BajaNomad

Baja Cactus Motel, El Rosario

David K - 11-8-2008 at 08:36 AM

King size beds, satellite TV, pressure boosted hot showers, no charge bottled water in room, coffee maker, telephone connected to the world, Internet, 24 hour front desk, security cameras watching parking area, friendly staff, inexpensive... http://www.bajacactus.com (phone numbers to reserve) or motel@bajacactus.com

More comfort than most other hotels or motels that charge 2, 3, 4 times the price charged here!

Lauriboats - 11-8-2008 at 08:43 AM

Nice report. I agree, great hotel at a great price. I love the large showers and the rooms are really clean. They have always allowed my dog to stay in the room with me.

Marie-Rose - 11-8-2008 at 09:01 AM

We stayed in 202 a couple of weeks ago and it was fabulous!!!:yes: Quiet and the staff are so very friendly. Pets welcome!!

Russ - 11-8-2008 at 04:12 PM

Here's an example of the staff friendliness. When I got up around 5am I asked the lady at the desk if they had any coffee. She said she'd make me some. No charge. I stuck $50 pesos under the phone. Hope she got it. Sure beats going next door. If they're even open.

David K - 11-8-2008 at 04:24 PM

The rooms (now) all have coffee makers... maybe just the newer rooms, not the older 'commercial' rooms... which are still okay if the nice rooms are all occupied... they are similar to what Mama Espinoza's Las Cabaņas Motel and the Sinahi Motel offer.

We last stayed there Sept. 1-2 and Antonio had the staff bring us a birthday cake... It was Baja Angel's birthday the 2nd. See our trip report for photos of the Baja Cactus staff and the cake!

Here that one is:

[Edited on 11-8-2008 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 12-18-2008 at 04:51 PM

Rooms are beautiful. Especially for the price. But I see some drawbacks. First, are they still "confiscating" drivers' licenses? Second, some of the rooms are way too noisy mostly because of the truck traffic on the hill and the curve-frene con motor! A few years ago, while staying there, I awoke in the wee small to a commotion and noticed a bunch of Federal Police going up and down the stairs with several ladies who appeared to be working professionals. The parade continued in and out for hours. Finally, I really believe there is a trade-off in staying in El Rosario because the dining choices are poor.

Barry A. - 12-18-2008 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Rooms are beautiful. Especially for the price. But I see some drawbacks. First, are they still "confiscating" drivers' licenses? Second, some of the rooms are way too noisy mostly because of the truck traffic on the hill and the curve-frene con motor! A few years ago, while staying there, I awoke in the wee small to a commotion and noticed a bunch of Federal Police going up and down the stairs with several ladies who appeared to be working professionals. The parade continued in and out for hours. Finally, I really believe there is a trade-off in staying in El Rosario because the dining choices are poor.

Hey---------that is part of the charm and excitement of Mexico--------just grin and enjoy it. :yes:

Barry

Bajaboy - 12-18-2008 at 05:10 PM

My only gripe about staying at Baja Cactus, and it's not really the fault of the staff, are many of the guests. All too often, people arrive late or leave early and forget people are sleeping as they talk loudly or finish beers outside into the wee hours. Just my first-hand observations...

zac

fishbuck - 12-18-2008 at 06:29 PM

It's a nice place but noisey for all the reasons stated. I stayed there once but now always stay in San Quintin somewhere.

fishbuck - 12-18-2008 at 06:32 PM

"...several ladies who appeared to be working professionals."

Anybody got the telephone number or address for these ladies? If so, I might need to try the place again!;D

David K - 12-18-2008 at 06:42 PM

Quote:

A few years ago??? Yes, before Antonio took over and changed the name to Baja Cactus (From Motel El Rosario), it was a cheap stay... and the previous management allowed 'hourly' use of the rooms... THAT IS NO MAS.

Since the speed strips were added in town, the use of jake brakes is no longer in front of the motel, as before... they slow down much further up the hill now.

Good eating at many places in Rosario... Baja's Best, La Bocana Beach, Tacos Mision, and more...

Use your Baja Nomad card as an ID and Antonio then knows you, and doesn't keep the security deposit (your D.L.) while you are there.

Naturally, I would prefer Antonio respond with his take on this... until then, I hope my info. is still good.

