BajaNomad

4TH ANNUAL PREZ DAY WEEKEND NOMAD RIDE

Pages:  1    3

BAJACAT - 11-22-2008 at 12:56 PM

Hi, Nomads 09 it's just around the corner, and i want to get ideas from Nomads about next years Motomi Nomad trip.
1-Should we do Matomi trail again, or maybe included another canyons?.

2-What about having shirts, made for the event(like the ones Ken made for his " BAJA GRANDE 08 " )?.

For the new members off BAJA NOMAD, click the link below,and see for your self all the fun we had...

Let me know via this thread or u2u or e-mail.

THANKS BAJACAT ))JOSE))

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=29991&pag...

[Edited on 11-27-2008 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by BAJACAT]

BajaWarrior - 11-22-2008 at 05:10 PM

I'm in again, and probably the same crew from my area, but yes, I'd like to hit a different location inside of a long day's drive. We can host again this year. Plenty of room available...

We tried for Aqua Caliente but the road was closed last year, I believe if we turn north from there we can hit some waterfalls along West Valley Road?

Maybe Gonzaga for a day run? Nice views the whole way...

Any other suggestions? BajaLou?

bajalou - 11-22-2008 at 05:36 PM

Berrendo is always nice - hillsides covered with blue palms. Walk up the stream amid the palms - nice.

If the gate's open, Rancho Parral is great - near Berrendo - a bit of a walk to the old ranch but worth it most think. Have to check the gate first. The drive thru Parral is great - a different type of canyon than most in the Sierra San Pedro Matir.

Small waterfall a short way up Canon Cajon. Nice spot.

Lots of choices - lots of fun.

Click on the Valle Chico Area link at the bottom of my signature - then pan down to this area and see what I've listed about some of this area.

[Edited on 11-23-2008 by bajalou]

My dos pesos

BajaRob - 11-22-2008 at 07:21 PM

Over the past several years we normally spend 2 or 3 nights at the ranch when we visit. Last years day ride was OK but camping there is better! Just a thought.

[Edited on 11-23-2008 by BajaRob]

BAJACAT - 11-23-2008 at 01:19 PM

I agree with BajaRob, last years trail ride was nice, but to come back the same day was kind of rushing it, I have no problem to camp up there, and Bajalou, comment on dif, canyons, thats a must,Berrendo looks promissing.
Im up to anything, and Thanks Chuck (BAJAWARRIOR), for the invitation, he is ende a great host.

David K - 11-23-2008 at 03:53 PM

José: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35474

BAJACAT - 11-23-2008 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
David I have seen your trip reports before,remember Im one of your best fans. Your reports inspire some of my various trips that I have made in the past,thats why Im interested in Berrendo or Parral canyons,what trip approach will you sugest.?

David K - 11-23-2008 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
David I have seen your trip reports before,remember Im one of your best fans. Your reports inspire some of my various trips that I have made in the past,thats why Im interested in Berrendo or Parral canyons,what trip approach will you sugest.?

Hi José, I already made a suggestion... and it is in that link I gave... below the repost on the Exotic Canyons... Here is JUST that part amigo:

Since Agua Caliente canyon was not 'locked' up per larry's recent post, I recommend going there... Nothing is as interesting as 140ºF water pouring out of the ground in such quantity that it creates its own hot water stream that is hot for hundreds of feet! Just a stones throw away, the cold moutain stream runs year-round down the canyon... Hot and cold running water!

The main spring:

The hot stream pouring down from the spring:

Looking down the hot stream:

Also, as Lou says, Berrendo Canyon is beautiful with thousands of BLUE palms and a giant boulder grotto...

Here is what I said about Berrendo in my Exotic Canyons report:

After our camps are set up, we headed out to explore Berrendo Canyon (Baja Almanac Map 14 (A-3). Unfortunately, the sky is cloudy for good photography. What we saw is hard to describe, it was so fantastic for a desert. It just reminds me (again) that Baja really is a magic place! The road from the fork into the canyon is deep arroyo sand, 4WD or buggy stuff. The road goes 3.0 miles to the trailhead, passing sheer cliffs with hundreds of blue palms growing from the sides up to dizzying heights! Trailhead, end of road GPS: 30-32.59’, 115-07.91’ (elev. 2,260’). The trail leads up the canyon past blue palms and finally water. At the end of the hike was a fantastic scene: A boulder the size of an office building on a house size boulder with a big pool, and an incredible grotto. I think I was just so amazed, I didn’t know how to remember this place. Words aren’t enough! GPS at the grotto: 30-32.11’, 115-08.11’ (elev. 2,388’). The hike was under a mile. I figured how the GPS’s trip odometer works after this hike. We all return to our camp at the Parral Corral for dinner and campfire time… so amazed by the wonders of Baja California. Little did we realize that it would get better, the next day!!!
==============================================
Carrizo needs considerable hiking to exlpore as a fence blocks vehicles far from anything we saw that looked appealing.

There are more, but for a 2 day group trip 1-2 canyons would be a smart limit... The most fun is the sitting around the campfire socializing and Baja story telling we do on these group trips!

