BajaNomad

funny fish story

shari - 10-3-2008 at 06:03 PM

So Dave from San Quintin goes out fishing with Juan today...pretty hungover but happy with some hair of the dog. When they get back in Dave tell me this great story. It goes like this...by 9:00 in the morning after catching his 5 yellowtail on the first 5 casts and releasing a bunch...they decide to go jig for bass.
Dave caught the biggest calico bass he'd EVER seen....and he is a fisherman...this thing was humongous....on steroids or something. So Dave is taking the hook out and Juan says "I think you should throw it back...it's way too small" jejeje.....SO HE DOES!!!!! Juan couldn't believe it.
He laughed his butt off when he told me and I just shook my head! They had a fantastic day.
Our amigos from Mulege who are visiting also had an incredible day...Beth found a gorgeous megaladon tooth hiking in the arroyo near san roque and our kayak buds were stoked with all the fish they caught from their kayaks. They had these really neat peddle gismos so they have their hands free to reel in fish...they can troll at 3 knots! They also caught tons of croaker and a nice corvina from shore at the surf beach after surfing!
they didn't want to know about the USA economy

kayakfishers.jpg - 41kB

David K - 10-3-2008 at 06:06 PM

Wonderful story!

Thanks Shari!

Oh, by the way... go to http://www.wikimapia.org and zoom in on your house... :biggrin:

Osprey - 10-3-2008 at 06:14 PM

Shari, thanks for the story. We need more and more like it to keep the fishery from going bye bye. Bravo to the young, smart, responsible guys who do that kinda thing. Wish I had been like that when I was taking any and all I could get in my cooler.

vgabndo - 10-3-2008 at 06:44 PM

Osprey...I like your attitude. In March of '07 I bartered with one of the local guys for 20 kilos of Jurel. (My 16 footer couldn't get to where they were biting.) We carefully butchered them, lightly marinated and gently smoked the pieces and pressure canned three dozen little half pints.

Last night I opened the last one; made chip dip with part of it, and added smokey flavor to the Red Snapper Veracruzana with the rest.

That's what I call stretching the resources! I really hated to see that last bottle go.:no:

mulegemichael - 10-3-2008 at 10:23 PM

Shari, we are counting the days,(21), when we too, will be down there with Juan slayin' em...we will cross the border tomorrow and hope to be in Mulege by Monday...see you in three weeks!