BajaNomad

how big of krocodiles, other lures/flies for surf casting

DrTom - 11-17-2008 at 07:37 PM

hi, just venturing into surfcasting, wondering what lures i should order to have down there. also what flies recommended? thanks in advance

55steve - 11-17-2008 at 08:18 PM

Kinda depends where you're fishing but I ALWAYS pack a bunch of blue/chrome Kastmasters in the medium & larger sizes - 2 to 3" ones - pretty much everything eats them from the beach and they cast a very long way.

Kastmaster

[Edited on 11-18-2008 by 55steve]

BigWooo - 11-17-2008 at 08:35 PM

For surf casting I like the 1oz Krocs. For some reason it seems the blue/silver work best for me in Baja Sur.

Russ - 11-17-2008 at 08:43 PM

No idea about flies. I like to use spinning gear. Two 7' rods and one reel holds about 200yards of 6 or 8 pound test and the other the same amount of 12 to 17 pound line. This means I can throw lures from 1/4oz to 3oz. I like krocks, castmasters & hopkins lures. And then I always find some pretty ones that don't catch much they're good to make up a good story/fishtail. Steve's right about color and length. Have FUN!

Santiago - 11-17-2008 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Stop at Squidco Fishing. 3518 Barnett Ave, San Diego
(619) 222-8955. It's just off I-5, on Barnett and Midway.

Call them on hours - one time I was going through Sandy Eggo about 6:15pm and they were closed. Zac came to the rescue that trip but if I had known I would have left a little earlier.

baitcast - 11-18-2008 at 06:23 AM

When fishin the beach under most conditions think distance! if I had only one lure it would be a Kastmaster,east or west side its da one,like the man said every thing eats them.

Size? it depends on the rig your using.
Rob
Blue/chrome or green/chrome

[Edited on 11-18-2008 by baitcast]

mulegemichael - 11-18-2008 at 07:10 AM

one to two oz chrome stingers, hands down!...cast em as far as you can and retrieve fast...they used to be called dungeness stingers but then luhr jensen bought him out and now they're called "deep stingers". ...no matter, they catch everything!....beachgirl in the past couple of weeks has caught probably a dozen species right off the rocks here in mulege bay.........as far as flies go, i've done well with chartruese and olive and white clouser minnows...use a sink tip line, flourocarbon leader and bring a stripping basket, otherwise you'll have a real cluster....strip fast, faster than you think you should...it works..good luck

Russ - 11-18-2008 at 07:36 AM

mulegemichael FYI article on your Stinger .. made in Ensanada
http://www.mexfish.com/enad/enad/af030623/af030623.htm

mulegemichael - 11-18-2008 at 07:47 AM

Russ...interesting stuff...i'm fortunate that i know the guy who invented and designed the lure... then, when he sold to luhr jensen, he retained the right to continue to manufacture them at his shop in my hometown....so...when i need stingers i go to his place and he fills my tacklebox for next to nothing...i'm bringing a bunch more down in a couple of weeks...the big ones work really well for jurel, as well....nice thing is, he powdercoats each and everyone of them also..i think l.jensen just paints theirs..

Russ - 11-18-2008 at 08:51 AM

mulegemichael, Didn't Diawa or someone do a whole system, rod, reel & video on a similar lure? I've heard they catch every thing. But... they're way too heavy for my surf fishing here. Maybe if I go for the white seabass this year on the Pacific side with the big guns from shore the stinger would be perfect. Oh, I use to love Sequim... Before the Home Depot.

mulegemichael - 11-18-2008 at 09:24 AM

russ...we use the one oz ones from the playa with just a 8 1/2 ' spinning outfit spooled with 15# mono...can cast em a mile...caught everything from yellowfin,(from the beach!), roosters, jacks, sierra, yada, yada, yada...won't use anything else..stop by some time; we're in the oasis, #54..

wsdunc - 11-18-2008 at 10:23 AM

Everything said so far sounds right, you could also try 3/4 oz Kastmasters on 6 lb test. You will get beat up regularly, but its a hoot.