Mexray makes Jiffypop:

GeoRock smokes one of Bob H's stogies:

So does Pat (Sra. Mexray):

See the 2004 Matomi Gang at http://vivabaja.com/204

The only thing about camping in the canyons and not on the beach is it will be COLD at night! It was pretty darn cold at Nuevo Mazatlan in 2004, in fact!

BAJACAT - 11-23-2008 at 08:18 PM

Sorry David I didn't see it, but you are right, in the amount of time we have 1 or 2 should be perfect.Maybe we can do E Berrendo and Agua Caliente.
And i hope for the 09 trip we can do shirts to remember the event..

David K - 11-24-2008 at 12:22 AM

Sounds Great José!!

GeoRock - 11-24-2008 at 12:52 AM

What dates are you thinking David?

David K - 11-24-2008 at 09:42 AM

Hi Suzanne... it is José planning the event... and (as before) President's Day Weekend in Ferbruary... However, any time I can go to Baja is a good time!

BAJACAT - 11-24-2008 at 09:59 PM

Hi Suzanne, President's day 2009 will be on MONDAY 16, so most likely it's going to be the weekend of 14(saturday)(sunday)15 Monday is optional maybe some nomads want to come back on that date, and I will be pleased to have you and David K on this trip...

Gadget - 11-25-2008 at 06:06 PM

We will try and join the fun again. Looks like Baja Leti will get to wheel her Jeep Chickoree on this one due to GSB being broken.

We will pick a comfortable position back in the pack and I will get to enjoy the beautiful scenery a bit more than usual.

We're in for a couple of shirts.

Chuck, major pot luck again?

David K - 11-25-2008 at 06:08 PM

No matter what road you take, it's ALL GREAT!

Not much of a waterfall in June, 2006...

However, in February it is more than enough for some fun!
Here was the waterfall in Feb. 2001 (photo by elgatoloco of the brave DK)!

[Edited on 11-26-2008 by David K]

Feb 14, 15, 16

John M - 11-25-2008 at 07:57 PM

Barbara and I will try to make this one!

We need a Baja fix!

John M

BAJACAT - 11-25-2008 at 09:50 PM

The more the welcome John.
Last year the event when on with out David K, he wasn't available to go so I had to ask for help, do to I had never been there in the firts place,but thanks to the help of Bajalou,Bajawarrior and our 08 trail boss Gadget, it was a success, so this year I will be looking for more help with the San Felipe Nomads to lead the way, if i do it I think we probably end up in Ensenada:biggrin::biggrin:,so maybe BajaRob or Bajalou or Bajawarrior or maybe the guy that created the firts Matomi trip David K will be willing to lead..

BAJACAT - 11-26-2008 at 08:04 AM

nOMADS I will talk to Ken when he gets back from his Baja grande event, to se if we can make some Matomi nomad trail ride 09 shirts, let me know if you guys are interested.. I know it's a little early but this progects take time...

David K - 11-26-2008 at 10:16 AM

For our 2004 President's Day/ Matomi Gang, Mexray made shirts and hats for the group... way cool!

http://vivabaja.com/204

Photo from GeoRock's automatic camera at Rancho Matomi.
From the left: Bob H & Audrey, MaryAnn & Mike Humfreville, Pat & MexRay,
Steve & Edie H, David K, GeoRock & Pete, Bill W & TW.
On the Hummer: Alicia, Sarah, Brittany. In front: Surfer Jim (+Shelby the wonder dog).
Tunaeater & Rudy left before photo taken

[Edited on 11-26-2008 by David K]

El Comadante Loco - 11-27-2008 at 11:07 PM

Sounds very interesting. I would like to participate. Any idea what the date would be???

BAJACAT - 11-27-2008 at 11:09 PM

Feb, 14-16 2009(PRESIDENTS DAY)..
You are welcome to join in..

El Comadante Loco - 11-27-2008 at 11:15 PM

Thanks, I will put it on my calendar...

BAJACAT - 1-1-2009 at 09:33 AM

Ok gang 09 is here, and the BaJaNoMaD trail ride is near.
The dates are Feb-14((Saturday))throught Feb-16((Monday Presidents day).Just a riminder, so mark it in your calendars.

Possible runs- El Berrendo canyon,El Parral or maybe Matomi again including Aguacaliente canyon if is open, alot country to explore.
Final destination can be set on saturday when met, depending on crowd numbers.

Metting place still in the works,maybe we can bribe Bajawarrior(mordida), to let us set up in his propety, will see.

High clearence vehicle it's a must 4wd optinal,I got plenny of straps:lol::lol:.

So mark your calendar FEB-14-16 PRESINDENTS DAY 2009
BAJANOMAD TRAIL RIDE

[Edited on 1-1-2009 by BAJACAT]

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 062.JPG - 47kB

surfer jim - 1-6-2009 at 04:45 PM

Any more details?......when /where to meet.......will trip start on saturday .....what time......ect....:?:

Cypress - 1-6-2009 at 04:57 PM

Trail Ride! With vehicles? It's not a trail ride unless you're on horseback!;D Must be one of those California things?:?:

David K - 1-6-2009 at 05:16 PM

Heard that Agua Caliente was open... I would really like to see some photos of what work they did to utilize the super high flow hot spring in there, to make it intio a campground with hot tubs ala Guadalupe Canyon.

