BajaNomad

Please help I.D. this fish

BajaWarrior - 12-27-2008 at 05:40 PM

I caught this little beauty on iron in Bahia de los Angeles some time ago and have never positively identified it. Looked it up once and thought it was a type of "midshipman"?

BTW, he was delicious!

[Edited on 12-28-2008 by BajaWarrior]

r.BahiadeLosAngelesFish.JPG - 42kB

Sallysouth - 12-27-2008 at 08:09 PM

Wow, that is one weird looking fish!Looks like a cross between a bass of some sort and a Halibut???:o:o bump

amirravon - 12-27-2008 at 11:27 PM

i know this one.... alien fish :lol:

Santiago - 12-28-2008 at 07:06 AM

Goes by a bunch of different names: "Lingcod" (not a real lingcod like on the west coast), "Big Mouth Bastard", "Jawfish". I call them "Humfrees" in honor of Mike Humfreville who targeted this fish for its good eating, though the fillets are really small. I can't seem to find it in any of my books or on Gene's fish I.D. website (http://www.mexfish.com). We will catch them on jigged iron, usually in fairly deep water - 100' to 300'. If you're going to release these fish, you will have to puncure their airbladder in order for them to get back down to the bottom. I doubt they survive the trip though.

Don Alley - 12-28-2008 at 08:33 AM

Opisthognathus rhomalea, aka Giant Jawfish or Big Mouth Bastard

Mexfish

[Edited on 12-28-2008 by Don Alley]

BajaWarrior - 12-28-2008 at 09:07 AM

Thanks to Santiago and Don Alley for the positive I.D.

I caught that little guy 18 years ago at L.A. Bay and had always wondered exactly what it was...

Santiago - 12-28-2008 at 09:23 AM

By the way - these suckers are about the slimiest things in the water IMHO.

Don Alley - 12-28-2008 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
... If you're going to release these fish, you will have to puncure their airbladder in order for them to get back down to the bottom. I doubt they survive the trip though.

I just got a release device from Charkbait.com. Haven't tried it yet. Here's a link to their web page, showing the device and how to use it:

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csd-TeamMarine.htm