BajaNomad

Baja Grande: Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:36 PM

Puertecitos (pw-air-tay-see-tos)/Gonzaga Bay (gohn-zaa-guh bay):

Our group departed San Felipe at around 10:15 a.m. We met up with Joe and Sandra at the local Pemex station. Joe and Sandra know me from the Baja forum: BajaNomad.com and were eager to test out their new Toyota Tacoma with a new pop-up camper top. So, after everyone gassed up their vehicles, we set our rigs south to Gonzaga Bay along Mexico Hwy 5. In Puertecitos (pw-air-tay-see-tos) we stopped to air down our tires - although the road ahead was paved for a considerable stretch by the local government, many, many more miles of Jeep-torturing lie ahead. After approximately 1 hour, we came across an American couple attempting to pull a small trailer behind their AWD Subaru Outlander. The engine was practically out of torque, and sputtered, showing everyone on our trip the benefit of driving a Jeep into Baja. Ron connected a tow rope to the back of his sparking-new Unlimted JK Rubicon, and took the couple to the crest of the highest hill. We do not know if they were able to make it to the border, but their Subaru sure looked ready for the junkyard.
We stopped for a lunch break, and the guys were already catching fish. Tom and his gf Iris took their TJ Sport for a trip to the top of the local mountain. I took some photos of their attempt, but the rocks near the top of this old volcano were too big for the 35" shod Jeep, and Tom decided to head towards the beach for some lunch. After roughly 1.5 hrs, we were back on the trail, and arrived to the Pemex station by 3:30 p.m. We all gassed up, and half of our group settled for Rancho Grande, while just a couple of our group stayed at the cleaner, Campo Beluga. While driving on the sand between camps, I picked up a 2" long stick in my tire. The tire was repaired here at home, but without an adequate trail spare, I became a little nervous.
The next day, we rose early, and headed further south - our destination? Puerto San Francisquito.

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:40 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 01:48 PM

Kell-Baja - 11-30-2008 at 01:57 PM

MORE GREAT PICS.

David K - 11-30-2008 at 04:18 PM

I am going to guess the Subaru's air filter was full of dust and starving the engine for air!

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I am going to guess the Subaru's air filter was full of dust and starving the engine for air!

The driver revved his engine for me, and the thing kept shutting down. Had I thought about it, I would have popped open the back of my Jeep, powered up the air compressors and blown the dust out of his filter. But, he told me he "Looked at the engine." Whatever that meant at the time.

capt. mike - 11-30-2008 at 06:03 PM

nice AC - was that his camp at belluga?
i need to do that asap.....how much per nite?
did you get his N number by chance?

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
nice AC - was that his camp at belluga?
i need to do that asap.....how much per nite?
did you get his N number by chance?

Nice AC? Air Conditioning? I don't get it.

These photos are from Campo Beluga. Per night, the cost was $15. This included flush toilets and cold showers.

"N" Number? What is that?

bajalou - 11-30-2008 at 07:10 PM

The wrecked plane - "N" numbers

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2008 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
The wrecked plane - "N" numbers

N200FM

oxxo - 11-30-2008 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
In Puertecitos (pw-air-tay-see-tos) we stopped to air down our tires

So did you stop by and pay a courtesy call to MrBill? :yes:

N200FM

Marla Daily - 11-30-2008 at 10:10 PM

According to NTSB site, N200FM is assigned to a milti-engine turbo-prop Beech 200 out
of Las Vegas owned by Citation Ventures Inc.

David K - 11-30-2008 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

MrBillM doesn't live at Puertecitos...

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2008 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

MrBillM doesn't live at Puertecitos...

If he did, we had better things to do. :!:

capt. mike - 12-1-2008 at 08:05 AM

Sorry Ken - AC = Aircraft
N number = registration numerals on the side, usually 12"

that N number was the wrecked King Air at PSFO. i had that.
what i was wondering about was the high wing Cessna in your fotos here, by the tent and palapa at Beluga.

nice trip reports too.

[Edited on 12-1-2008 by capt. mike]

Iflyfish - 12-1-2008 at 08:19 AM

Great pics and report, thanks for sharing this wonderful adventure with us.