I do not believe I will be able to join you guys, took the last Baja travel dime to go see the mystery at Las Animas... Unless some good jobs come along!

If you guys do go up Agua Caliente, please take mucho photos!

Gracias!!

BajaWarrior - 1-6-2009 at 05:44 PM

I would definately like to see Aqua Caliente as we could not get to it last year.

Gadget, definatley potluck again, that was fun and easy.

Here's the thing, it's cold out there in Feburary, we'd prefer a long day's trip especially if it's to Aqua Caliente, not as far and rough of a trail as Matomi. Plus, with the completion of our new home and in addition to our original home we have 4 extra available bedrooms plus two hide-a-beds in one house.

So maybe on Saturday a Shell Island cruise with a trip to the Sulphur Mine (both within 5 miles of my house) and then a potluck Saturday night with an early morning departure Sunday morning (I will provide coffee again, even to go if you want).

It's quicker to exit to the north through El Dorado and return via the highway back to my house even stopping in town for dinner, so maybe that could be factored in. That would leave time to check out a second canyon as BajaLou suggested, Berrendero?

Gadget, I'll reserve the same bedroom for you and BajaLeti, and BajaCat too. Plenty of room for RV's at my compound plus house privledges will be extended to all.

Let's talk this up some more, sounds like we have a few other Nomads interested.

BW

David K - 1-6-2009 at 05:54 PM

Very kind of you Chuck... true Baja Nomad hospitality! We missed seeing you New Year's Eve (if you were there)... After Lou's turkey, we opted to all sit around a fire in front of BajaRob's sipping fine tequila with some of the neighbors at Bahia Santa Maria.

It's fun to kid Gary about his Steelers and our Chargers too! Wow, he would never believe they are playing each other in a few days!

Have a great Matomi or Valle Chico trip... send me some irrigation referals so I can go too!:spingrin:;)

Gadget - 1-6-2009 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
I would definately like to see Aqua Caliente as we could not get to it last year.

Gadget, definatley potluck again, that was fun and easy.

Here's the thing, it's cold out there in Feburary, we'd prefer a long day's trip especially if it's to Aqua Caliente, not as far and rough of a trail as Matomi. Plus, with the completion of our new home and in addition to our original home we have 4 extra available bedrooms plus two hide-a-beds in one house.

So maybe on Saturday a Shell Island cruise with a trip to the Sulphur Mine (both within 5 miles of my house) and then a potluck Saturday night with an early morning departure Sunday morning (I will provide coffee again, even to go if you want).

It's quicker to exit to the north through El Dorado and return via the highway back to my house even stopping in town for dinner, so maybe that could be factored in. That would leave time to check out a second canyon as BajaLou suggested, Berrendero?

Gadget, I'll reserve the same bedroom for you and BajaLeti, and BajaCat too. Plenty of room for RV's at my compound plus house privledges will be extended to all.

Let's talk this up some more, sounds like we have a few other Nomads interested.

BW

You're on Chuck.
BajaLeti will be behind the wheel of the Grandchickoree and I will be demoted to co-dog.
Seems I need to spend some time watching the scenery and gain some terrain reading skills so I can keep my rig on its wheels. :(:(
Pretty sure I will have the holiday off (paid even) with the new job.
Potluck sounds great again! That was good times last year.
Will stay posted.
G

BajaWarrior - 1-6-2009 at 06:48 PM

Hey G,

yes keep all four down, your running low on vehicles!

BTW, unless you can get ahold of one, I have an extra VHF handheld Radio if you need otherwise I can pass it on to someone else, that goes for anyone else, we use Marine VHF down here, see if you can borrow one, otherwise the family walky talky's can be used, we have extra's of those too, so we'll be carrying that type as well as the built in VHF radio in our truck.

I did some minor improvements on my Toyota. Bilstein's, new exhaust less Cat, mirrors, and of course new Infinity speakers! So we're ready to rock AND roll.

David, yep, we were there and at the Kelly's party on the Bahia, a progressive party with soup at every stop. Could've been talked into some Tequila sipping that night... Too bad you didnt have the chance to stop on by but I know you were heading south on a Mission Mission so maybe next time.

BW

BajaWarrior - 1-6-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Any more details?......when /where to meet.......will trip start on saturday .....what time......ect....:?:

Hi Jim,

meeting place will be at my casa which is about 25 miles south of San Felipe and 3/4 mile north of Nuevo Mazatlan.

Your welcome to stay at our place, join the fun, we have plenty of room. Please read my post above dated today 1-6 for more details.

How about all of the Nomads that attended last year, this is your personal invite...

[Edited on 1-7-2009 by BajaWarrior]

BAJACAT - 1-6-2009 at 10:04 PM

Thanks Chuck I might take you on your offer, Your plan sounds good I have never been in Shell island.Agua caliente and berrendo sounds good too,Im ready I will buying my spare by the end of the month

BajaWarrior - 1-8-2009 at 05:22 PM

Bumping this up.

Hey gang, get in on this great trip, it's only 6 weeks away...

