BajaNomad

Rods and Reels, the states or Baja?

AspenMeadowRanch - 1-15-2009 at 10:43 AM

I will be updating some rods and reels.Should I purchase them here in the States or down in Baja?
Have a good day
John

mulegemichael - 1-15-2009 at 10:45 AM

expect to pay a TON more down here in baja...get any and all gear and tackle you think you'll need up north

BajaGringo - 1-15-2009 at 11:55 AM

Definitely buy up north. I am always asked to buy gear for folks here down south...

DianaT - 1-15-2009 at 11:58 AM

Also, if you ask what people are using in different areas for different fish, they will be happy to tell you things like which rapela is working best.

Don't forget to get a Mexican fishing license and if you are bringing a boat, you also need papers for that.

Diane

bill erhardt - 1-15-2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

Don't forget to get a Mexican fishing license and if you are bringing a boat, you also need papers for that.

Diane

Annual Mexican boat registration is no longer required for boats registered in the U.S. The U.S. registration is all that is required for U.S. boaters in Baja waters.

BajaGringo - 1-15-2009 at 12:38 PM

The word on the street (or water...) is that Mexico is going step up enforcement of fishing licenses along the more popular fishing spots. Up until now I have never once been asked to show mine...

biglar - 1-15-2009 at 12:42 PM

I have quite a bit of very nice tackle I'd like to get rid of. Is it within forum rules to start a thread listing it ??

BajaGringo - 1-15-2009 at 12:47 PM

Yes it is against the rules. DO NOT POST IT!!!

Instead just send it to me privately via u2u and we'll work it out...

:lol::lol::lol:

Pescador - 1-15-2009 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by biglar
I have quite a bit of very nice tackle I'd like to get rid of. Is it within forum rules to start a thread listing it ??

Put it in the classified section on this site.

flyfishinPam - 1-15-2009 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:

Diane

Annual Mexican boat registration is no longer required for boats registered in the U.S. The U.S. registration is all that is required for U.S. boaters in Baja waters.

this is also the case for Mexican registered boats for sport fishing.

Timo1 - 1-15-2009 at 01:15 PM

uh HUMMMMM!!!!!
Biglar
I would love to see what you have

wilderone - 1-16-2009 at 10:27 AM

biglar - the rules are you have to clear it with me first. U2U me with what you have.

BajaGringo - 1-16-2009 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
biglar - the rules are you have to clear it with me first. U2U me with what you have.

HEY!!! That was my line...

dtbushpilot - 1-16-2009 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

HEY!!! That was my line...

Better yet, send all of your gear to me, I will look it over, determine what it's worth and send you a check.........dt

DianaT - 1-16-2009 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:

Diane

this is also the case for Mexican registered boats for sport fishing.

That is good to know. Thanks

TonyC - 2-25-2009 at 07:35 AM

Don't forget fishing or not, if you have fishing gear on the boat everyone on the boat has to have a license.

Osprey - 2-25-2009 at 08:46 AM

Biglar, don't you know about the Osprey's Fishing Gear Appraisal Service? I have special rates for spring break. My certified appraisals will be for fair market value U.S., fair market value in Baja, my best offer, 84 of my neighbors. I also have a private marine conservation group (I'm the President) and if you donate the gear I can get you a whopping receipt for the tax man. You'll actually make more money on the gear than your original purchase price. Now that's a deal!

biglar - 2-25-2009 at 09:08 AM

I had completely forgotten about this thread. A local guy has been jerking me around about the gear and I got sidetracked.

I have 15 rod/reel combinations from a little Fenwick pack rod with Shimano spinning reel loaded with 2# line that I used for high mountain trout, clear thru a full roller guide Sabre rod with Shimano 50W lever drag loaded with 80# test........and everything in between. All good tackle, and much of it is premium tackle. I've made a llist on Excel with some prices that I looked up.

Email me for that list at: biglar-at-gogittum.com.....2 t's in gogittum. I'd like to see $700.00 for it, and the Sabre rod alone sells for $450.00 now. Good deal for someone.

Lar.+