Skipjack Joe - 11-18-2008 at 10:59 AM

If you decide to fish the open sandy beaches on the pacific side north of say, laguna san ignacio, there are better options than chrome jigs. That area doesn't have jack crevalle, yft, sierra, skipjacks, or roosterfish cruising the shoreline. It's more like what the socal people do from shore. The following website has a wealth of information on tackle and techniques. I would read it carefully. Search the forums for suggestions for appropriate flies. Corbina on a fly is a real challenge in my opinion.

http://www.scsurffishing.com/

... if that's where you're going.

P.S. don't forget the pacific lagoons with those kastmasters. Work the outlet channels on a receding tide where the big boys are waiting for the bait to be swept out (they have nowhere else to go).

mulegemichael - 11-18-2008 at 04:21 PM

skipjack; your corbinas over there are larger than the ones over here on the SOC side....what flies do you use?...i LOVE clousers!...what else works?

Skipjack Joe - 11-18-2008 at 08:09 PM

Small clousers work great in the pacific surf as well. I tie bonefish fly patterns with lead eyes and they catch fish. I'm not a fly purists, though. Small plastic grubs can be cast with the fly rod and they catch fish real well. Mostly, I just like the feel of the long rod.

This isn't my fish, but I've caught them like this.

p_wclouser.jpg - 47kB

the long rod in the surf

Skipjack Joe - 11-18-2008 at 10:13 PM

IMGP1231compressed.jpg - 49kB

Barbareno - 11-20-2008 at 05:52 AM

Hope I don't sound too much like an idiot with you pro's but I will risk it.

I was thinking that I would try using my fly rod on the beach of Bahia Asuncion but I really am not that good at it and I wouldn't be able to get the fly out far enough.

I talked to a chap yesterday who is from Vancouver and he said he would like to see me try using a casting rod, 12lb test (at least) leader, and a torpedo float. Figures a 2-3 inch torpedo float half filled with water for weight. He said for a fly try a saltwater Streamer. Does any of this make sense? He said with that torpedo float on there I could really zing it out a long ways.

ShipJack I want to check out that site you posted, looks like I will have to register. No problem.

Thanks in advance.........Barb

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2008 at 10:43 AM

Your friend is right. The spinning rod approach is easier and more effective than the fly rod. However, I don't agree with the torpedo float idea at asuncion. Most of the shoreline fish are on the bottom and that's where you want your lure to be. It's not like fishing for ladies on the cortez. The fish you'll get are calico bass, sheepshead, halibut, corbina, and yellowfin croaker and these are all bottom feeders.

The best way to fish for most of these fish in the area in my opinion is with leadheads with large plastics or swimbaits. I like rootbeer for calicos and clear/offwhite for halibut. The locals like white for halibut. Juan prefers chrome spoons for halibut (kastmasters or krocodiles).

The best fishing is probably that rocky stretch that starts at san roques. There are numerous shoreline opportunities for calico bass there. You'll want to walk out to the end of those finger reefs during low tide and cast your leadhead out to the edge of the kelp beds (over 100 feet). Let the jig sink on a tight line cause the bass will usually take it on the way down. Then jig the lure back in with lift and sink motions but keep the line tight on the sink. You will need thin line to get maximum distance but abrassion resistant as the fish will dive under your feet as you get them close to shore. Bring lots of plastics as they are easily lost. There's a store in asuncion that sells the leadheads but is usually low on plastics. They should be bought stateside.

Go out in the morning as the wind comes up in the afternoon and the surf will make it more difficult to stay out and the casting becomes harder.

This is just one way. You can also break off mussels and fish bait which will result in a wider variety of fish and is probably better for sheephead.

YMG_136.jpg - 43kB

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2008 at 11:05 AM

Another good option is pursuing halibut. These like sandy beaches that are protected from the surf. A good one is the launching beach at san roques after all the launching has ended and everyone has gone home. It's protected from the big surf by the point. The point of land that asuncion sits also provides good spots for halibut on the south side. Locals catch halibut just to the right of the pier with kastmasters. A bit further on the commercials launch their pangas and that too is a good area for halibut. I like the clear/white swimbaits but the locals outfished me with small kastmasters jigged erratically through the shallows. Shari and Juan are very willing to steer you in the right direction and Juan knows his stuff.