BAJACAT - 1-9-2009 at 07:26 PM

! iF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!

David K - 1-10-2009 at 12:02 AM

Quote:

David, yep, we were there and at the Kelly's party on the Bahia, a progressive party with soup at every stop. Could've been talked into some Tequila sipping that night... Too bad you didnt have the chance to stop on by but I know you were heading south on a Mission Mission so maybe next time.

BW

We were still full from BajaLou's turkey bash, nobody had much energy to go do the house to house... so some of the neighbors came to us... on quads. We had a very good breakfast at Chelo's the next morning, then off to L.A. Bay for us!

If you see Gary (the big time Steeler's fan, 2 houses past Rob), tell him I said "Keep your feet dry, the Chargers will be on your turf and you could get zapped!"

BAJACAT - 1-10-2009 at 07:35 PM

common David you have to attend this one,do a quick refund on your taxes to get some baja money..

Matomi 2008

BAJACAT - 1-11-2009 at 09:58 PM

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 074.JPG - 48kB

Matomi 2008

BAJACAT - 1-11-2009 at 09:59 PM

MATOMI TRIP PRESIDENTS DAY-2008 087.JPG - 47kB

David K - 1-12-2009 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
common David you have to attend this one,do a quick refund on your taxes to get some baja money..

Refund??? Oh, no, no, no my friend... I am self employed and its all about how little I will need to pay THEM! Next check goes out in 3 days!:o:no::(

BAJACAT - 1-12-2009 at 08:01 PM

Im still hoping you get a job soon, so you can have some money for this trip, let me tell my wife we need a new sprinkler system on my no grass yard,:lol:, maybe she wont notice that we never had a lawn before,jejejeje

BAJACAT - 1-12-2009 at 08:42 PM

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO ALL NOMADS FOR THIS YEARS 4TH ANNUAL BAJANOMAD MATOMI TRIP, EVERYBODY IS INVITED, YOU WILL HAVE ALOT FUN, YOU WILL GET TO MEET NOMADS, THAT YOU JUST KNOW BY SCREENNAMES, A NICE POTLOCK TO BREAK THE ICE WITH THE NEW FACES AND THEN A FUN OFF ROAD RIDE TO THE SCENIC CANYONS IN SAN FELIPE,SO KEEP CHECKING BACK TO THIS SITE FOR UPDATES.tHE DATES ARE FEB 14-16(PRESIDENTS DAY 2009).
FISH TACOS AND COLD MEXICAN BEERS ARE JUST A FEW WEEKS AWAY,AND WHAT BETTER WAY TO ENJOY THIS WITH A BUCH OF PEOPLE THAT LOVE BAJA JUST LIKE YOU DO...

B^J^C^T

[Edited on 1-13-2009 by BAJACAT]

Thanks Jose

BajaRob - 1-13-2009 at 09:36 AM

for the U2U invite. I do intend to participate and looking forward to it. Will probably take the old F-250 this time.

David K - 1-13-2009 at 04:13 PM

Great Avatar Rob... it says 'BajaRob'... loud and clear! :lol::yes:;D

BajaWarrior - 1-13-2009 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
for the U2U invite. I do intend to participate and looking forward to it. Will probably take the old F-250 this time.

BajaRob,

that is great to hear your coming along again. Can you ask some of our regulars if they want to come along?

How about BajaLou? Can he meet us in the desert with his gang again?

I'm wondering if we ought to drive out the Huatamote wash this time and then head to Agua Caliente and Berrendero then exit to the north/east by El Dorado and come out the Rockodile sign then on into town for some Tacos...

Suggestions?

Thanks David

BajaRob - 1-13-2009 at 06:16 PM

I think. That's the type of thing that happens when the wind blows big time on the beach for days. I promise that I will find something less busy soon.
Chuck, I like your ideas. After several trips to Matomi it will be great to check out some different canyons. I think that Lou intends to make the trip.

bajalou - 1-13-2009 at 06:53 PM

HI

I'm planning on making the potluck and the trail runs again this year. I'll be in New Mexico till about the 12th so it will be tight but think if I have no problems it'll all work OK.

I'll see who I can round up to make the trek with me. The Idea of up the Huatamote then to Agua Caliente and Berrendo is great. And back by way of the road instead of a canyon makes a nice end to the day - and bean soup and tacos at El General on the way through town is a great finish. From my starting point, I'll meet you as you come out of the Huatamote.

For those of you not familiar with this area, click on the link below - Valle Chico area - and pan around and see how all this lays out.

I'll keep in touch.

[Edited on 1-14-2009 by bajalou]

BajaWarrior - 1-13-2009 at 07:06 PM

Looks like we're clicking along just fine then. Great to have all of you along and yes to the Potluck again.

This is a fun run with for the most part stock vehicles so if any other Nomads and friends are interested you are certainly welcome.

Wives, kids and good dogs are welcome too of course.

Contact me if you need accomidations.

BAJACAT - 1-13-2009 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob

BajaRob,

that is great to hear your coming along again. Can you ask some of our regulars if they want to come along?

How about BajaLou? Can he meet us in the desert with his gang again?

