BajaNomad

Baja Trip

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 02:55 PM

Well, I'll let the pics speak for themselves for the most part. Only a few hours in and I need a heater hose.

Coco's

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 03:02 PM

A night at Kiki's on our way home

We have around 200 pics of the trip, but you get the idea.

[Edited on 1-12-2009 by DeMinimis]

Sunman - 1-12-2009 at 03:35 PM

Nice pics. Always wondered what the yurts were like in San Ignacio. Nice water crossing pic too!

Packoderm - 1-12-2009 at 03:41 PM

I've always wondered what it's like to camp in such a deluxe van.

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 03:42 PM

The one night in the yurts was the only night we slept in a real bed the whole trip. Here's an inside shot. Very nice place.

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I've always wondered what it's like to camp in such a deluxe van.

With enough beer, you can sleep on sharp rocks. However, the sleep'n was good up top (more room).

Paulina - 1-12-2009 at 04:13 PM

Those Sportmobiles sure are nice. I almost had one once, but only got the trailer that went along with it.
Great photos, thanks!

P<*)))>{

David K - 1-12-2009 at 04:54 PM

I like the 'Don't Send Help' message on the beach!

BajaGringo - 1-12-2009 at 05:00 PM

Great story via the photos - thanks!!!

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 05:09 PM

Think I may have seen Diver's name on the registry at that RV/Restraunt/Bar in Guerro Negro too. No, didn't take a picutre of the registry. Diver, if that was in fact you, your secret identity is safe.

DeMinimis - 1-12-2009 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I like the 'Don't Send Help' message on the beach!

That was a Baloga (sp?) on Gonzaga Bay. Stayed there going down and stayed there a few days heading up. We were the only ones there the whole time with the exception of one night where a couple pulled in after dark and split the following AM. Things are definately quite down there these days. Went through many campos on this trip and the story was the same over and over again. Sort of like a virus swept in and everyone had simply vanished silimilar to the story line in The Andromeda Strain.

David K - 1-12-2009 at 05:32 PM

Campo Beluga... we camped there once in Feb. 2007... Very nice!

DianaT - 1-12-2009 at 06:06 PM

Nice, very nice photos and looks like a great trip. We thought about one of those Sportsmobiles---it reminds us of our old VW vans, only better.

Thanks for sharing these, and wouldn't mind, or let me put it this way, I would really like to see more of your photos.

Diane

BAJACAT - 1-12-2009 at 07:44 PM

Way cool thanks for reporting back ,Gonzaga Bay one of my Favorite places in baja

Skipjack Joe - 1-12-2009 at 08:45 PM

The gas station attendant told us to make a left at VERUGA road.

larry - 1-13-2009 at 02:49 PM

I agree with Bajacat--Gonzaga, one of my favorite places in Baja. Had a similar experience to DeMinimis in November at Beluga. I was there for 6 nights and there was one other couple there. Manuel, the manager said that there was no one at all there in either September or October. On previous trips in December, it was the same.

People don't know what they are missing!

DeMinimis - 1-13-2009 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larry

Psst, let's not tell them.;)

Actually, this is our frist trip down there where we spent a fair amount of time north of BCS. It rocked. Great people all around, mellow, etc. I'm so ready to head back down.

Ken Cooke - 1-13-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larry

Beluga had dog poop all over the beach, and during Baja Grande in November, half of our group split with Rancho Grande for better beach camping sans dog poop on the shoreline.

While I liked the better facilities, the guys camping at Rancho Grande preferred the great fishing opportunities.

DeMinimis - 1-13-2009 at 09:20 PM

No poop when we were there. Liked having flush toilets and cold showers close by. Liked the beach at Rancho Grande better though. Its all good.

Ken Cooke - 1-13-2009 at 09:43 PM

Its good that the beach was cleaned up. I thought Beluga was excellent for camping. The showers made up for the condition of the beach.

Fatboy - 1-13-2009 at 10:16 PM

Agree with David K, thst message in the sand was FUNNY!!!

Thanks for the Pictures

DeMinimis - 1-13-2009 at 10:25 PM

Thanks. You'd be amazed how long that took with beers in hand. I think it took three beers to complete, but then it was too dark to shoot. Tide came over it and was still intact the following day.

David K - 1-14-2009 at 09:31 AM

Great to measure work by the number of beers consumed!

"Oh, yah... that there is a 3 Pacifico installation" :lol:

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Those Sportmobiles sure are nice. I almost had one once, but only got the trailer that went along with it.
Great photos, thanks!

P<*)))>{

Wanna get rid of the trailer???

Ken Bondy - 1-14-2009 at 01:22 PM

Wonderful photo story DeMinimis!! Please post the rest of the 200.

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 01:52 PM

The shots are now on my slow lap top. Many of the shots are like this:

and this

Trip had a theme: Glad I Took two Years of Engine Mechanics in high School

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 01:54 PM

Here's a gem I forgot to post.

A nice BLA shot by my buddy:

[Edited on 1-14-2009 by DeMinimis]

DianaT - 1-14-2009 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimis
The shots are now on my slow lap top. Many of the shots are like this:

Those are the photos for which it is often a good thing that they don't come with sound. :lol::lol:

When you can, do post more---fun and not so fun ones.

