BajaNomad

Fish tags

castaway$ - 11-24-2008 at 08:13 PM

I have fished and caught big game fish, some realeased and some kept for the table but I have never "tagged" fish. Having not tagged fish I am curious if there is any data collected from the tagging or is it purely a symbolic of winning the battle. It seems to me a good oportunity to collect migration data at minimum. Just curious.

Don Alley - 11-25-2008 at 08:43 AM

Data is collected on billfish. It involves volunteer participation from taggers and from anglers/captains reporting data on recaptured fish. Some of this is coordinated by The Billfish Foundation, which also provides tags.

Other than that, I don't know if there are any major efforts underway in Mexican waters to tag, recapture and collect data on other species. But if I caught a tagged pargo, cabrilla, etc I'd contact the tagger to exchange info.

bajamikey - 11-25-2008 at 08:26 PM

in aug of 82 tagged a stripe marlin off the east cape. reg the tag number with the igfa,they sent me a letter 11 months later that the marlin was caught off ensenada

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2008 at 08:32 PM

I caught a striped marlin near Hotel Punta Pescadero in 1978. The fish was tagged and released. The tag, which was provided by the CA Dept of Fish and Game, included a two-part form. When I returned from Baja, I filled out the form and mailed it to DFG. About a year later I received a letter from DFG saying that the marlin had been caught by a longliner off the coast of Japan.

castaway$ - 11-26-2008 at 11:08 PM

Thats pretty cool that there is some value to tagging at least from a personal perspective.