I'm wondering if we ought to drive out the Huatamote wash this time and then head to Agua Caliente and Berrendero then exit to the north/east by El Dorado and come out the Rockodile sign then on into town for some Tacos...

Suggestions?
Ha that sounds great, I can wait to down some SF tacos,maybe this time I will get to se Valle de Gigantes..

XRPhlang - 1-14-2009 at 09:29 AM

Wife and dogs won't come. So can I go on my bike?? I'll carry my own beer.

Baja 6-4-07 012r.JPG - 45kB

bajacrawler - 1-14-2009 at 09:46 AM

What day is the actual ride?

Jack

PREZ DAY WEEKEND

David K - 1-14-2009 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacrawler

Jack

Because not everyone can get there Friday, we did a shorter excursion on Saturday and saved the big Matomi run for Sunday when everyone could join in, who wanted to.

Matomi #1 (2001): Arrive Fri night/ Saturday morning (at El Dorado) and do a ride out to the sulfur mine and Shell Island on Saturday http://vivabaja.com/shell

Sunday the big run up to Matomi Falls, dinner in San Felipe http://vivabaja.com/matomi
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matomi #2 (2004): Arrive at Campo Nuevo Mazatlan Friday night/ Saturday morning and do a ride out to Shell Island on Saturday.

Sunday the big run to Matomi via Azufre Wash (Cañada el Parral).

Monday morning a visit to the sulfur mine (just 5 miles from Nuevo Mazatlan) Good fun: http://vivabaja.com/204

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matomi #3 (2008) hosted by Baja Warrior & BajaCat, camp in Bahia Santa Maria complex, Casa de Baja Warrior: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=29991

[Edited on 1-14-2009 by David K]

El Camote - 1-14-2009 at 11:36 AM

Myself and my mini-me copilot are planning on tagging along with Lou and the EDR splinter group, if they'll have us.

Count us in for 1 1/2 persons. :bounce:

bajalou - 1-14-2009 at 01:49 PM

Sounds good to me Mike welcome aboard.

BajaWarrior - 1-14-2009 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang

That's great, last year there were about 8 MC/quads that came along but i'll tell ya, you'll be faster. Anyone of us can carry a cooler and or fuel for you...

Where are you planning to stay?

Potluck on Saturday night at our beach house, all welcome. We have 3 cart BBQ's and two full kitchens.

The main ride to the desert will be on Sunday, followed by El General Tacos in San Felipe

BajaWarrior - 1-14-2009 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacrawler

Jack

Main ride/drive is on Sunday. Where are you planning on staying?

See posts by me for more details or U2U

MOTOSOTO - 1-14-2009 at 06:54 PM

Quote:

...ya, me too...I'll be there on my bike [KTM990ADV] and will make sure I bring something along to share with the group...really looking forward to the trip...

BAJACAT - 1-14-2009 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Fuel is no problem last year i carry fuel for the Moto guys (stickers),I also can carry your beer, can promise you that all will make it, but you will have a few left.

XRPhlang - 1-15-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That's great, last year there were about 8 MC/quads that came along but i'll tell ya, you'll be faster. Anyone of us can carry a cooler and or fuel for you...

Where are you planning to stay?

Potluck on Saturday night at our beach house, all welcome. We have 3 cart BBQ's and two full kitchens.

The main ride to the desert will be on Sunday, followed by El General Tacos in San Felipe
\
Thanks for the welcome. I may come down a couple of days early and take a ride through Calamajue Cyn. and meet up with the group for the pot luck and ride on Sunday. I'll have my truck to camp in and steaks for the bar-b. Can't wait!

Baja Sept 2007 005r.JPG - 37kB

BajaWarrior - 1-15-2009 at 04:26 PM

Sounds good XRPhlang.

When we get closer to the date we can exchange some personal info for contact.

We have a large compound for your vehicle and house privledges are extended.

BAJACAT - 1-17-2009 at 10:01 PM

Do you guys know what happen to steekers

David K - 1-17-2009 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
Do you guys know what happen to steekers

He is doing fine... he called me last Sunday... He pops in here to read a bit. Has been busy with construction on his El Dorado home and flying is plane...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steekers, Dave Deal and I ... Three Baja Nuts!

IMG_1604-r.JPG - 26kB

BAJACAT - 1-17-2009 at 11:45 PM

Thanks David I send him a u2u regarding the 09 Nomad ride and didn't get and answer. thanks I will try later..

bajasol - 1-18-2009 at 02:12 AM

The trip sounds like a great time. I just watched the Matomi Trail trip video from 2001. David K let me borrow it to take a peek, fun times. And shot very well too. I will try and trade my Volvo wagon for a friends truck for the weekend. As long that is okay for a newbie to join in on the trip...what kind of initiations go on? No extra liquids in my open Tecate por favor :P

BAJACAT - 1-18-2009 at 11:53 PM

Bajasol, you are welcome,Newbies are ok to join in, the invitation was made to all nomads, so as soon as you get a screenname in bajaNomad, you are a Nomad, regarless of your number of post.If you can trade your Volvo, don't worry there is plenty of room in the other vehicles, one more question, are you a :coolup: or a :dudette: just curious.

