BajaNomad

Baja Grande 2008: Tijuana to San Felipe

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:23 PM

Last Saturday morning, our group met up in San Ysidro, CA for 1 week of Jeeping, Mariscos, and camping. We started by entering the border city of Tijuana - home of 2 million residents, and unfortunately, headlines bearing gruesome news reports. But, our group was there to pick up travel documents and to travel along Mexico Hwy 2, along a toll road which travels along the border to Tecate, down through the desert, and beyond. Our group consisted of nine vehicles - 2 of which were en route from Redlands, CA due to a water pump issue with the Ford Bronco, and another vehicle - a pop-top camper-laden Toyota Tacoma. All three of these vehicles met up with us in San Felipe.

San Felipe (san-fell-ii-pay):

Our group stayed the first night at the sea-side campground 'Campo el Sol'. We met with our friend Lou Wells, a local resident who took us to a local eatery in town - Juanitos for some local seafood. Juanitos will be moving shortly to the El Coloradito restaurant which is located near Campo el Sol. After a good nights sleep, our group woke up to the sounds of fireworks and gunfire. Children down on the beach were practicing their shooting skills with an old pistol with their fathers, and they were setting off fireworks to throw off the authorities. This reminded me of the bumper sticker that reads, "Gun Control means using both hands!" The kids and their fathers were all happy to get in some morning practice with their antique pistola. We just looked on in confusion, knowing that Mexico does not allow ownership of personal firearms, but nobody got hurt, and the kids learned from their parents how to possibly defend themselves in an increasingly hostile environment. The local caretaker of the campground - Jose, came by to collect our monies, and spoke to me about the dearth of American tourists. I explained that our headlines are now dominated with the bad news about Mexico, and most tourists are staying put inside of the United States...if they have tourism dollars at all. Jose understood, but lamented that earlier in November, they only had 2 campers all week. By comparison, Baja Grande '07 had to shoe-horn its' way into El Sol with wall to wall motorhomes, quads, bikes, and buggies.

BajaGringo - 11-30-2008 at 01:25 PM

Actually Ken, citizens of Mexico may own up to a 38 caliber as I recall.

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:26 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:32 PM

BAJACAT - 11-30-2008 at 01:48 PM

Ken what's up with that SUBARU?

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

Something was wrong with the engine. It had no pulling power to get up the hills on the dirt road it encountered. Some people abhor pickups and SUVs, but they are oftentimes a necessary evil when traveling in the backcountry.

BAJACAT - 11-30-2008 at 01:52 PM

i read all about in your nest post, thanks Ken.I allready told my wife Im doing Baja Grande next year...

David K - 11-30-2008 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Something was wrong with the engine. It had no pulling power to get up the hills on the dirt road it encountered. Some people abhor pickups and SUVs, but they are oftentimes a necessary evil when traveling in the backcountry.

Did anyone check the air filter? Of course that was a stupid choice of vehicle for pulling that junk trailer over that junk road.

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did anyone check the air filter? Of course that was a stupid choice of vehicle for pulling that junk trailer over that junk road.

The driver said that he looked in the "engine compartment." He didn't look mechanically inclined, but we just took his word that he knew what he was talking about. We had our eyes set on other things, so we didn't spend a whole lot of time talking to him about his situation. We just gave him a quick tow to the top of the grade, and we went sraight for our lunch break. YEA!

David K - 11-30-2008 at 11:01 PM

So, for all you know he is still there? :wow:

BAJACAT - 11-30-2008 at 11:15 PM

Where is triple A when you need them,I got a question what are you supposed to do in a case like this, do you put your trip in hold to make sure the guy is going to make home alright,or help the guy just enough to go bye?

Barry A. - 11-30-2008 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Where is triple A when you need them,I got a question what are you supposed to do in a case like this, do you put your trip in hold to make sure the guy is going to make home alright,or help the guy just enough to go bye?

I say you help them to the point that they can presumably make it from there.

Barry

David K - 11-30-2008 at 11:40 PM

or if the guy says 'thank you... please go on, we will figure it out'....

A clogged air filter is the first thing to check after miles of dirty road when the enginge is starving for power... IMO.

schwlind - 12-1-2008 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

I also think it is legal to have these type of weapons in your home, you just can't transport or carry them. So if the Delgado comes calling to your house, you won't automatically go to jail for having them there.

Now how they got there is another question... No sé...

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2008 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

I also think it is legal to have these type of weapons in your home, you just can't transport or carry them. So if the Delgado comes calling to your house, you won't automatically go to jail for having them there.

Now how they got there is another question... No sé...

The children would set off an M-80 on the sand, and fire a couple of rounds to confuse the policia, but none came down to spectate. No worries, though. Everyone was responsible and respectable.

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 09:02 PM

Campo Del Sol - San Felipe

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 09:05 PM

At the Pemex in San Felipe's Traffic Circle

ElCazador - 12-20-2008 at 08:24 PM

Good story, great pictures Ken. Nice white-man fire! Looks like you had fun. We're headed down to San Felipe for 2 weeks manana (where's that tilde key?) . Can't wait to not run into throngs of US Tourists (like us).
Funny thing. We cruised Cuba in our own sailboat for 2 months in 2000 and came away confused. Do we support the embargo to keep the cruise ships away? I think - yes. US tourists are certainly a double-edged sword...

Vamos a Mexico!

Guys Nuev-isimo: ElCazador y Carlotita

[Edited on 12-21-2008 by ElCazador]

Bajahowodd - 12-21-2008 at 03:26 PM

The Cuba thing is about to change, and about time. It's all been political. Currying votes, especially in South Florida. Anyway, from Cancun, it's a very short flight (30 minutes). You can buy a package that includes a Hotel in Cuba, and the Cuban immigration will not stamp you passport.

talvino - 12-21-2008 at 04:50 PM

Made sure the Subaru is good to get out.
second year on the Baja Grande for me
thank you Ken.
words r not enuf to describe the experiance!!

Thanks, Tal!

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2008 at 11:20 PM

This was truly a great time out on the trail.

Cuba would be a great experience, but I'll wait for things to become legal. I've had my run-ins with ICE in Miami, and visiting Cuba would only make me more paranoid on my return visits to Colombia. I have seen Cuba from the air about 4 times, and it looked really interesting.