BajaNomad

Handicapped Fishing

BirdDog - 1-29-2009 at 04:07 PM

Wanted to bring my dad down this summer and take him out fishing. We'll probably fly into La Paz and head north to Asuncion from there. My dad is in a wheelchair and was hoping to find out if anyone knew of any boats equipped for disabled people. I have been on bajaenterprises.com and was wondering if anyone knew of anyone else. Thanks and Good fishing

Pescador - 1-29-2009 at 06:45 PM

I would contact David Jones of Fishermens Fleet and I am sure that he can help you set everything up. As far as Asuncion, Juan, Shari's husband should be able to get you in the front of the panga allright.
I have a friend who comes down from BC and we have no problem putting him in the front of the boat with his chair and he has brought in some monster yellowtail. The only problem we noticed was that it did not work well for him to pull to the side or 90 degrees to his body but a soon as I learned to keep the fish in front of him he did great.
David Jones email is http://www.fishermensfleet.com

boe4fun - 1-29-2009 at 06:48 PM

There is a quadraplegic in or near Los Barriles who has rigged his boat to accommodate wheelchair bound patients. Try Google for more info.

4baja - 1-29-2009 at 07:08 PM

boe4fun is right. contact western outdoor news who wrote a article about him a few months ago. he has a b-tchin boat and is handicapped as well and you will have a blast. i think gary graham wrote the article.

shari - 1-29-2009 at 07:31 PM

we have already been trying to figure out a system of "chocks" for the chair...we'll get it rigged up for him...no sweat...cant wait to meet the man. It will be great to get some ideas.

BirdDog - 1-29-2009 at 07:47 PM

I guess I should've said that I already knew it wouldn't be a problem with Juan in Asuncion. Thanks for the info. I have already contacted the guy that boe4fun is talking about. Awesome looking boat. Just wondering if there were other options that people have used. My dad is pretty good at doing all kinds of things so I know it will work out and we will have a blast.