Ps. Extra liquids in open mexican beer is have the fun, don't tell me that you haven't pour some clamato juice inside your Tecate can:no:

David K - 1-19-2009 at 10:28 AM

I enjoyed meeting bajasol at my home, last week! I loaned him my 'El Camote' produced video 'Matomi 2001'... Which is a great 18 minute film with music showing all the Amigos who made up the first Matomi group excursion SAT: http://vivabaja.com/shell and SUN. : http://vivabaja.com/matomi It would be great to get it on You Tube... So everyone can see what a great job Camote did and how much fun a bunch of Baja nuts can have when we get together.

On the Matomi 2001 weekend are myself and my 2 kids, El Camote, Mike Humfreville, jeans, Amo Pescar, Neal & Marian Johns, bajaboy, Mexray, Dave McFarland from Desert Explorers, Westy, elgatoloco, Wild Bill & LN.

Matomi 2004 was a great repeat of fun: http://vivabaja.com/204
Mike Humfreville came back with Mary Ann and Mexray brought Pat to join the new members of the run: Georock and family, Bob H & Audrey, Surfer Jim, DuTurtle, Tuna Eater and his dad Rudy, and more!

BAJACAT - 1-19-2009 at 09:52 PM

David it is the one that i watch with you in your house.
Thanks for clearing that up you know the boy and girl thing(BAJASOL'S GENDER), It's nice to converse to someone knowing their gender,for the longest time I thought BAJABOUND 2005 was a guy , what a suerprise turn out to be , she was a classy lady...

David K - 1-20-2009 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
David it is the one that i watch with you in your house.
Thanks for clearing that up you know the boy and girl thing(BAJASOL'S GENDER), It's nice to converse to someone knowing their gender,for the longest time I thought BAJABOUND 2005 was a guy , what a suerprise turn out to be , she was a classy lady...

It must have been... I don't remember what we watched when you were here.

El Camote made three videos (short films) in 2001 of us having fun:

1) Matomi 2001 18 min.
2) BBBB-1: Cielito Lindo & Las Pintas 19 min.
3) Lost Mission Hunt Preview 3 min.

Cyanide41 - 1-20-2009 at 03:20 PM

I swear I made a post in here this morning. So anyways.... short version is.. I think I will make this "event". I am getting the truck ready to (try to)prevent any trail side mechanics

BajaWarrior - 1-20-2009 at 06:01 PM

Hey gang,

my wife Chris, her son Geoff and I just got back last night from our beach house below San Felipe. We drove a sampling of the road we'll be taking on Pres. Day Weekend. We drove over to the Rancho Percebu turnoff and we headed out to the desert at that point.

We were driving our Toyota 4x4 pickup and her son (age 12) was driving our Bronco ll

The 4 mile road out to the Old Puertocitis Highway was mostly small whoops but we were able to do just fine and that was with our two dogs in the bed of the Toyota. We turned right and drove for about a mile to the second set of power lines that head west. At that junction we turned left and basically followed the road that lies just north of the actual Huatamote Arroyo. As we drove the two to three miles along this road the arroyo appeared to fall away as the road we were on became elevated.

We did a nice hill climb at the end of this road by going into the arroyo and then back up. We then continued on with our trip by again heading west into the next arroyo north. More whoops were to follow but only for a mile then leading to a intersection. The road to the right will take you directly to the back of the airport property (as we used it for our exit of the desert) but we again headed west and marked the trail with a stack of rocks and a tire on edge. At that point it became a nice wide open wash where we able to pick up some speed. We traveled maybe another 3 miles and had lunch and checked out all the caves in the area, did a little hiking, and then headed back.

We saw a few cows but mostly horses, much to the delight of the dogs as they tried to herd them.

That's about it gang, from the time we left the pavement (which is only 6 miles north of my house in Playa Hermosa) we drove 16 miles west and it was just beautiful. The desert is in full bloom, and I imagine further west it's even more lush.

Time is winding down, make your plans now and bring a friend. My neighbor and friend BajaRob is getting some of the guys together from our area in the Santa Maria area but some of you that showed some interest earlier we need to hear from you again. Again, if anyone needs accomidations just contact me and we'll get you situated.

Chuck

Truck was home recently for shocks, mirrors, exhaust, speakers, oil change, and a bath.

[Edited on 1-21-2009 by BajaWarrior]

r.toyota.JPG - 40kB

BajaWarrior - 1-20-2009 at 06:11 PM

Schatzie and desert Horse

r.DogHorse.JPG - 38kB

BajaWarrior - 1-20-2009 at 06:16 PM

Geoff climbing in the Bronco ll. (steeper than it looks, really)

This is only a side dish, not part of the trail, but if anyone want to go for it, it is only 100' from the trail we are on (Gadget!)

r.BroncoHillClimb.JPG - 42kB

BajaWarrior - 1-20-2009 at 06:21 PM

This is the best turnoff for our Campo. By taking this road at this sign (which is exactly 6 miles south of Rancho Percebu) and driving 1 mile to the WATER (Gadget!) and then turning left for a distance of 4 houses will bring you to our home. More details to follow...

r.SignOnHighway.JPG - 40kB

BajaWarrior - 1-20-2009 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
I swear I made a post in here this morning. So anyways.... short version is.. I think I will make this "event". I am getting the truck ready to (try to)prevent any trail side mechanics

Your more than welcome to join us, welcome to the board!