Perhaps they will tell you how to get to their 'secret beach' a few miles north of san roques. It has yellowfin croaker and corbina and probably halibut. That environment requires a bit different approach. The link I provided describes it well. Use small grubs here (2"-3") and a light line (8lb test) with a lighter rod for greater pleasure. Cast into the surf and retrieve slowly feeling for bumps. Fish an incoming tide for best results. Peak fishing is usually 1-2 hours after the low tide as fish start to move in on the beds of sandcrabs. Again, you can use live sand crabs or mussels as well.

Good luck.

Oh, and no, I don't think there are stupid questions. To me fishing is about uncovering secrets. Once you know everything it loses much of it's appeal.

This swimbait is good for halibut. I don't have a picture of the grubs for open sandy beaches.

cradleweightrgd500.jpg - 30kB

Barbareno - 11-21-2008 at 07:07 AM

Thanks ShipJack...I have printed off this thread and will carry it down with me.

Tim did well catching Halibat on the beach in BA just where you said. He used some cut up Bonita and squid. And then on those rocks just north of San Roque.

We have lots of those squikklies in your first picture. I have never seen that lure you posted in the last picture. Will keep an eye out for them.

As for asking Juan and Shari about their secret hidy hole? I don't think so. I kinda like the idea that they have a place to get away from it all. Might be the romantic in me.

Thanks again for such an informative reply.

Barb

Skipjack Joe - 12-6-2008 at 09:07 AM

I came across this very small image of angler's pursuing roosters from the beach that I wanted to share as it really captures the thrill of the sport. That's the sort of beach fishing you don't get on the pacific side.

P2_ff_fea_baja05.jpg - 8kB

bajaandy - 12-6-2008 at 09:28 AM

Wow...nice shot Skippy!

Flyfishing and spincasting from shorelines

Pompano - 12-6-2008 at 09:57 AM

Well...unfortunately we have no 'surf' fishing in our Mulege area, but the shorefishing was fantastic in Conception Bay some years back. It can still produce great days if you hunt the outside peninsula shores from Playa Domingo at the bay's mouth, then around the point to the old mine and south some miles towards Ptas Rosa and Teresa.

Here is a nice rooster caught from the old sea wall in front of our casas in Coyote Bay. We would keep spincast rigs at the ready in pvc holders on the wall...and race to them when we saw the pez gallo backfins raised while they were bunching up the lisas (baitfish) in the shallows. What a treat that was..sighting your target and pitching a 1-3 oz. kastmaster or crocodile just in front of the quarry. A sudden lunge, a spray of water, and the fight was on!

We did the same thing with robalo (snook) last year in Mag Bay under the overhanging mangeles along the back bays...great fun.

Skipjack Joe - 12-6-2008 at 11:50 AM

Years ago I befriended a group of japanese-americans who told me about the rooster fishing from the beach at Pt Chivato. That was 1976, I believe. They were relatively new to baja and were exploring the area by trolling from mulege to pt chivato when they came across some working fish at the beach in front of the hotel.

Beaching their gregor they started casting from shore. The pictures they brought back were eye popping: Roosters in the 20-40 lb range from the beach. The shore fishing was so good it became their primary mode of fishing. Every day, they said, in the afternoon the roosters would start working the baitfish as though on some schedule. They'd get up from their siesta and the action would start.

Having worked for that hotel during those years I suppose you are familiar with that.

Pompano - 12-6-2008 at 12:15 PM

You betcha, Igor. I have a bunch of old photos showing all of us engaged in casting for roosters just below the hotel patio bar...a favorite spot of those fighters to school up thier prey fish. The rooster fishing there was legendary.

You could also walk around the point..where the lighthouse is now..and throw a lure to red snapper below you. A little further north was white sea bass caught from shore..and so on. Ah, the memories...

One of my favorites... I have a copy of an old photo showing when a bunch of local kids chucked a baited fish on a stout line to a feeding marlin that was trashing fish just off the rocks near the hotel...they, with the help of thier dads, got the monster to shore. The photo shows them all in line holding the huge fish.....smiling from ear to ear.....priceless day.