BajaNomad

Trip to Ensenada

JohnH - 1-5-2009 at 10:03 PM

Just went down on the toll road Friday. Left Whittier about 215pm and got down there just after 6. Had some apprehension after all the recent massacre reports, but it's clear the drug cartels are targeting each other, not Joe the tourist. Told friends I was going and they told me not to and that I was crazy for doing it. Unfortunately my late getaway broke one of my rules so I was on the toll road in darkness, but had no problems, and there was lots of cars around me. Sorry to see my long time favorite coffee place in Ensenada Cafe Tomas had closed after over ten years of business. Spent many evenings there with reading material just hanging out. The leather shop just down from Hussongs is also gone after being there forever. Our slow economy and tourists scared of going down there is definitely affecting the town. Anthony's has live bands again and enjoyed the heck out of the dual keyboard, bass and drums band doing cumbias and ranchera's etc...Smokin! Papas and Beers looks like no more bands downstairs in the new restaurant, which has been expanded. Read some of the reports on here about potholes, and had to be on the lookout. If going down there keep your eyes on the road. Seemed like there were more than ever. There were lots of tourists and cars with calif plates on the road so not everyone is scared to go down there. I get home and read of crimes and murders here in LA (especially that poor couple mowed down in Long Beach, and an attempted car jacking right here in whittier in which a poor pregnant woman was punched in the stomach ) and wonder what exactly is the worse place for safety?

[Edited on 1-6-2009 by JohnH]

Bajahowodd - 1-5-2009 at 11:14 PM

No question that businesses in Ensenada are suffering. Actually, aside from the big baja races, tourist traffic has been declining for a few years. While I do agree that Ensenada is a great place and visit it often, for the casual tourist, it's just hard to overcome the stories of decapitated bodies strewn around TJ. Even on this forum, there have been entries noting the trepidation about just driving through to the toll road. It's a shame. And I don't see anything turning around until there are stories in the press that demonstrate a turnaround in the body count.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2009 at 11:39 AM

I spent the weekend in Tijuana and drove to Playas de Tijuana, and I'm back home in Riverside, alive and well. Walking down Calle Revoluccion felt safe, but sadly the shop vendors didn't have much business. Going to the 4WD shops, things were slow with not much business. Sad sight to see. I'll keep coming here to spend my money and enjoy life as I always have.

Bajahowodd - 1-6-2009 at 12:37 PM

I was in TJ the Saturday after new Years. Had a great meal and never felt threatened in any way. I was told that the East part of town is where most of the trouble is. And I've said it before, one would have to be incredibly unlucky to encounter a problem driving from the border to the toll road.

DENNIS - 1-6-2009 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I was told that the East part of town is where most of the trouble is. And I've said it before, one would have to be incredibly unlucky to encounter a problem driving from the border to the toll road.

Trouble is where it finds you and, although it may be uneventful to most people at most times, Tijuana is still a dangerous place. Who can argue that point without diving into odds of probability? Would anyone stroll through downtown Bahgdad soley on strength of information that the Surge is working? I doubt so.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2009 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Would anyone stroll through downtown Bahgdad soley on strength of information that the Surge is working? I doubt so.

Tijuana was nothng like Baghdad. I feel that the unstability has been completely blown out of proportion. I think these comparisons you are making are totally baseless.

DENNIS - 1-6-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Tijuana was nothng like Baghdad. I feel that the unstability has been completely blown out of proportion. I think these comparisons you are making are totally baseless.

Good. So, now that you made your point, why don't you go get in your big badass Jeep and drive all over Tijuana like it's the land of love and peace.

Bajahowodd - 1-6-2009 at 02:25 PM

Personally, I prefer the ambience of Ensenada. But I was visiting with family in Encinitas. Brother-in-law, once a taveling surfer, sticks close to home with little kids. He hadn't been across the border in years, so we went. Not enough time to get to Ensenada. And I must say, owing to a larger population base, TJ has more fine restaurants.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2009 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't have to drive...I walked. I would compare Tijuana more to New York City than Baghdad. Have you visited Tijuana recently? Or, are you making these comparisons based on Fox News? :lol::light:

Peace and Love? Yes, I fell in love with this piece of Jeep steel in Playas de Tijuana yesterday... Can you see the love radiating from this CJ-7 on 38's?? Oh Yea!!

[Edited on 1-6-2009 by Ken Cooke]

DENNIS - 1-6-2009 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Have you visited Tijuana recently? Or, are you making these comparisons from afar?

I don't visit Tijuana!!!!
Is my opinion of Tijuana completely hidden to you, Ken? Am I all that vague in my appraisel of crime reports, which you say are "blown out of proportion" because you would somehow know the true and factual level of impact that beheadings and acid baths would have on a community?
Did your extensive travels in Colombia, the birthplace of cocain violence, inure you to the point that you feel qualified to say that four thousand deaths is nothing but overblown news reports and the Mexico charm and ambiance are intact and awaiting the arrival of guests?

