BajaNomad

Knot Failure

Santiago - 2-12-2009 at 08:48 PM

I had a knot separate where the top shot of #50 mono was tied to 50# braid, not hollow, on a 25# or there-abouts yellowtail. (For those of you not from Bakersfield, 'there-abouts' means 'pernt-near'.)
To be honest, I don't remember the type of knot but was probably an albright but might have been a uni-to-uni with the braid doubled. I did not use any super-glue or similar and probably had about 20 fishing days on this knot over about 1 year.
My question is this - how often should the topshot be retied to the braid?

[Edited on 2-13-2009 by Santiago]

Frank - 2-12-2009 at 08:57 PM

How long is your top shot? I change my long top shots out every year, the short ones {3-4 feet} every trip.

My long top shots are connected by a 23 turn Bimini twist in the spectra and a reverse albright mono connection.

The Pena knot {Tony Pena is a outdoor writer} has worked so far on my shorter top shots

http://www.frenzytackle.com/tips/pena.htm

Santiago - 2-12-2009 at 09:05 PM

Top shot is about 50'. Why 23 turns in the bimini - seems an unusual number to stop at?

Diver - 2-12-2009 at 09:11 PM

Here is a great site for learning most knots;

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?LogoImage=Log...

Frank - 2-12-2009 at 09:22 PM

50 feet is going through the guides every fish and everytime you drop down, thats a lot of wear on the knot. I went full spectra with a short top shot so I could cast without the knot getting hung up in the guides.

My long top shots are about 100 yards and are on my 2 speeds. The number 23 is as high as I can count until my ADD sets in :biggrin:

12 turn Bimini's slipin spectra, 30-40 turns makes for a longer knot, so I just use 23.

BajaGringo - 2-12-2009 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Here is a great site for learning most knots;

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?LogoImage=Log...

I love that website. Being able to slow it down has helped me learn a couple of great knots there...

fishbuck - 2-12-2009 at 09:28 PM

Why bother with a topshot. If you had straight 50lb mono you would have that 25lb yellowtail no problem.
Everytime you add a knot your add another place for you line to fail.

[Edited on 2-13-2009 by fishbuck]

Skipjack Joe - 2-12-2009 at 09:29 PM

Was there a curly-cue at the end of the line where it separated or a clean break?

Santiago - 2-12-2009 at 09:44 PM

No curly - the knot did not slip - in fact - it sounded like a 22 long rifle going off.

fishbuck - 2-12-2009 at 09:47 PM

It sounds like the knot P-nched the line an made a weak spot. It probably broke right above the knot.

Frank - 2-12-2009 at 09:50 PM

I didnt care much for spectra for a long time also. I started using it for rockcod fishing, you can drop down faster, use less weight and feel every bite. 300 feet no problem with a Salas 6x jr.

Calico bass fishing in heavy cover, spectra is a kelp cutter.

These little reels show up with huge drags {Avet Sx}. The only way to get the line capacity up is with the smaller diameter spectra. 45# Yellowfin on a reel that fits in the palm of your hand.
You have got to try it out.

Pescador - 2-13-2009 at 09:00 AM

Sportfishing magazine did a long article on knots connecting spectra and monofilament and their findings (backed up by lots of testing and keeping very accurate records) are that a 7 turn Bristol connected to a 12 turn Bimini is the strongest combination and will actually increase breaking strength of the lines you start with. We use 80 lb line with 60 lb mono and this knot has proven really strong with big yellowtail at San Marcos Island.
I have gone to Jerry Brown hollow spectra and thread the mono in the center for 5 feet and think it makes a much smoother connection.

Santiago - 2-13-2009 at 09:05 AM

Pescador: I was thinking of going to the hollow on my next spooling - hopefully the market will recover somewhat before then, heh. In the mean time - is the Bristol on the spectra?
thanks

flyfishinPam - 2-13-2009 at 10:01 AM

if that braid is spectra then double the line then make a strong bimini loop. your resulting loop will be a double line-d spectra loop. but if that's regular 50 pound braid just make the bimini with the single line.

make another bimini in the mono.

then connect both loop to loop and make sure the loops lie straight if you know what I mean. supposedly this is a 100% connection or darned close to it.

if you don't know how to make a bimini buy this book "Practical fishing knots" by Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh. Take some 30 pound braid (not spectra) and practice, practice, practice tyeing that bimini, then practice on mono. you'll get the motions you need down pat, while practicing the knot on the dacron braid because its an easy material to work with. this is how I instruct the making of this knot with first timers who want to learn rigging, mono is more difficult and fluoro is real difficult comparatively but can be done.

once you can make that knot in 5 foot swells without looking (just kiddin'), then try this knot with the double line of spectra, yes it can be done. the bimini is one of the most useful knot/loops there is and with practice its very simple to tie.

for yellowtail I prefer to use 50# mono tied to an 80# leader. we'll lighten those lines as the fish start to come up the water column but we don't use any braid at all. but that's just us.

now back to work!

Don Alley - 2-13-2009 at 12:51 PM

I use the uni to uni only on connections with 30lb or less mono.

For others, I tie a bimini in the spectra. I use short topshots on my heavier (50-60lb) outfits. I splice a loop in a section of hollow spectra, and run the topshot 5 feet into the hollow spectra and finish it with served 30lb spectra. Then a drop of zap a gap or Jerry Brown adhesive. Topshots like these can be purchased pre-made.

I join this looped topshot to the spectra's bimini loop with a loop to loop connection.

One reel has hollow spectra...with that one you can run the mono in the spectra and serve. No knots. I'd like to have hollow spectra on other reels, but there are lots of goodies one could buy for the price of a reel full of spectra.

These connections are compact, go through the guides easily and have not failed. Yet.

I change them several times a season, including retying the bimini. I saw the Salt Water Sportsman (I think?) magazine article that suggested 8 turn biminis and I am trying those with no problem so far.

Pescador - 2-13-2009 at 07:39 PM

I make a Bimini with only 12 turns in the spectra, then use a little superglue or Charkbait spectra adhesive, and then do a 7 turn bristol knot with the monofilament. I can change the mono on the boat in a bouncy sea if I get rock chafing or other problems.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/601.html
http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=6