimp boats come in in the morning...launching and hauling out is SO EASY there!

IMG_8792.jpg - 23kB

Bajaboy - 9-18-2008 at 09:47 AM

Can't wait for the new fishing buddies, Gabriel and Saul, to meet up.

zac

Paulina - 9-18-2008 at 10:14 AM

Congratulations on your new grandson.

P<*)))>{

dtbushpilot - 9-18-2008 at 10:21 AM

Congratulations Shari and Juan! I know how much fun grand kids can be...If I had known sooner I would have had them first. A great present for grand kids is a whistle. Anybody can play a whistle. I know that my kids loved me for giving my grand kids one....

Hope to see you guys soon....dt, jt..

shari - 9-20-2008 at 04:24 PM

WEEEEERE BACK...AND SOOOOO glad to be home where it is cool and no bobitos...little things that fly up your nose and in your ears! It was nice to get away for a few days but I really don't know how people stand the heat over on the gulf side and the bugs drove me to distraction...it's beautiful and oh so green....but I'm glad we are on the pacific side.

The highlight of our trip (apart from cooing over Saul) was our visit with Comitan and his lovely wife who was a terrific swimming companion (we spent a better part of an afternoon in the pool!!!) The shrimp salad was fantastic and we left laden with goodies and a loaf of homemade sourdough. Now if we can only find a ride here for the washing machine, I'd be forever thankful!

On the way home from San Carlos...after loading up on scallops and enormous shrimp nearly as big as lobster... we stopped into a little palapa restaurant in Insurgentes just before the turnoff south as we saw a sign that said "borrego horneado" which means baked lamb!!! WOW...definately a great place to stop for lunch...the lamb in consome was superb and $5 an order...check it out!

We spent another night in Mulege to say goodbye to the Birddogs who were going fishing there...here they are getting loaded....er...loading the boat...the dogs are ready to go dark or not.

and had a very nice visit with mulegena. They sure have a gorgeous place there on the river...NOW I understand why people are reluctant to move...such a lovely spot...loved their birds.

Juan rested today and will head out fishing tomorrow...and our guests brought more venison and elk to share at our Sunday feast.

IMG_8793.jpg - 42kB

comitan - 9-20-2008 at 06:30 PM

Shari

It was great to meet you and Juan and looking forward to the next time.

wiley

shari - 9-20-2008 at 07:55 PM

I forgot to mention that we stayed at the Oasis in La Paz...what a fantastic place for $30...2 pools, chinese restaurant, gorgeous grounds and lots of birds, peac-cks,cats and chickens and enormous clean rooms.

IMG_8781.jpg - 48kB

Bajagypsy - 9-21-2008 at 07:06 AM

Shari your grandson is beautiful! What a little angel!

Don Alley - 9-21-2008 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Nice to have a little holiday from fishing!!!

Huh? I don't get it.:lol:

I'm on holiday and look what I caught here. Ain't no yellowtail.

cut.jpg - 42kB

vandenberg - 9-21-2008 at 09:53 AM

Mini King salmon :?::?::?::biggrin:

Skip_Mac - 9-21-2008 at 06:27 PM

Sheri, always nice to read your messages. I stayed at Yeneka in La Paz, based on the Green Tortoise reimplementation. Really unique building but otherwise not so nice. I will keep the Oasis in mind.
Sad that you are tired of some fish species. I really wish I had that problem. In fact would you trade a collapsing economy, hate mongering internet posters and high stress in the SF Bay area for your life.

I thought not. Still trying to work out a trip South. I may have to take the time off without pay (America is sooo wonderful). but I am thinking the stress relief would be worth it.

My best to you, and all. Hope Sirena is adjusting to university, I know it can be hard. Still, Mary is not far away and is always ready to help...even if it is hard on her. She's just that kind of KIND person.

Cheers,
Skip

Iflyfish - 9-22-2008 at 09:59 AM

What a cutie! Ready for the boxeo already?

Sounds like a great trip and a wonderful visit with Comitan, what a pleasure to spend time with that guy!

Favorite Far Side Cartoon, intersection of two barb wire fences, four cows eating grass out of neighbors pasture.

What a struggle to have to return to the mundane world of yellowtail, dorado etc.

Iflyfishinbcwherethesockeyedidnotshowthisyearsohaveonetroutinthefrigthatwascaughtbymrsfish

mulegemichael - 9-24-2008 at 06:50 AM

a beautiful little boy, shari and juan; congrats!...too bad about all those do dos and yellowtail over there...must be a drag...we'll see if we can thin some of them out when we get there in just over a month....can't wait!...see you soon!

dtbushpilot - 9-24-2008 at 06:59 AM

"I'm on holiday and look what I caught here. Ain't no yellowtail."

Might make a good bait in the East Cape:lol:.......dt

shari - 9-24-2008 at 08:20 AM

Yesterday the sardines were very close to the beach and you could see yellowtail finning there...Juan was nearly jumpin out of his thong! So this morning at dawn he says...mi vida..Kevin and I are going to take a spin to check out the engine(might as well take a couple rods too)...yeah RIIIIIIGHT...guess he forgot it was just the trim tab they fixed :lol::lol::lol:
Yellowtails caught off the rocks yesterday by our house too....just keeps getting better!

jorgie - 9-25-2008 at 04:56 PM

Iflyfish, what is your ETA Asuncion ??

fishbuck - 9-25-2008 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yesterday the sardines were very close to the beach and you could see yellowtail finning there...Juan was nearly jumpin out of his thong! So this morning at dawn he says...mi vida..Kevin and I are going to take a spin to check out the engine(might as well take a couple rods too)...yeah RIIIIIIGHT...guess he forgot it was just the trim tab they fixed :lol::lol::lol:
Yellowtails caught off the rocks yesterday by our house too....just keeps getting better!

Somebody please fly down there with me! I can't take it anymore!!!:bounce:

docsmom - 10-1-2008 at 10:09 AM

Hey Shari,
"Grandchildren", the reward we receive for raising our children! Grandchildren are the pure love at the end of the painful but rewarding journey of being Moms & Dads! We love and kiss the babies, do a little spoiling, then hand them back to someone else to correct. What could be better payoff?
I love being a Grandma!
Really pretty baby there!!!!!

[Edited on 10-1-2008 by docsmom]

Ken Bondy - 10-1-2008 at 10:41 AM

If I had known how much fun grandchildren are I would have had them first.

++Ken++

PS I stole that from someone, hope it wasn't here on Nomads :lol:

[Edited on 10-1-2008 by Ken Bondy]