Iflyfish

David K - 12-1-2008 at 09:10 AM

Mike, I would guess that plane by a palapa photo was at Rancho Grande's beach, since there is a runway that is right there... none at Beluga and no way to taxi the mile in deep sand. The airsteam trailer is also a give-a-way. The photo was probably to show the unique 'fly-in camping' available in Baja!?

capt. mike - 12-1-2008 at 10:23 AM

yeah - yur right DK. it is R grande. i seem to confuse those palapas with Beluga for some reason.
i'm thinking it is a mex registered plane since no 12" numbers.

El Camote - 12-1-2008 at 09:23 PM

Was the whale shark at Gonzaga? Looks like you took the 3rd shot from shore, si?

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by El Camote]

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2008 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
yeah - yur right DK. it is R grande. i seem to confuse those palapas with Beluga for some reason.
i'm thinking it is a mex registered plane since no 12" numbers.

Half of our group stayed at Rancho Grande for the better shore fishing. But, their outhouses were blown down, and only 3 or 4 stood, undamaged. Beluga has much better facilities, so this was a no-brainer for me. But, the caretaker's dog pooped all up and down the beach, so the guys who wanted to fish packed up, and took themselves to Rancho Grande, instead. Everyone was happy, and these guys got to go whale shark watching early the next morning.

airmech - 12-2-2008 at 08:55 PM

Hey Capn, The 172 appears to be Steve's, another French Valley flier. He has some great shots of that plane on beaches next to shipwrecks and other stuff that would be cool here. Never asked if reads this thing or not. bg

capt. mike - 12-3-2008 at 08:07 AM

well lets get him on board.
you outa French Valley?? wow i'd kill to live in Temecula and area has to be some of the prettiest country in socal, and the vin ain't bad either.
it was Joe French that got the fuel truck down to Don J not too long back.

Bajafun777 - 12-3-2008 at 09:01 AM

Ken, great photos and sounds like you had a blast. Nothing like camping out and getting the fire going and having fresh hot coffee cooked over a coleman stove and enjoying the natural things in an easy on the easy way of life---ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Later-----bajafun777

Ken Cooke - 12-3-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Ken, great photos and sounds like you had a blast. Nothing like camping out and getting the fire going and having fresh hot coffee cooked over a coleman stove and enjoying the natural things in an easy on the easy way of life---ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Later-----bajafun777

I had a great time. I can't wait until next year. I met some really great people and had a blast with everyone. Too bad, my Tire Carrier is bent, twisted & tweaked. I'm getting it replaced real soon, so I won't have to worry about the Hi-Lift and spare 33" tire falling off the Jeep in traffic. :!:

Bob H - 12-3-2008 at 09:31 PM

Quote:

David, your comment reminds me of the exact same thing that happend to Mike Humpreville on Shell Island a few years ago. Remember the stuff that you shook out of his air filter then? Wow.... Then, he restarted and his truck ran great! What great memories.
Bob H

David K - 12-4-2008 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

David, your comment reminds me of the exact same thing that happend to Mike Humpreville on Shell Island a few years ago. Remember the stuff that you shook out of his air filter then? Wow.... Then, he restarted and his truck ran great! What great memories.
Bob H

Exactly! What did Mike and Mary Ann call that white Suburban, 'La Ballena Blanca'?

On Shell Island L to R : Georock's Hummer, Humfreville's Suburban, Mexray's Bronco, Surfer Jim's Chevy truck...

Rudy (Tunaeater's dad) and Mike Humfreville next to the Ballena Blanca. On the way to Matomi Canyon, Prez Day 2004.

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 07:37 AM

Mike was a nice guy. Thanks for posting these photos, David.

David K - 12-4-2008 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Mike was a nice guy. Thanks for posting these photos, David.

Yah, Mike was special ... We were lucky to have spent many times with him!

Here is a favorite photo I took at Las Flores, July 4, 2001 on the return from our first Lost Mission Search:

Mike's book, available from Sunbelt, Discover Baja Travel Club, etc. :

humfreville.JPG - 50kB

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 09:07 PM

Stopping to help the Subaru driver:

Fishing on the way to Gonzaga Bay...south of Puertecitos w/Amir and Tal

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 09:09 PM

Rancho Grande for Team Isreal, Beluga for everyone else

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2008 at 09:12 PM

Going Whale Shark viewing: (while I drove to Rancho Grande General Store to change my tire).