[Edited on 12-19-2008 by David K]

Barry A. - 12-18-2008 at 06:53 PM

David K says, "Use your Baja Nomad card as an ID and Antonio then knows you, and doesn't keep the security deposit (your D.L.) while you are there. "

What "Baja Nomads" card??? I don have no stinkin Baja Nomads card---------and I want one---soon. :o

Barry

David K - 12-18-2008 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
David K says, "Use your Baja Nomad card as an ID and Antonio then knows you, and doesn't keep the security deposit (your D.L.) while you are there. "

What "Baja Nomads" card??? I don have no stinkin Baja Nomads card---------and I want one---soon. :o

Barry

Right here: http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

David K - 12-18-2008 at 07:00 PM

Here is the thread on the cards... at the bottom: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31839#pid3267...

go up a few posts to read Antonio's words on the card (or 'badge' as he says).

Barry A. - 12-18-2008 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Right here: http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

Ahhhhh, ok, I clicked on that site and got a sample of a card, nothing more, and no place for my name, etc. When I printed it out it was only the "sample" card.

What do I do now?

Barry

bigjohn - 12-18-2008 at 09:05 PM

Cut and paste the card on the link and copy it to a blank Word document. Edit out the "Sample" lettering and enter your name as well as make up a Member # to input.

Print it on some card stock and you are set to go!

Barry A. - 12-18-2008 at 11:37 PM

Many thanks, Big John----------I will give it a go.

barry

dao45 - 12-19-2008 at 01:42 AM

The only problem I had with Baja cactus was nothing.The staff especially was first rate .............AND THATS ALL i GOTTA SAY ABOUT THAT

Crusoe - 12-19-2008 at 03:48 AM

Have stayed there on many occasions going North when I was just to tired to continue on driving any longer. Each time the rooms were very clean and the staff always helpful to each of our needs. The beds are great and the showers top notch. Hard to find a place anywhere in Baja that is this good consistantly time after time.Very nice folks. ++C++:spingrin::spingrin:

fdt - 12-19-2008 at 08:30 AM

Quote:

Ahhhhh, ok, I clicked on that site and got a sample of a card, nothing more, and no place for my name, etc. When I printed it out it was only the "sample" card.

What do I do now?

Barry

When you click on the link a "Script Prompt" appears first and you type your name there and press OK.
Your card will now have your name on it
http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

Barry A. - 12-19-2008 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

What do I do now?

Barry

When you click on the link a "Script Prompt" appears first and you type your name there and press OK.
Your card will now have your name on it

Thanks, Ferna, but I don't get the "scripted prompt" (??)

But, that is ok because I figured out a clumsy way to accomplish the same thing, so I now have a "card".

Thank you for the help.

Barry

David K - 12-19-2008 at 10:07 AM

Reminds me of Steve Martin in 'The Jerk' upon seeing his name in the new phone book, yells to the world: "I'm somebody now!!!":lol::lol::lol:

Barry A. - 12-19-2008 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of Steve Martin in 'The Jerk' upon seeing his name in the new phone book, yells to the world: "I'm somebody now!!!":lol::lol::lol:

Yep, I am a NooooooMaddddddddd!!!!! and I can now PROVE IT!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Barry

BajaNomad - 12-19-2008 at 11:31 AM

Barry,

If you don't see the prompting for your name, you likely have javascript turned off in your browser. Can you confirm this to be the case?

Thanks,
--
Doug

Bajahowodd - 12-19-2008 at 11:34 AM

Actually, David K, My "entertaining experience" with the Cops & Ladies occurred AFTER the new units were built and the name was changed.
I have to agree with Fishbuck, that unless time and distance are very important, staying in San Quintin, where a couple new places are, is preferable. Maybe it's just me, but I just find El Rosario a little bit depressing.

David K - 12-19-2008 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Actually, David K, My "entertaining experience" with the Cops & Ladies occurred AFTER the new units were built and the name was changed.
I have to agree with Fishbuck, that unless time and distance are very important, staying in San Quintin, where a couple new places are, is preferable. Maybe it's just me, but I just find El Rosario a little bit depressing.

Well, all I can say is that Antonio has strict orders to not allow this use of his motel... However, if the room is rented for the entire night, how does the clerk prevent what company the customer keeps in his room?

