BajaNomad

A huge krill bloom taking place on the west coast

baitcast - 12-8-2008 at 02:37 PM

Reason it seems is because of water temp. is the lowest it been in the last ten years,averaging 52 degrees.

Fox news 9:30 am
Rob

woody with a view - 12-8-2008 at 02:42 PM

must be the global warming.....:?:

Barry A. - 12-8-2008 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Reason it seems is because of water temp. is the lowest it been in the last ten years,averaging 52 degrees.

Fox news 9:30 am
Rob

------darn--------there goes that FOX NEWS again, reporting subversive information undermining the PC prevailing "point of view".

Obviously they should be sanctioned. :lol:

Barry

baitcast - 12-8-2008 at 03:10 PM

:lol: I knew you boys would do it for me.
Rob

Bajaboy - 12-8-2008 at 03:29 PM

Just curious what part of the West Coast is averaging 52 degrees? Obviously nothing south of Santa Barbara. I'm sure Fox News also reported we weren't in a recession.

Skipjack Joe - 12-8-2008 at 05:13 PM

YFT at Asuncion on Christmas Day seems a bit unusual.

Perhaps Shari should send her reports to provide some balance.

Frank - 12-8-2008 at 05:54 PM

Nice spot of warm water sitting off of Shari's place. There is still Tuna being caught as close as Ensenada.

Heres a link to Tempbreak, it covers the whole coast.
http://www.tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=bz

Pompano - 12-9-2008 at 06:56 AM

Generally, the world's oceans are 1/2 degree F warmer than 50 years ago.

The anomaly is the Pacific water off California, which is 1/2 degree colder...most likely due to a refusal to accept a majority decision. ;)

shari - 12-9-2008 at 07:05 AM

We had a huge red pelagic crab bloom here a couple weeks ago and the water is in the mid seventies at least..., the beach was red with the little buggers...some people throw em in the frying pan...they're pretty darn good...taste like mini shrimp.
Still lots of tuna and YT around these days....smoker is workin overtime!

[Edited on 12-10-2008 by shari]

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2008 at 10:05 AM

Are you refering to the red pelagic crabs? The tuna crabs? I've seen them in the past at Asuncion. I think krill are too small to be eaten individually. Maybe they make a pate out of them.

prcrabgord2.jpg - 40kB

Iflyfish - 12-9-2008 at 11:35 AM

Krill

http://images.google.com/images?q=krill&rls=com.microsof...

Iflyfish

who knew?

woody with a view - 12-9-2008 at 12:01 PM

i can see an appetizer there!!!

images.jpg - 2kB

baitcast - 12-10-2008 at 06:46 AM

It seems there are many kinds of krill both cold and warm varieties,I had a encounter a few years back,1/4 square mile of these guys,their color was light green to a darker shade.

We were on the inside of the north end of Smith island,and so were hundreds of skipjacks,yellows,sierra,
sharks and to top it all off two whales all feeding on the krill:O

There we were right in the middle of all that chaos in a 12' tin boat:lol: needless to say a fine time was had by all until the whales would head our way,then it was hold your breath.
Rob

shari - 12-10-2008 at 07:48 AM

gracias skipjack...you are indeed correct...and they are pretty yummy.

woody with a view - 12-10-2008 at 08:29 AM

it's been a decade or so since the tuna crabs have made it NOB...

seen here mid 80's on the way to cabo san quintin...

tuna crabs - San Quintin 1985.jpg - 33kB

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
It seems there are many kinds of krill both cold and warm varieties,I had a encounter a few years back,1/4 square mile of these guys,their color was light green to a darker shade.

We were on the inside of the north end of Smith island,and so were hundreds of skipjacks,yellows,sierra,

There we were right in the middle of all that chaos in a 12' tin boat:lol: needless to say a fine time was had by all until the whales would head our way,then it was hold your breath.
Rob

I had the same experience in almost the same place, the south end of Smith Island.