Contact me for further details...

BW

BAJACAT - 1-20-2009 at 10:01 PM

Can wait Chuck my truck is ready..

BAJACAT - 1-21-2009 at 06:36 PM

23 DAYS LEFT..

Gadget - 1-22-2009 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Geoff climbing in the Bronco ll. (steeper than it looks, really)

This is only a side dish, not part of the trail, but if anyone want to go for it, it is only 100' from the trail we are on (Gadget!)

Looks positively brutal!
Next year when we do #5 and I have GSB back together I will launch off this for all of you from the other direction and show you all how to do a 6000 lb. lawn dart. :o
Or not.
See you in a few

BAJACAT - 1-22-2009 at 09:55 PM

Will I think i ratter climb it than jump it, i want to come back in one pice.:lol:

4th Annual nomand

Bug - 1-23-2009 at 06:38 AM

Has any one gone up or down Matomi canyon this year.. I went down it in October, and did rock climbing threw the narrow canyon part. It's change since the last few rains..

David K - 1-23-2009 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bug
Has any one gone up or down Matomi canyon this year.. I went down it in October, and did rock climbing threw the narrow canyon part. It's change since the last few rains..

Do you have any photos?

Bug - 1-23-2009 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bug

Do you have any photos?

Bug - 1-23-2009 at 08:55 PM

David I am sorry I don't take a camera with me very often..

I was just seeing if anyone else out there in Baja, have gone threw the Matomi canyon this year. To see how they did, going threw that canyon. Have you gone threw it this year yet.

BajaWarrior - 1-23-2009 at 10:08 PM

Bug,

I have not been out there this past year but last year twice.

If part of your question is whether it is passable through there I'm not sure but this years Presidents Weekend Trail Ride will be west from the Bahia Santa Maria area to the Huatamote Arroyo to Agua Caliente then Berrendero then to San Felipe and back again to Bahia Santa Maria.

Your more than welcome to join us this year if you like. What vehicle are you driving?

Bug - 1-23-2009 at 11:54 PM

Thank you for the invite. I have been thinking of joining you all. I drive a sandrail, jeep 4x4, and several other buggys. I run the desert 2,3 and 4 times a week. Live in El Dorado Ranch.

I just ran threw Huatamote canyon, and it really great. I had a mexican worker working for me and I had mention about when I went to Agua Caliente a few weeks ago, there was a gate with a lock, where you could not enter into the canyon, the sign said to go to the ranch and get the key. I went to the ranch and the rancher wanted $10 per buggy to go up into the cayon. Since I had been there many of time, I said I was not going to pay. But the mexican worker, said two canyon south of Agua Caliente, there are hot springs, up in that canyon. So I have been hiking many canyon, and have not found a hot spring yet. I really enjoy hiking to no where.

I was thinking of join up with the group on saturday, and go back home that afternoon, got a hot date, then early sunday run back and rejoin the group.

BajaWarrior - 1-24-2009 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bug
Thank you for the invite. I have been thinking of joining you all. I drive a sandrail, jeep 4x4, and several other buggys. I run the desert 2,3 and 4 times a week. Live in El Dorado Ranch.

I just ran threw Huatamote canyon, and it really great. I had a mexican worker working for me and I had mention about when I went to Agua Caliente a few weeks ago, there was a gate with a lock, where you could not enter into the canyon, the sign said to go to the ranch and get the key. I went to the ranch and the rancher wanted $10 per buggy to go up into the cayon. Since I had been there many of time, I said I was not going to pay. But the mexican worker, said two canyon south of Agua Caliente, there are hot springs, up in that canyon. So I have been hiking many canyon, and have not found a hot spring yet. I really enjoy hiking to no where.

I was thinking of join up with the group on saturday, and go back home that afternoon, got a hot date, then early sunday run back and rejoin the group.

Myself and the rest ot the group have not seen Agua Caliente so we are interested in going there but the alternative canyon with the hot springs may be possible as well. There happens to be a group from El Dorado meeting up with us, and the screen name of the Trail Boss in BajaLou.
Go back a few pages and you will see what he has to say, he is leading a group from El Dorado and is meeting us out in the desert, maybe Quartz mountain.

Bug - 1-24-2009 at 08:57 AM

I know Baja Lou very well. Baja lou, has help me learn the desert threw out the years. Sound like alot of fun.. Hope to meet all of you.. As I mention I have not found that other hot spring yet, just been hiking around the mountains looking for it.

David K - 1-24-2009 at 09:23 AM

There are no records of any other hot springs in the Valle Chico canyons, other than Agua Caliente Canyon. That doesn't mean one hasn't been discovered in another canyon, just nobody wrote about it.

In 1978 I asked the original owner of Rancho El Matomi, Tomas Dowling, if there were hot springs in his canyon. Nope.