Stop it, Ken. Just stop it. You have no moral right to deceive anybody, let alone your own. You don't have to agree with the reports which leaves you in a position to look into them for authenticity which, given your lack of facts, you havn't done and your opinions are nothing but emotional. You are guilty of what you accuse the U.S. press of doing, misleading the public.

Wander around to your hearts content but don't try to tell anybody that danger doesn't exist. It does and will for the foreseeable future.

What I saw, rather than what I heard

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2009 at 04:55 PM

Quote:

I don't visit Tijuana!!!!

Did your extensive travels in Colombia, the birthplace of cocain violence, inure you to the point that you feel qualified to say that four thousand deaths is nothing but overblown news reports and the Mexico charm and ambiance are intact and awaiting the arrival of guests?

Stop it, Ken. Just stop it.

Everyplace I have traveled to, I have experienced some threat, or observed violent acts. Tijuana is no different.

In Mid-Michigan, I had to deal with White Supremacists who wanted to mow me down in their Camero.

In International waters off the Republic of Aaland I had to deal with three White Supremacists on a ship who wanted to gang up on me.

Tijuana? I had 5 men try to "help" me use an ATM machine.

Dennis Quiz time:

Question: What was worse? Michigan, Finland, or Tijuana?
Answer: Michigan - there were 4 thugs in the Camero, only 3 thugs on the ship. The 5 in Tijuana all ran away from me.

En route to Tallinn, Estonia. Jami had my back, but I was the size of the smallest skinhead, so our geese would have been cooked in a fight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In West Hollywood, a Police officer threatened me by offering to let me punch him first so he could, "Treat me a lesson." In Tijuana, I had to hand over my driver's license and in exchange for not having to go to the Police Department, I could hand him $20.

Question: What is worse? Bodily Harm or losing $20 to a crooked cop trying to buy Tamales for his wife to earn Christmas Pesos for gifts for the kids?

Answer: Bodily Harm. I didn't report the police officer, but now that I am older, I would request his badge number, Call Johnny Cochran's office, and sue the city and that officer - his partner too, if he didn't cooperate with the investigation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Colombia, I saw a homeless man raise a chair to a barking dog, and get attacked by 20 men within seconds (in the Fedecafe, Downtown Barranquilla). The worst I have ever seen in Tijuana was open drug use and taggers standing 200 ft. atop a billboard on the International border. (The dog is pictured, and survived the attack).

In Colombia, I saw a crazed drugged out zombie come inside the restaurant I was eating at, and rob the waitress and kitchen staff (pictured).

I had to help temporarily detain the suspect while we searched him for the missing money and identification belonging to the cook. We still don't know where he tucked the Identification. :!: :?:

DENNIS - 1-6-2009 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
In Mid-Michigan, I had to deal with White Supremacists who wanted to mow me down in their Camero.

In International waters off the Republic of Aaland I had to deal with three White Supremacists on a ship who wanted to gang up on me.

En route to Tallinn, Estonia. Jami had my back, but I was the size of the smallest skinhead,

Call Johnny Cochran's office,

As far as your trail of grief is concerned, the only one I have any feelings for is the dog.

My Gawd, Ken. Do all Black people have recurring encounters with those nasty radical racist Whiteys? Seems as though they're out to get you. Wonder why.

By the way....Big news item from the past: Johnny's dead so don't bother leaving a message.

[Edited on 1-7-2009 by DENNIS]

JohnH - 1-6-2009 at 06:55 PM

This introduction of Colombia to this thread is interesting and it's one of the reasons I took the trip. I met some american friends online through a common interest in novelas- They had moved to Bogota- which is one of those places you would say you'd be crazy to visit- and lived there peacefully for four years without incident. I know there is violence in places like Colombia, but the average person just goes about their business untouched by it. Same as in TJ or in Mexico.

[Edited on 1-7-2009 by JohnH]

JohnH - 1-6-2009 at 07:02 PM

Also forgot to mention in my trip report:

On the way home there was one checkpoint just after the tollbooth at the am pm/pemex station near Rosarito. One vehicle was being inspected but everybody else was being let go. The soldier I locked eyes with was very very young- 16-18. Lately I'm avoiding the main border crossing at the 5 freeway and going to Otay Mesa. You no longer enter the 5 crossing like before at the end of the main road that runs along the fence (that comes down the hill going north)- as it's all blocked off with concrete barricades. The line of traffic was already thick at the old entrance and winding backwards into the TJ streets. So went to Otay Mesa and was only there exactly an hour. Customs guy seemed more suspicious than normal and asking more than usual dumb questions, ("has this car crossed here before? " :rolleyes:to try to get me to act nervous or say something stupid. Fat chance guy. Just in Mexico to enjoy it, drink eat and be merry, and am not involved in criminal activities.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2009 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnH
I know there is violence in places like Colombia, but the average person just goes about their business untouched by it. Same as in TJ or in Mexico.

Just like in any large city, you have to be aware, use your common sense, and not large Colombian penguin's assault you. :o :O