I found lots of those jumping rays all in one area. They were so many they formed a wake that could be seen from a distance. As I got closer I realized they were just filtering krill right out of the water like a baleen whale. The krill were so small you couldn't see them individually very easily. They were like a dark cloud. That area gets a lot of upwhelling and the plankton just love it.

Isn't the cortez fascinating? You never know what you're going to find each day you go out. Better than reading - that's for sure.

bill erhardt - 12-10-2008 at 03:54 PM

These crabs were thick in the water last Wednesday outside Mag Bay.

051-3.JPG - 49kB

bill erhardt - 12-10-2008 at 03:55 PM

And, squid were feasting.

058-1.JPG - 49kB

bill erhardt - 12-10-2008 at 03:58 PM

Surface water temperature, by the way, was around 77 degrees.

Wiles - 12-10-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:

Rob

Know that feeling well Baitcast.:spingrin: Here is an underwater view of some krill from BOLA I took years ago.

krillBLA.jpg - 42kB

shari - 12-10-2008 at 04:18 PM

wow bill, that's the first time I've ever set my eyes on squid feeding on the surface...fantastic.

The Bay had Pelagic Crabs

Pompano - 12-10-2008 at 04:56 PM

Like Bill saw down south..pretty impressive....Pelagic Red Crabs.

Millions of red crabs swimming in the ocean..massed together. I've seen this a few times in the Mulege area and the Pacific coasts of Baja. Somewhat cyclic every few years, these ocean swimmers follow warm currents and swarm all around Baja and some even north up the Cal Coast. They become stranded on beaches due to wind and currents, not by choice. I remember videoing the event here in Conception Bay in 1987.

Their bodies formed windrows on the beaches sometimes up to three feet deep. There was a red ring of them completely around the bay and then down the coast to Pta Teresa....an unbelievable amount of sealife....looking like this internet photo I found, but many, many more than are showing here.

Everthing imaginable was feeding on countless millions of them at sea and in the waters of the Bay. They are a significant source of food for blue whales and other baleen whales.

There were Orcas in Coyote Bay then, too. Nothing like Whales!
They were after whatever was after the big run of red crabs. It was a crazy week...every predator in the ocean eating each other..and the gulls, pelicans, squid and baleens eating the crabs...all the beaches and level shorelines were windrowed red with millions of dead crabs...took some time for the stench to disappear.

The research ship, Calypso, came to study the event with Cousteau's son in charge. The odd part was..that once the crabs had died on the beach, nothing ate them..not even the buzzards.

Not even this Norwegian..;D

p.s. Here is a photo of some krill...about the size of a paper clip.

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by Pompano]

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2008 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
And, squid were feasting.

When I first saw that picture my first reaction was - 'roosterfish'. Are the squid eating krill?

bill erhardt - 12-10-2008 at 05:13 PM

Shari......I hadn't seen it before either. It took a while to figure out what they were. The squid were real boat shy and would clear a big path even when I cut the motor and drifted through them. I took the picture with a 6X zoom lens.

bill erhardt - 12-10-2008 at 05:15 PM

Joe.....The squid are scarfing up the pelagic red crabs.

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2008 at 05:22 PM

You really wonder how those crabs make it.

Camouflage? - I don't think so!
Speed? - no again.
Places to hide? - Nope.
Toxic? - unlikely.

There they were bobbing in the waves out in the open. A calico would come up now and again and smash one. But other than that - nothing. Not the feeding frenzy you would expect.

woody with a view - 12-10-2008 at 05:35 PM

hey! rhat's dog beach covered in crabs....'tis been awhile!

REDCRABS.jpg - 13kB

BajaWarrior - 12-10-2008 at 05:42 PM

I remember such an infestation years ago of tuna crab. They had gotten into Mission Bay and were climbing onto the docks plus they were all over the rocks that hold the bay inside Dana Landing, what a mess!

baitcast - 12-10-2008 at 06:45 PM

When your as small as these guys you are I bet they don,t make any long range plans,they just can,t get out of the way from anything,I have google those crabs.

This is so enteresting and I agree those do look like rooster combs,it seems like every time I go down I see or hear something new,great stuff.
Rob