BajaNomad

Going to Mulege

Bob H - 1-8-2009 at 12:31 AM

If you were going to be in Mulege in late January for a week, what would you do? I'd be interested in your comments here.
We will be visiting friends who live there with a boat, and they love to fish. Also, places to eat.
Bob H

shari - 1-8-2009 at 08:34 AM

visit mulegemike and marv!

mulege marv - 1-8-2009 at 08:55 AM

Russ - 1-8-2009 at 09:02 AM

Visit the cave paintings

Lauriboats - 1-8-2009 at 09:24 AM

Visit the mission, climb the stairs in the back for great views and pictures. Visit the prison without cell doors. Have fun.

capt. mike - 1-8-2009 at 11:51 AM

go by my old place at Serenidad and tell it i miss it!!:no: you know the one.....we have hoisted a few there and puffed some too!:cool:

and scout around for future deals.
go out by Ray's west of town and see what he is up to, you can hook up there too.
he has some deals on spots leases homes etc i think from my last time out there.

lillian - 1-8-2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
go by my old place at Serenidad and tell it i miss it!!:no: you know the one.....we have hoisted a few there and puffed some too!:cool:

go out by Ray's west of town and see what he is up to, you can hook up there too.
he has some deals on spots leases homes etc i think from my last time out there.

Please,please tell me that you as a pilot do not smoke dope as you reference in the above message. Its bad enough to have to share the road with drunks and druggies while in Baja but to think a druggie is flying the sky is frightening to say the least. God help us all.

Lill

Bob H - 1-8-2009 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lillian
Quote:

Please,please tell me that you as a pilot do not smoke dope as you reference in the above message. Its bad enough to have to share the road with drunks and druggies while in Baja but to think a druggie is flying the sky is frightening to say the least. God help us all.

Lill

Lillian,
Capt. Mike is referring to CIGARS! We both like to smoke fine cigars.
Hope that helps.
Bob H

[Edited on 1-8-2009 by Bob H]

vandenberg - 1-8-2009 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Lillian,
Capt. Mike is referring to CIGARS! We both like to smoke fine cigars.
Hope that helps.
Bob H

[Edited on 1-8-2009 by Bob H]

...."Hoisting"...a cigar is a mean feat.:lol:

Bajahowodd - 1-8-2009 at 01:10 PM

Cigars......right.

Captain Mike gets high.

Dave - 1-8-2009 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lillian

Lill

Literally. ;D

Bob and Susan - 1-8-2009 at 02:00 PM

someone has been doing some "yardwork" under the bridge on the river

take a walk

river1.jpg - 49kB

tripledigitken - 1-8-2009 at 02:04 PM

Bob H,

Some of my favorites for eating out in Mulege (priced from moderate to bargain):

Equipales.......For a real treat try the Sonoran Rib-Eye Steak muy delicious! Seafood also.
Scotty's (old El Candil)........All good, meat, fish and seafood.
Patron's.............Seafood...I especially like their scallop c-cktails. They are literally right on the Sea of Cortez with your feet in the sand!
Saul's Palapa..........Seafood and fish dishes.

Ken

capt. mike - 1-8-2009 at 02:10 PM

My dear Lillian.....give me a break..NO, I DO NOT USE DOPE!!!
When people ask me what i "am on".....i tell them i am ON DUTY!!!
and any certificated pilot who is stupid enough to claim he does get high on a public forum needs to have his ticket taken asap!!

nor do i drink hooch or even so much as take a cold relief capsule if i am at the controls. Hell i don't even smoke puros in the c-ckpit even if i am solo.

since when does "puffing" connote reference to weed, pot, cut, hash, stuff, chite, smoke, ganja or any of the other euphanisms common to the use of the herb superb as Geo. Carlin used to refer to it.

yes i am a product of the 70s in high school and college and am well versed and acquainted with most of what "geting high" was all about then but it has no place in my personal life today - i can get all the legal forms of altered states i choose to imbibe with.
for now i like wine, a little beer if it's hot out and some seegar puffing, although i have cut way back on the puffing.
and every now and then i like a little brandy or vodka or tequila, all in moderation of course!!

now....when do you want to go up for a ride??:O:o:wow::lol::lol::lol:

Bob H - 1-8-2009 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bob H,

Some of my favorites for eating out in Mulege (priced from moderate to bargain):

Equipales.......For a real treat try the Sonoran Rib-Eye Steak muy delicious! Seafood also.
Scotty's (old El Candil)........All good, meat, fish and seafood.
Patron's.............Seafood...I especially like their scallop c-cktails. They are literally right on the Sea of Cortez with your feet in the sand!
Saul's Palapa..........Seafood and fish dishes.