In 2004, Jide and I visited Parral, Berrendo, Carrizo, Agua Caliente and El Cajon canyons... http://vivabaja.com/404 We met Baja Lou and the group from El Dorado that trip. Taco de Baja and his friends Mexitron, Huddo, and Pappy also met us in Parral and continued to Matomi to hike up it's canyon, beyond the road: http://vivabaja.com/mexitron/page5.html

[Edited on 1-24-2009 by David K]

Map1.jpg - 42kB

Bug - 1-25-2009 at 09:41 PM

I also have never heard of another hot spring, until the mexican worker told me about it. Yes he spoke english. But since I have a lot of time on my hands, why not go out there and hike a few mountains. I find it's a great way to loose weight. I enjoy going on treasure hunts, even tho I don't find the treasure. I have been to all those canyons on your map many, many times. Always looking for some new. I like hiking the mountain for a few hours and see whats out there. I find I can never get enough to see.

David K - 1-26-2009 at 10:59 AM

That's great... I would like to join you if I could... treasure hunting and lost mission hunting is great in Baja... Even though we KNOW there are no treasures or lost missions... LOL!

Tomas of Matomi told me how he walked from his ranch to El Rosario.. just over the hill! The cave of skulls was also an intersting story!

So much Baja... so little time!

Bug - 1-26-2009 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
That's great... I would like to join you if I could... treasure hunting and lost mission hunting is great in Baja... Even though we KNOW there are no treasures or lost missions... LOL!

Tomas of Matomi told me how he walked from his ranch to El Rosario.. just over the hill! The cave of skulls was also an intersting story!

So much Baja... so little time!

Bug - 1-26-2009 at 06:56 PM

David, I would really enjoy hearing that story... I am going to do a trip threw all the canyons between Hwy2 to Hwy 3 on the east side of Baja. There's a small group of us. leaving on the 7th of February and I figure about five days or so. There's a few of us that hike and a few sit and wait. So I am searching on the internet to find information on any of the canyons, so I can really have my homework done. I like to fill the head and walk the legs.

You are always welcome to join us.. Hum... the cave of skulls sounds intersting.

David K - 1-27-2009 at 11:24 AM

Thank you! Use the Nomad search feature and you will find lot's of details on the Sierra Juarez canyons... Nomads Jide, Tajo, and Neal Johns have shared a lot.

I made a web page to show Jide's Juarez canyon photos: http://vivabaja.com/jide

Thanks for the invite! Once I rebuild my funds... then it's back to Baja!

BajaWarrior - 1-27-2009 at 05:02 PM

Only a couple of more weeks til the big trail ride...

How about some our guest from last year, Neal Johns? TacoFeliz? Steekers?

We had some other guys show interest this trip too, SurferJim? Others?

BajaRob, are you getting some interest from some of the guys in our area? How about Jerry Abbott, he has to bring a spare this time... Jim Avance? Walt? David and Joan are in again...

David K - 1-27-2009 at 05:07 PM

Steekers can't make it (work) and neither can I (lack of work)!

So you guys have a GREAT TIME... and remember Valentine's Day is the Saturday of that weekend!

BajaWarrior - 1-27-2009 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Steekers can't make it (work) and neither can I (lack of work)!

So you guys have a GREAT TIME... and remember Valentine's Day is the Saturday of that weekend!

Why do you think I'm taking my wife??? Kill two birds with one stone!

surfer jim - 1-27-2009 at 09:31 PM

Still thinking about it......

BAJACAT - 1-27-2009 at 11:56 PM

You are talking about this jerry Chuck.After he got the flat he got stuck on a rock a few miles down Matomi wash, I help him and almost got run over,but it was fun doing it,

BAJACAT - 1-28-2009 at 12:11 AM

Don't forget bring 2 spare tires,this was my firts flat in B^J^

David K - 1-28-2009 at 10:46 AM

Everybody check your tires carefully before going to Baja... Replace any with tread that is close to minimum... Matomi 1 & 2 saw no flats, no problems, just fun!

BAJACAT - 1-31-2009 at 12:56 PM

GANG, DUE TO TOP MANAGMENT IN THE COMPANY I WORK FOR ( TC CONSTRUCTION) THIS YEAR THEY WOULD NOT GIVE THE WORKERS PRESIDENTS DAY OFF:P, WE HAVE BEEN GETING THIS DAY OFF FOR FOR THE LAS PAST 5 YEARS, THIS YEAR IT'S GOING TO CHANGE AND AS FAR AS GETTING THE DAYS OFF IT'S NOT POSSIBLE, DUE TO THE LACK OF PERSONAL. SO FROM NOW ON PLEASE CHECK THIS WEBSITE FOR UPDATES, HOPEFULLY I WILL KEEP ON TRYING TO GET THE DAYS OFF BUT AS TODAY IS A NOT GO FOR ME,SORRY GUYS SEE CHUCK, (BAJAWARRIOR) IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING THE TRIP..:fire:

BajaWarrior - 1-31-2009 at 01:38 PM

That is a darn shame Jose, you'll be missing out on a great trip, I don't mean to rub it in though...Looking forward to seeing you another time, come another time of year and we'll take a spin out to Shell Island.

I am glad your staying so busy with work when so many are scaling down...

Pages:  1    3