BajaNomad

Trip photos ~ West of Mulege

Russ - 10-25-2008 at 03:24 AM

Friday 10/24 Took My Ranger out for a ride behind Mulege.

jorgie - 10-25-2008 at 06:26 AM

great pics Russ, thanks

BajaWarrior - 10-25-2008 at 08:29 AM

That's beautiful country Russ, I had no idea...

Ken Bondy - 10-25-2008 at 08:34 AM

Magnificent Russ!!! Bravo, bravo bravo. Beautiful photos, great country.

Natalie Ann - 10-25-2008 at 09:10 AM

You've brought badk great memories of my trip through that same area, Russ. I've been there only in spring, so it is especially interesting to see the look of it in October... every bit as lovely.

Thanks for taking your Ranger out that way and sharing the trip with us.

Nena

David K - 10-25-2008 at 10:06 AM

Russ, those are BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you so much! I would love to go west from Mulege to the Guadalupe mission and San Miguel vista sites... and more!

Cypress - 10-25-2008 at 02:27 PM

Russ, Thanks for the pictures. That's some wild and beautiful country.:yes:

DianaT - 10-25-2008 at 02:39 PM

Looks like a really fun day---thanks for sharing it.

Diane

tjBill - 10-25-2008 at 02:42 PM

Nice to see what the area looks like West of the beach. :)

toneart - 10-25-2008 at 02:51 PM

Russ,

Beautiful photos! I know that road well. I also know the turnoff to that river with the wild burros. While up there I was trying to keep my dog on the road so as to not pick up Cholla spurs in his feet. It went really well, until he saw the burros and the chase was on.
Miraculously, he didn't get any needles in his feet.

That property was an old Chinese camp during the turn of the 20th century and before. It is said to have been an opium poppy growing farm.:wow:

Russ - 10-25-2008 at 03:36 PM

Thank you for all the kind words. It was really a blast! Even did canon balls off the rocks into the pool. Some how the splashes were alot biger than when I was a kid. Go figure? The water was really refreshing, around 75º or so. There is a pretty good flow down the canyon now. The coots had a nest in a cave well above the water line of the third pond we swam in and could just see the white beak of the mother and baby. Here are a couple of interesting trees we hadn't seen before. The jack tree and hay tree.

And a close up:

These guys are doing something right because there were four 4x4 trucks in good shape parked here and an old 2 ton flat bed. This was at the end of a gated road. they are parked under the hay tree. And a close up:

duke62 - 10-25-2008 at 10:40 PM

Awesome pictures. You beat me to my question, Russ. It was going to be, "Are those Coots in that pool?" I'm just glad, as a "newbie," I read your last post before I responded.

Amazing the amount of water that is still there this time of year. Oh...That's right...You have a river.

rogbag - 10-26-2008 at 06:00 PM

Very cool pictures, Russ. Looks like an excellent ride. Really pretty country.

The jack tree is most interesting - how do you tell when they are ripe? Looks like the one on the right needs another decade or so to get the patina right.

CaboRon - 10-31-2008 at 09:38 AM

Wonderful photos , and that is the perfect vehicle for adventuring :wow:

CaboRon

elgatoloco - 10-31-2008 at 10:37 AM

Looks like a great trip. I can't for the life of me find those trees in my field guide? :)