Ken

Thanks Ken, we also love Scotty's who had beer battered, deep fried, lobster chunks with home made dip sauce on the menu at that time... Yummy!
The last time we tried to eat at El Patron it was closed up. We've had margaritas there a few years ago. Has it reopened? Loved the view down there.

We've heard about another place called Eduardos, and that they serve some great Chinese food on Sundays. Have you tried that place and what do you think about it.

Thanks for the info.
Bob H

capt. mike - 1-9-2009 at 09:27 AM

Bob H - - in Pompano we trust.

get with Roger and he'll lead you to all the great comida.

tripledigitken - 1-9-2009 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Bob H - - in Pompano we trust.

get with Roger and he'll lead you to all the great comida.

Bob,

Mike is right Pompano knows his eats in Mulege. I only get down only a couple of times a year. I don't know about Eduardo's but will check it out when we go in March. As far as El Patron I believe someone posted awhile back eating there.

Have fun.

Ken

relax

B_A_J_A_L_O_U - 1-9-2009 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
If you were going to be in Mulege in late January for a week, what would you do? I'd be interested in your comments here.
We will be visiting friends who live there with a boat, and they love to fish. Also, places to eat.
Bob H
One of the many things you can do is grab a couple of these and enjoy the calmness of the Mar de Cortez

Copy of viewthread.jpg - 36kB

Bob H - 1-9-2009 at 07:54 PM

That's the best look'n Ballenas I've ever seen! Makes one sweat with thirst! Can't wait....
Bob H

David K - 1-9-2009 at 11:51 PM

Bob, If I was in the area and you could get me off that awesome beach at El Requeson...

I would check out the Concepcion peninsula... go up to the manganese mine at the northeast point... see the petroglyph canyon that Erle Stanley Gardner's group saw in 1966 (in Off the Beaten Track in Baja).

There are also petroglyphs above El Coyote, near Hwy. 1...

Walk around the mission and get this Hawaiian view, in Baja!

Then have a dinner at El Patron!

[Edited on 1-10-2009 by David K]

Russ - 1-10-2009 at 07:13 AM

Today, this afternoon I'm going to play tourist in Mulege. When I go to town I'm usually finished with my "to do" list by 10am or so and Scotty's wasn't open. Everyone has been telling me how good the restaurant is so today I'm going to find out and have an early dinner there. More later:D

Bob H - 1-10-2009 at 11:27 AM

Last time in Mulege.... can't wait to get back... Bob H

Scotty's El Candil

roundtuit - 1-10-2009 at 03:30 PM

Subject to change but never for worst;D;D;D

bajamedic - 1-10-2009 at 03:53 PM

:spingrin:

Scotty's

Russ - 1-10-2009 at 07:15 PM

I'm going back. Great food, service & drinks. My friend John eat TWO burgers!

Those french fries are soooo good!

rogerj1 - 1-12-2009 at 12:32 AM

That food and the beach looks incredible! I wonder if anyone would notice if I just disappeared for a couple of weeks? Reality Bites!

David K - 1-12-2009 at 09:06 AM

Do it Roger!

Bob H - 1-12-2009 at 11:48 AM

Wonderful photos... can't wait to get there.... Bob H

Beachgirl - 1-12-2009 at 12:03 PM

If the wind isnt blowing you should fish with Mateo; he's the guru here...he lives at the mouth of the river and is one fine pescadore!...and a fine man to boot!

Martyman - 1-12-2009 at 12:39 PM

Read a book, drink a little reposado and don't hang out with Lillian (too uptight)

BajaGringo - 1-12-2009 at 12:49 PM

Based on the second photo of the menu I can see the prices are up. Business must be good...

BajaNomad - 1-12-2009 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
The last time we tried to eat at El Patron it was closed up. We've had margaritas there a few years ago. Has it reopened? Loved the view down there.
Bob, El Patron was open when we drove by on Saturday, January 3rd.

P1030178_opt.jpg - 34kB

Cypress - 1-12-2009 at 01:23 PM

You have to drive right past Poncho's to get to Patron's.:D Poncho's will serve up some good muncho's.:D

beachbum1A - 1-12-2009 at 08:25 PM

Go to their local cemetary, walk around and look at all the old tombstones. Take some pictures!
Not at night though. hahaha

El Panteon

Mulegena - 1-12-2009 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
Go to their local cemetary, walk around and look at all the old tombstones. Take some pictures!
Not at night though. hahaha

A friend of mine used to live in a house right next to the cemetery. She said one night she was outside and a man came up out of the darkness and walked through her yard without speaking. She did not know him and thought it very odd that he was dressed in an old black suit. Creepy... but kinda fun!!! ;D

Bajahowodd - 1-12-2009 at 11:20 PM

Russ-
Just so I can sleep at, please tall Scotty that it's tartar Sauce; not tarter.

Sharksbaja - 1-12-2009 at 11:21 PM

That was probably Adolpho.:wow:

edit to add::wow:

[Edited on 1-13-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Phil S - 1-13-2009 at 07:15 AM

Probably was Capt. Mike on one of his 'evening' adventures. Though a bit of a walk from Serenidad.

Bob H - 1-13-2009 at 07:44 AM

Where is the graveyard?
Bob H

Mulegena - 1-14-2009 at 03:55 AM

Quote:
Where is the graveyard?
Bob H

El Panteon is up a canyon accessed by turning left up the street by Saul's Market...
the street dead-ends at the cemetery.

Bob and Susan - 1-14-2009 at 09:40 AM

that street is ONE-WAY
if you get a ticket dont whine:P

David K - 1-14-2009 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Where is the graveyard?
Bob H

This is some of the cemetery at the mission:

David K - 1-14-2009 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Bob, El Patron was open when we drove by on Saturday, January 3rd.

I hope it still is, too... That place was incredible! A Jimmy Buffet designed restaurant if there ever was one!

The view from our table!

Cypress - 1-14-2009 at 10:56 AM

There's an old cemetery back in the hills about 2 miles north of the river behind Don Chano's. Very old. No road to it, just a foot path. One marker has the date 1860 something. Only about 6 or 8 graves, may have been a family cemetery.

Mulegena - 1-14-2009 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
There's an old cemetery back in the hills about 2 miles north of the river behind Don Chano's. Very old. No road to it, just a foot path. One marker has the date 1860 something. Only about 6 or 8 graves, may have been a family cemetery.
Wow, Cool!! Didn't know that.
That arroyo-canyon is my favorite close-by getaway place for solitude, birds and the gorgeous red-rock canyon walls. Never have seen the little cemetery...
I'll ask the creepy guy in the tattered black suit for directions.:P

ha!!

capt. mike - 1-14-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Probably was Capt. Mike on one of his 'evening' adventures. Though a bit of a walk from Serenidad.

how DID you know, Phil!!

i am Dark Man!!

El Patron's Restaurant and Sea Lounge

Mulegena - 1-14-2009 at 05:04 PM

"That place was incredible! A Jimmy
Buffet designed restaurant if there ever was one!" David K

Abso-Baja-lutely!!!

It gets a 5-Star rating for Baja Kick-Back Funky. :cool::dudette:

Its our favorite place for a late afternoon beverage-by-the sea and to applause the fullmoon floorshow as it sparkles the water on Bahia Concepcion.

[Edited on 1-15-2009 by Mulegena]

Bob H - 1-14-2009 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
"That place was incredible! A Jimmy
Buffet designed restaurant if there ever was one!" David K

Abso-Baja-lutely!!!

It gets a 5-Star rating for Baja Kick-Back Funky. :cool::dudette:

Its our favorite place for a late afternoon beverage-by-the sea and to applause the fullmoon floorshow as it sparkles the water on Bahia Concepcion.

[Edited on 1-15-2009 by Mulegena]

Had a couple of great margaritas there a couple of yeas ago. Their is another place along the road to Patrons that also had some great "pineapple" margies.... wonderful place.

Can't wait to get down there next Wednesday!
Bob H

Bob H - 1-17-2009 at 01:53 PM

Wow, we are packing the camper this weekend and will head down to Mulege on Wednesday... that's only four days away!!

Looked up the weather report on accuweather.com and it looks great .... warm days and cool nights, very little wind!

Will be at Jungla Jims on Thursday night with our friends Bob and T..... can't wait.

Bob H (and Audrey and our dog Luke!)