BajaNomad

protected species

mulege marv - 12-6-2008 at 08:44 AM

being fairly new to baja fishing you hear different "facts" from everyone you talk to. i was wondering if there is an "accurate" list ( IN PRINT) of protected species in the sea of cortez ? i mean everyone knows the totoaba is protected and came way to late, but i have also heard the "golden grouper" is also protected, but on mexfish it states it is sold commercially and describes it as the "bread and butter" fish of baja , and also "excellent table fair". in mexico it seems you are expected to follow the rules but finding out what the "actual" rules are is pretty difficult. knowing what is "legal catch" and what is not would be a big help to all anglers, or it would seem.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/lepgrp/lepgrp.htm

flyfishinPam - 12-6-2008 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulege marv
being fairly new to baja fishing you hear different "facts" from everyone you talk to. i was wondering if there is an "accurate" list ( IN PRINT) of protected species in the sea of cortez ? i mean everyone knows the totoaba is protected and came way to late, but i have also heard the "golden grouper" is also protected, but on mexfish it states it is sold commercially and describes it as the "bread and butter" fish of baja , and also "excellent table fair". in mexico it seems you are expected to follow the rules but finding out what the "actual" rules are is pretty difficult. knowing what is "legal catch" and what is not would be a big help to all anglers, or it would seem.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/lepgrp/lepgrp.htm

you should be able to find it here:

http://www.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/wb/

yes its in Spanish.

received today (email)

mulege marv - 12-9-2008 at 11:01 AM

Dear Marv, Currently the only fish species enjoying federal protection is the totuava, found in the upper Sea of Cortez. Any other fish is subject to capture under sportfishing activities but there may be specific daily limits on certain fish. ornamental fish are not allowed to be collected under a sportfishing license, and neither are mollusks or shellfish, which are reserved for the commercial fishing co-ops, and have their own specific off-seasons for havesting. It goes without saying that marine mammals and turtles may not be captured at any time time, either. Tony EstradaCONAPESCA/Oficina de Pesca en San Diego619.233.4324

toneart - 12-9-2008 at 01:43 PM

Marv,

I believe you can get a printed list at the place in Santa Rosalia where you get your fishing license; the little shack on the right, across from the Pemex, before you get to the stop sign. I saw one tacked to the wall last year, just inside the door.

(the other Tony):light:

Osprey - 12-9-2008 at 03:18 PM

Marv, the rules are changing. From La Paz to the tip of the peninsula, in Mexican waters there are new limits. The list does not list fish you cannot catch but redefines the limits and kinds of fish each licensee is permitted. My lone copy didn't scan well but I think they will be distributing many of these brochures since everybody has signed on : CONAPESCA, THE GOVERNOR, SEMAR, FONMAR, SCT, CONANP AND SAGARPA. For example the old limit: Two Dorado counts as one marlin. NEW WORDING: One marlin and 2 dorado = 10 points. Each licensee has a limit of 10 points max. per day.

55steve - 12-12-2008 at 07:34 AM

2 dorado has always been 5 points - a marlin has always been 5 points. I fail to see the change Osprey.

I've always wondered why dorado being the most prolific pelagic fish in the worlds temperate/tropical seas has only a 2 fish limit in Mex - seems that Mexico would be far better served by managing groundfish with tighter restrictions. It does far more damage to remove gulf groupers 10 at a time than dorado.

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by 55steve]

Osprey - 12-12-2008 at 08:46 AM

The wording on licenses since 1979 has been "one marlin counts as two dorado" (or the reverse) so if you have 2 dorado you may not keep a marlin UNTIL NOW WITH THE NEW 10 POINT SYSTEM POINTS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED AND YOU MAY KEEP BOTH THE MARLIN AND THE DORADO. The old rules weren't correct: ask yourself "what does one dorado equal?".

again

mulege marv - 12-12-2008 at 12:57 PM

like i said in my original post, i would like to see an "accurate" list ( IN PRINT) . as there is much confusion about this and i really would like fact rather than opinion. (no offence). i will check the pesca office next time in santa rosalia.

flyfishinPam - 12-12-2008 at 01:06 PM

that point system is dumber than... oh well. According to those points, nothing has changed. It looks like a different way of explaining the existing rules.

You're allowed 10 fish per day
dorado limit is 2 which would be 5 of other species, so here 2=5
billfish is one per day so 1=5 with their example of 2 dorado and 1 billfish counting as your 10 fish limit.

Marv's question is about species that are and aren't permitted.
I will try and get something for you on Monday, today the office is shut. It will likely be in Spanish, I'll scan and post it.

Ospery can you be more specific on the new limits S. of La Paz to the cape? I heard there was a LOT of commercial fishing going on S of La Paz that everyone who came through here and north talked about. I also read in OEM that BCS was supposed to get the old limits on commerical fishing back again making the NOM029 invalid off our state. So far I have not seen this to be the case up here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Marv, the rules are changing. From La Paz to the tip of the peninsula, in Mexican waters there are new limits. The list does not list fish you cannot catch but redefines the limits and kinds of fish each licensee is permitted. My lone copy didn't scan well but I think they will be distributing many of these brochures since everybody has signed on : CONAPESCA, THE GOVERNOR, SEMAR, FONMAR, SCT, CONANP AND SAGARPA. For example the old limit: Two Dorado counts as one marlin. NEW WORDING: One marlin and 2 dorado = 10 points. Each licensee has a limit of 10 points max. per day.

Osprey - 12-12-2008 at 02:47 PM

On Dec 5, page 11 or La Tribuna Los Cabos newspaper there was a full page formal thank you letter from fishing conservation groups to Sen. Copolla for gaining the votes to pass Article 68 banning commercial fishing inside the 50 mile limits including making it illegal to have game fish as bycatch. Has nothing to do with those still operating under NOM 029 and I don't really see the grand difference right now. I'll try to find out more. I think the vaquita and the toutuava are the only fish recognized by everybody as "protected" in any way. Marv, Pesca will only give you the point system fish and the limits -- all other rules are on the 1979 Congress laws about finned fish, no mulluscs, no air harpoons, etc. and are still the same as far as I know.

flyfishinPam - 12-15-2008 at 12:28 PM

I'll have to post that list tomorrow (tues) as its getting late and I am behind on my work today.

flyfishinPam - 12-16-2008 at 09:23 AM

I've got the fishing regulations from PESCA in English and Spanish. They're old and still talking about the 50 mile limit and there is no list of protected species doesn't even mention totuava but it does mention that mollusks, shellfish, crustaceans, aquatic reptiles, mammals and amphibians are prohibited. Let me know if you want me to scan it and I will, otherwise the answer is there is no protected species list in existence. So if you get "caught" with a "protected species" ask the official to show you in writing where it says a sport angler cannot catch them. I will see if the Eco Alianza office has something to this effect when they come in but I'm not holding my breath.

Pompano - 12-16-2008 at 11:45 AM

Many years ago, 'cabrilla' were said to be on the unofficial 'protected' list...even though nobody could ever find it in print. Even so, radio talk then was confined to 'brownies' and could be easily confused with Pacificos when talking to my old amigo, Marty.