BajaNomad

Shimano Torium 30 issue

Santiago - 1-15-2009 at 07:11 AM

I have run into an issue I'm wondering if I can fix without sending the reel in for repair: Shimano Torium 30 with 50# braid and a topshot of 50# mono. We were jigging for yellowtail that were right on the bottom so we had the drags hammered down pretty tight. I had a yellowtail on in the 25# range. During one of the earlier runs the drags started letting out line and then the handle went in reverse - started turning backwards very suddenly and fast - I didn't have my hand on the handle at the time and it nearly broke my thumbnail when it hit. For the rest of the trip it would happen every time a large fish would run and I had to always have my hand on the handle to keep it from reversing when the drags would let line out.
Isn't there a dog somewhere that keeps the gears from going backwards?

You're not the only one

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2009 at 11:40 AM

Anti reverse fails when drag is cranked down. Read:

Anyhoo in -
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f257/your-thoughts-torium-30-a-35638.html

Bellyup in -
http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/toriums-vs-saltists-110/

I've never had that problem with mine. But I never crank it down that far anyway.

Pescador - 1-15-2009 at 01:17 PM

This is my biggest complaint about Torium reels and the same exact thing happens with Trinidads. It is very easy to replace the Anti Reverse Pawls on this reel and since I still have one of these pieces of cr..., I still carry a few in my reel repair tackle box. Shimano has really dropped the ball on these reels and the Torium, Tekota, and Trinidad all have this built in weakness. Actually, it does not always happen when the drag is cranked down to excess levels, it happens when you are trying to reel and the fish gives a tug or strong pull and the pawl is partly lifted and when it slams back, it shears off and you get smacked.
I have begun replacing all of my Shimano reels with Avets and as far as I am concerned, I should have done this long ago, as they are simply superior.
Skipjack is right and it has been all over the forums at allcoast.com as well as bloodydecks.com.

tunaeater - 1-15-2009 at 03:33 PM

It happened to me on a blue marlin fishing a TLD 25, from a panga. I meet some Shimano reps down here dove hunting and they took care of me. Sounds like this maybe too common.

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2009 at 04:13 PM

How did they help you?

If there is a spare part that we should carry it would be nice to know as this sort of thing could sour a fishing vacation.

Santiago - 1-16-2009 at 06:52 AM

Thanks guys.
I took the reel apart and replaced the anti-reverse bearing and the dog. The dog was not sheared off, but the 2 small pieces of metal that grab the gear and force the dog down were too wide and not touching the gear. There was a ton of grease all over the anti-reverse bearing that the repair shop said probably helped cause it to fail. I posted this on Allcoast and got similar advise. They gave me the pawl but charged $28 for the bearing, part only. I put it all back together and only had 2 parts left over.:lol:
Let's see......put more money in my 401k or buy a bunch of Avets - gee, that's a tough one.....

Pescador - 1-16-2009 at 09:13 AM

Yeah, the Avets will increase in value a lot faster than the 401K.