BajaNomad

Trolling question

TonyC - 10-2-2008 at 09:16 PM

We troll with at least 4 rods, as many as seven for tuna, two guys, maybe three on the boat in California. Are you only allowed to troll one rod per angler in Mexican water?

BajaNuts - 10-2-2008 at 09:45 PM

not a fisherperson, so I can't answer the question.
Maybe those who have checked on this post think you are asking about the little gremlins who haunt the forums and post bad things????
:lol::lol:
hope someone can answer for you.:biggrin:

Don Alley - 10-2-2008 at 10:25 PM

The rules: One rod, in use, per angler.

Fishing at Zihuatanejo on the mainland, where they troll for sailfish and marlin, they will put out 4 lines, even if there is only a captain and client aboard. Not within the law, but it's how they do it. I don't fish Cabo, but that's bigtime trolling country and they may fish big spreads regardless of the number aboard. Someone here may know.

Loreto pangas generally will troll a legal two rods, assuming at least one angler and one skipper.

It's like a lot of rules in Mexico: on the one hand there is the law, on the other local common custom. Keep in mind that in fast growing areas, interpretation and enforcement of the law are evolving and changing.

2-tie-dye-4 - 10-2-2008 at 10:38 PM

well guys, In my experience, it doesn't really matter what the law is, but on a panga ( a good one) two poles is enough to get tangled, and that's with a person on each pole. Maybe I'm biased because the fishing was so good, but an third pole, with a third person makes it even more difficult when y'all catch one at the same time. And that happened a lot on our trip.
Please be assured I did not mean I don't care about the law, I mean that sometimes the law might allow more than is practical at a particular moment. I'm proud to say that I got tangled with Rodorado, and I'm talking major twisting lines and we both had fish and thanks to Juan, they both came aboard. Jigging is another thing, but trolling, you may be running around the boat trying to stay clear on double catches, which we had a lot of. A third line is trouble in that situation.

4baja - 10-3-2008 at 06:32 AM

it depends on what your fishing for and how many people there are to clear the lines once hooked up. dorado fishing i will troll max two lines and once hooked the person not hooked starts throwing iron. albacore i troll at least 4 lines because once hooked they start to run deep. if i have more then three people on board i will troll 6 lines and maybe a couple bungied hand lines off the transome. i slow troll two lines for yellowtail and once hooked bring the other line in.

dtbushpilot - 10-3-2008 at 07:29 AM

When fishing by myself in my tin boat I always troll 2 lines but as often as not, when I get a hookup it's a double. Sometimes I manage to bring them both in but sometimes it's a mess. Still fun though, after all it's called fishing not catching. Never thought about the legality issue, maybe I will now.....dt

flyfishinPam - 10-3-2008 at 01:36 PM

the law in Mexico is one rod in use per licensed angler, number or backup rods is unrestricted.

Cajones - 10-3-2008 at 01:47 PM

It never ceases to amaze me that people on this board post about how they violated Mexican laws. Even more amazing is that some of them even have their real name in their profiles.