BajaNomad

New method of smoking fish!

shari - 1-13-2009 at 09:16 AM

We just got a new smoker and have had lots of good advice on how to smoke fish but Mr.Redmesa came up with the best way for sure....gotta light bud.

BMG - 1-13-2009 at 09:52 AM

I think that's illegal in most of the U.S. Not sure about Mexico.

Iflyfish - 1-13-2009 at 10:30 AM

I use salt and brown sugar only and light smoke. Fillet fish, cover fillets with brown sugar/salt mixture. Let stand till sugar/salt melts and glazes fillets. Then smoke till opaque.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or if you are just sharing your experience with bud light. Or if your experience is like mine in that it is hard to keep them lit when smoking them.

Iflyfishwhennotsmokingfish

mulegemichael - 1-13-2009 at 10:46 AM

i do the same as iflyfish but add garlic powder to the fillets before putting on the sugar/salt mixture...i use a 5-1 sugar to salt mixture...no water...let the fillets with the mixture on them sit overnight then rinse off the next morning, let them air dry on newspaper for 30 minutes or so then pop them in the smoker...the air dry forms a glaze or "pellical" on the fish.....sometimes is fun to sprinkle coarse ground pepper on the fillets before smoking them also..

Sharksbaja - 1-13-2009 at 11:58 AM

Might help if he lit the right end.:lol:

Martyman - 1-13-2009 at 12:53 PM

Do you soak the wood in water overnight too? My last smoking adventure turned into a fish burning. We tried to use a makeshift smoker that was not airtight or adjustable. What is the proper way to fire one up?

msteve1014 - 1-13-2009 at 01:05 PM

( What is the proper way to fire one up.)

First, you dont light the end with the filter on it, like the guy in the picture........

[Edited on 1-13-2009 by msteve1014]

vandenberg - 1-13-2009 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Do you soak the wood in water overnight too? My last smoking adventure turned into a fish burning. We tried to use a makeshift smoker that was not airtight or adjustable. What is the proper way to fire one up?

You can make a smoker out of about anything. Years ago, made one out of an old kitchen cabinet. Just drilled some holes in the side (top), used a hotplate with a small cast iron skillet for the chips. Yes, soak the chips and I usually used half soaked and half dry chips. Of course having electricity makes the process a lot simpler then having to fool with charcoal.:P
As far as the flavoring is concerned, I've pretty much tried them all and find the wetbrine giving the best result and flavor. But , to each his own.

Also, oily fish smoke better, tastier, then anything.
Best fish I ever smoked were kokanee (landlocked salmon) around 12 to 15 inches. Better then lobster.

[Edited on 1-13-2009 by vandenberg]

Iflyfish - 1-13-2009 at 02:58 PM

Oh, there is a joke in the pic....dah! Good one!

Iflyfish

mulegemichael - 1-13-2009 at 03:27 PM

we use an old stainless reefer...gut it, take out all the insulation...hang 10 oven shelves in it...an old cake pan in the bottom with a handful of charcoal briquets is the fire, a big ol chunk of green alder is the smoke...GREEN being the key here as it doesnt burst into flames; just smokes and smolders

BajaGringo - 1-13-2009 at 05:26 PM

Is it on the DEA's controlled substance list???

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pescador - 1-13-2009 at 09:03 PM

I heard that yellowtail were good to smoke but I had to get a big blowtorch to get that sucker smoking, and for paper, the usual cigarette papers were just not big enough, so we tried newspaper, but it got soggy and we ended up with plastic wrapped butcher paper.
I don't think I got high but I sure had an overpowering desire to fertilize some eggs on the kelp.

Sharksbaja - 1-14-2009 at 03:58 AM

If you like garlic I suggest using it fresh squeezed added to the dry brine sugar mix. In my opinion and experience there is only one place for granulated or powdered garlic and it's not on food.:tumble: If you ever wondered why that person smells like garlic so much the odds are they used one or the other.

Remember also that the type of wood you use can add fantastic flavor to smoked foods.

That "pellicle" is an unintended bonus we used to see a lot of in Baja 40 years ago. :lol:

I agree Michael oily skins can be unappetizing to some but others love it. It's where all those added flavors are. As a child I would eat the skin of scaled fish. I still don't mind it on tuna spp.

Russ - 1-14-2009 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
we use an old stainless reefer...gut it, take out all the insulation...hang 10 oven shelves in it...an old cake pan in the bottom with a handful of charcoal briquets is the fire, a big ol chunk of green alder is the smoke...GREEN being the key here as it doesnt burst into flames; just smokes and smolders

Perfect for salmon! When I lived on the Hood Canel I'd cook my salmon with alder by cutting an alder branch and stuffing it over the coals and close the lid. Nice memories, thanks.