For those of us who have stayed in many motels in both countries, Baja Cactus is a shining example of how things should be done and we look forward to any opportunety to stay there.

Bajahowodd - 12-19-2008 at 11:57 AM

I've heard for some time that Antonio has plans for a restaurant on the property. Considering all the clamor about the place filling up turning away folks who arrive late or without reservations, it would seem to me that if he (Antonio) added rooms, he'd easily be able to support a restaurant. And judging by the quality of the rooms, the restaurant would likely be wonderful.

David K - 12-19-2008 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
I've heard for some time that Antonio has plans for a restaurant on the property. Considering all the clamor about the place filling up turning away folks who arrive late or without reservations, it would seem to me that if he (Antonio) added rooms, he'd easily be able to support a restaurant. And judging by the quality of the rooms, the restaurant would likely be wonderful.

Actually, construction has begun... but not a restaurant, it's a mini market with a fast food (tacos, burritos, etc.) service inside.

Mama Espinoza's is next door for a sit down restuarant and Antonio didn't want any bad feelings with them... The big lot between the motel and Mama's property is where the new rooms will be added, if the economy ever allows it. Since the economy soured and terrorism near the border reported, business is way down for Baja tourism.

B_A_J_A_L_O_U - 12-19-2008 at 12:13 PM

Very nice job, Will have to stay for a night next time were down there

JaraHurd - 1-4-2009 at 05:19 PM

I am jumping into this thread a little too late but I had to chime in. my wife and I stayed at this hotel on our way home from a somewhat eventful 14 days drive to La Paz. I was shocked at what I found. The hotel was awesome and very inexpensive. i had read about it many times on this site but did not really believe much of what had been posted. Sounded too good to be true.

The only drawback to staying here, and it is not the hotel's fault, is there were a few rude folks from north of the border staying in the hotel. What would the world do without drunks?

At any rate, hats off to the owner and staff. I absolutely will stay here again!!!!!

As far as food, what is wrong with Mama Espinosa's restaurant? We ate there. Nice people, good food. Jon

David K - 1-5-2009 at 12:50 AM

We arrived a bit after 7 pm last Friday night and found it totally full! That's what I get for recommending the place so heavily... HA!!!

The staff recommended I go to the brand new Turista Motel at the opposite end of town... and it was GREAT, really great! Nice to have a good back up to Baja Cactus when it is full! I will tell you all about the 2ND best motel in El Rosario in my trip report... now being posted this week.

Debra - 1-5-2009 at 02:11 PM

I stayed there on 9Jun., THE PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL! Wonderful staff! Great price.

My dog was a bad boy, I guess as soon as I left to go to dinner he started barking and wouldn't shut up (separation issues I guess) the staff tracked me down and Mama's and let me know what was going on, very nice of them, and I'm glad they found me.

I was not asked to leave my DL and I don't have a Nomad card either.

Bajahowodd - 1-5-2009 at 02:52 PM

There's progress.

Thanks David K, stayed there last night

hotairdon - 3-25-2009 at 08:20 PM

Baja Cactus, room 104. 350 pesos, quiet, large TV/bed, all as described, although no internet. No big deal, available at restaurant next door. Highly recommend.

David K - 3-26-2009 at 09:00 AM

Yah, it's nice to know we have a great place to stay on our trips... Now, two in town with the Motel Turista on the other end... and both rediculously cheap!

Leo - 3-27-2009 at 04:26 PM

Maybe OK if you can get an upstairs room.
We made the mistake to stay mainfloor. Rowdy people arriving after 11pm. The noise of footsteps and chairs scraping on the floor/ our ceiling was hellish.
Then at 3 am another bunch of noisy people loading their vehicles while running the noisy engines, just very unrespectful to other people some travelers. Not the Motel's fault, but it is a poorly build construction in terms of sound-proofing.

David K - 3-27-2009 at 04:32 PM

Oh, always ask for an upstairs room unless you are the ones who will be leaving early! Our favorite is 202, it was one of the first 4 big rooms, they surrounds the office. 201 is closer to the highway, and before the speed bumps were installed the truckers would zoom down the grade and hit the jake brakes close to the motel... no more thank God! But the inside rooms are shielded from the old highway noise.

Upstairs noise is not limited to Baja Cactus... any motel in Mexico with an upstairs will be noisey if you are below heavy people!

Leo - 3-27-2009 at 04:54 PM

You're absolutly right Dave.
We were impressed with facilities inside the room. Never seen a thing like it along the highway in Baja.

David K - 3-27-2009 at 05:20 PM

Glad the noisy people didn't ruin your vacation!

DianaT - 3-27-2009 at 06:32 PM

We made the mistake of getting the room right next to the office one time---never again as the staff chattered and laughed all night long and the noise carries.

We prefer the downstairs tucked back in the corner when we stay there.

Diane

BajaNomad - 3-28-2009 at 11:22 AM

Interesting observation that everyone has their own (different) favorites at the Baja Cactus. :lol:

We do to... but I'm not tellin'. ;)

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2011 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

Anybody got the telephone number or address for these ladies? If so, I might need to try the place again!;D

This made me laugh! :lol:

David K - 4-8-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

The date of that post by fishbuck was:
posted on 12-18-2008 at 06:32 PM

You waited a long time to laugh, Ken! :lol:

Here are the room photos from last Sept., 2010... they remain just as nice as when I first stayed at Baja Cactus in November, 2004!:

reneske - 4-8-2011 at 08:23 AM

Always stay at the Baja Cactus or Jardines. Jardines in San Quintin has the advantage of a great place to eat next door. Something to look forward to after a long day of driving. Both are great places to stay.:biggrin:

MikeYounghusband - 4-8-2011 at 09:13 AM

I stayed at Baja Best for awhils and its great. They have a restaraunt and "bar". Ed is a really good cook too.

PCbaja - 4-8-2011 at 09:41 AM

Nice play to stay....except really noisy.

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2011 at 06:32 PM

Does anyone have the area (619) telephone # for Baja Cactus?

I heard that Baja Cactus also has a Facebook page? Has anyone seen it?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

reneske - 4-8-2011 at 08:28 PM

They have a web page under construction. It is bajacactus.com Their phone numbers are on their web page. Hope that work for you.

(616) 165-8850

BajaNomad - 4-8-2011 at 08:54 PM

Quote:

619 tel#: see u2u

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1542761114

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

619 tel#: see u2u

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1542761114

Right on!

Thanks,

-Ken

Baja Cactus

bigmike - 4-19-2011 at 01:28 AM

We stayed here on April 17th, 3 couples, we had rooms at the back.
We had no problem with noise. I want to say this was one of the nicest places we have stayed in Baja, the rooms were very clean,
very nicely done, with lots of amenities. They gave us a 10% discount for Triple A, tried using my Baja Nomad discount but the girl wanted my Nomad card and I didn't know Nomad issued a card.
Highly recommend Baja Cactus if your staying the night in El Rosario.

BajaNomad - 4-19-2011 at 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
...tried using my Baja Nomad discount but the girl wanted my Nomad card and I didn't know Nomad issued a card.
As noted earlier in this thread, it's here:

woody with a view - 4-19-2011 at 05:25 AM

i hope you guys leave the "discount" for the cleaning girl.

Barbarosa - 4-19-2011 at 05:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The date of that post by fishbuck was:
posted on 12-18-2008 at 06:32 PM

You waited a long time to laugh, Ken!

It's one of those subtle jokes; takes awhile to sink in.

David K - 4-19-2011 at 07:19 AM

I exchanged emails with Antonio (BajaCactus) the other day... about Mary Ann dropping off a case of Mike Humfreville's books for the guests of the motel... Antonio said that the remodeling of the Pemex station restrooms was finally approved by Pemex and underway as well as ground breaking on the mini-market/ taco stand complex between the station and the motel.

Each room at Baja Cactus has a copy of Mike's book for guests to enjoy... while supplies last.

Bajaboy - 4-19-2011 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
I exchanged emails with Antonio (BajaCactus) the other day... about Mary Ann dropping off a case of Mike Humfreville's books for the guests of the motel... Antonio said that the remodeling of the Pemex station restrooms was finally approved by Pemex and underway as well as ground breaking on the mini-market/ taco stand complex between the station and the motel.

Each room at Baja Cactus has a copy of Mike's book for guests to enjoy... while supplies last.

That's great news about the taco stand!