Diane

BajaGringo - 1-14-2009 at 03:04 PM

Anyone who has spent much time traveling back roads can relate to those "occasional" experiences of breaking down. The first time can be scary but after you have been through it you learn to prepare and just take it in stride when it happens.

I always say, "what's the worst that could happen"???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 04:13 PM

Will do. Be warned, some may show my bald spot and/or suggest I have love handles. Nothing like a photo to let you know, its time to cut back on the fried foods and potato chips.

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 04:41 PM

Here are a couple more. Will have to upload and host some more later. Keep in mind, much of the purpose of this trip was related to the off-raoding aspect of Baja, specifically, in a Sportsmobile, so, as you have noticed, most every shot has the Sporty in it somewhere. I'm obsessed, but not as obsessed as these pictures might suggest.

[Edited on 1-14-2009 by DeMinimis]

Skipjack Joe - 1-14-2009 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Here's a gem I forgot to post.

You're right. That is a gem.

'Has the baja mood written all over it.

DeMinimis - 1-14-2009 at 05:11 PM

Shot that one while driving, camera out the window with my left hand. Took maybe ten shots, and only got this one (rough road).

Quiz time: How many different types of cactus are in the above picture??

Ken Cooke - 1-14-2009 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimisQuiz time: How many different types of cactus are in the above picture??

I only see one. The rest appear to be of the Yucca family.

David K - 1-15-2009 at 11:36 AM

Cardon and Cirio (boojum tree) I can make out and if Ken says the Yucca Tree can't be counted, then I guess not that one!:biggrin:

Barry A. - 1-15-2009 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Its good that the beach was cleaned up. I thought Beluga was excellent for camping. The showers made up for the condition of the beach.

Ken-----Have you tried the 3 gal size "sun shower"? It really works well-----I always use one after dark (so I don't offend :o) and with a little "camp suds" you get totally clean. I hang it from a special hook that sticks up from the roof of my rig, and use a thin rubber mat to stand on so I don't get sandy----3 gals is more than enough to wash hair and body. When by the sea, you can do this after jumping in the surf, too.

Works for me----(I don need no stinkin "shower house").

Barry

DeMinimis - 1-15-2009 at 12:03 PM

I know you asked Ken this, but we bought a single burner Zodi for this trip (approx $100 at Wal-Hell). That worked great. We had a five or six gal sun shower (the off-brand that they have at Wal-Hell) that never made it out of the box.

Barry A. - 1-15-2009 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
I know you asked Ken this, but we bought a single burner Zodi for this trip (approx $100 at Wal-Hell). That worked great. We had a five or six gal sun shower (the off-brand that they have at Wal-Hell) that never made it out of the box.

I always found the "5 gal." sunshower too bloody awkward and heavy, so am not surprised. The 3 gal. size is ideal, from my perspective. I leave it full on top of my vehicle all the time while traveling in Baja, in a kitty-litter box which is tied down----when stopped the sun warms it nicely.

I have heard those fancy showers you speak of are really nice, tho. Never tried one.

Barry

DeMinimis - 1-15-2009 at 12:40 PM

Ok, let's bury a Zodi review in here: I wasn't sure if I'd like the Zodi or not, but here's a quick run-down on it. Runs on 4 "D" batts and a disposable bottle of propane. It comes in a small nylon carrying case (that you can actually get everything back into when you are done with it). The pump is too big to fit into a gerry can's opening, which was a real bummer. We used a large pot. Filled it with ice-cold water, put the pump in, and put the shower head in the water so the water would recirculate. Started up the pump, then the burner (electric ignition). Didn't take long for the water in the large pot to start warming. Once it did, then would use the shower as the shower was now heating partially warmed water. I like my showers hot. Temp did not vary wildly like I expected. The pre-heating the water in the pot is not needed for a nice warm shower. For $100, it worked great and took care of the shower needs for 4. They have a double burner model, but I can't see why, now that I've used the single burner model. I've read complaints of whimpy hoses, etc., but all seemed fine to me. Again, if I could change anything, it would be a pump that you can drop into a gerry can (that and a 12v accessory plug option so as to avoid the 4 "D" batts needed to run the pump and ignition). I plan on installing a flat plate heater in our van eventually, but the Zodi filled the bill for this trip.

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2009 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
.. 3 gals is more than enough to wash hair and body....

I wish they'd come over and help me with mine.

... I think I've got too much free time this morning.

Barry A. - 1-15-2009 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
.. 3 gals is more than enough to wash hair and body....

I wish they'd come over and help me with mine.

... I think I've got too much free time this morning.

:o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 1-15-2009 at 07:13 PM

I have used the 3 gal water bag showers in the past. But, when traveling with large groups, privacy can be a challenge. :o

DeMinimis - 2-4-2009 at 10:13 AM

A couple more:

Here is the fabled Green Door trail (north entrance). Looks like someone made off with the door:

Here's a shot inside the church in San Ignacio. My kids were complaining that their skin was burning while in there:

Being a Bug owner, I rather liked this one near Gonazga Bay: