BajaNomad

mulege fishing report today

mulegemichael - 1-21-2009 at 02:16 PM

We were on the water this morning in the predawn hours and tried for about 45 minutes for live bait with no luck. It seems the bait has just disappeared over the last week or so in our usual and accustomed places. So, as the sun popped up over the horizon we headed south, around Punta Concepcion and down the outside.

We first stopped at one of our favorite spots in about 230 feet of water and over the side went our assortment of jigs. We moved a couple of times before finding the fish in 215 feet. A triple hookup of Huichinango really made it look like it was gonna be a fine day...however, we couldn't find them again and had to settle for quite a few pinto bass over the period of an hour or so.

We wanted to try out our new toy, an underwater camera, so we cruised into shallower water, started jigging, and lowered the camera to the bottom. Because of the low light conditions and quite a bit of particulates in the water, the visibility was fairly tough...we DID see fish tho so look forward to a day when the sun is high and the water is calm.

we jigged up a couple of unknown fish, and a Tilefish and decided to troll toward home as the low tides would keep us from getting the boat out if we waited too long. It wasn't too long before a hungry Cabrilla munched on one of our Rapalas. We then, in quick succession, caught two amberjack on Rapalas also.

We had to pick up and run toward the river mouth then and just as we were we spotted dozens of fish boiling but couldn't stop because of time constraints. By the time we got back to the launch we BARELY got the boat out. All in all, 9 species brought to the boat....not a bad day on the water.

Russ - 1-21-2009 at 02:45 PM

Thanks for the report. Always nice to know that's going on in the neighborhood.

Cypress - 1-21-2009 at 03:24 PM

Need to get one of those underwater cameras if I ever go fishing again down in that area.:tumble:

Pescador - 1-22-2009 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Need to get one of those underwater cameras if I ever go fishing again down in that area.:tumble:

Geez, Cypress, you will need to preload it with fish pictures since there are no fish around anyway.:lol::lol::lol:

Cypress - 1-22-2009 at 11:11 AM

Pescador, Yea, go ahead and rub it in!!!:lol:

bajabass - 1-22-2009 at 01:10 PM

Did you catch all the fish Pescador? Please leave 1 or 2 for us poor people stuck up here!! :(

Skipjack Joe - 1-22-2009 at 03:40 PM

Jim,

Several years ago I used to fish with a couple of guys, Jim and Burt, here in Half Moon Bay for rockfish. Burt was younger and a much better fishermen than Jim. Sometimes when Burt would hoist the fish in over the side of the boat he would show them to Jim.

I can remember Jim's response as though it were yesterday:

"Rub it in, why don't you".

Lauriboats - 1-22-2009 at 05:07 PM

Thanks for the great report.
Do you have any information about the yellow tail tournament in Mulege next week?

mulegemichael - 1-23-2009 at 07:56 AM

Go to www.mulegefishingtournaments.com for any and all info

nope

mulege marv - 1-24-2009 at 06:42 AM

that web site has been canceled