BajaNomad

Camp Rene

bajajudy - 2-14-2009 at 07:25 AM

This is a vicarious trip report:

My husband and his friend are just back from a road trip during which they stayed one night at Camp Rene. The rooms are still spartan but they could not stop talking about Ricardo, who is running the place now, and how clean everything was and how great the food was. They had a fried shrimp(12 on each plate) dinner and breakfast there.

Just thought I would share
:dudette:

Steve&Debby - 2-14-2009 at 09:42 AM

Where is Camp Rene? I'm hungry now,sounds good.:yes::yes:

[Edited on 2-14-2009 by Steve&;Debby]

Diver - 2-14-2009 at 09:50 AM

Near Abreojos

They even have a website now !!

http://www.camporene.com/punta-abreojos-palapas.htm

[Edited on 2-14-2009 by Diver]

Steve&Debby - 2-14-2009 at 10:15 AM

Thanks Diver,
Great web site ,nice fish also. But where is Abreojos?I can' find it on the map.

Russ - 2-14-2009 at 10:58 AM

Abreojos area Google Earth:

Abreojos area copy.jpg - 44kB

Diver - 2-14-2009 at 11:05 AM

If you are heading south on Mex 1, the right turn to Abre is after Viscaino but before San Ignacio. The new paved road heads most of the way out to the Pacific coast.

DianaT - 2-14-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
But where is Abreojos?I can' find it on the map.

At great risk of having a friend from Abreojos show up at our home on his quad in a not very happy mood :lol::P:lol:, here is where Abreojos is. It is also well know to the surfers.

It is on the south part of the Vizcaino Peninsula and about 60+/- miles from San Ignacio. The road to Abreojos is mostly paved now---but not all the way. The turn off to Campo Rene is well marked.

You can also reach Abreojos from Bahia Asuncion on a 68+/- dirt road----can be a slow but beautiful drive. Don't think, howeve, I would drive a motorhome over that road.

We love Campo Rene and the website is very nice and shows lots of nice pictures of the place.

The cabins are stark, small, but clean and nice. The bathrooms are newer and separate, and VERY nice.

It is a beautiful place to watch the sunset and the extreme tides ---lots of birds, and across the road is a very empty beautiful beach.

Diane

[Edited on 2-14-2009 by jdtrotter]

bajajudy - 2-14-2009 at 12:05 PM

Disculpe, por favor
Where do I think that I live

CAMPO RENE

DianaT - 2-14-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Disculpe, por favor
Where do I think that I live

CAMPO RENE

???????

I think anyone who has been around here for while knows that you live in San Jose del Cabo and you like to get away when you can and camp in some beautiful out of the way places.

Sorry you did not get to go on the road trip.

diane

bajajudy - 2-14-2009 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

???????

I think anyone who has been around here for while knows that you live in San Jose del Cabo and you like to get away when you can and camp in some beautiful out of the way places.

Sorry you did not get to go on the road trip.

diane

Yes I am sorry that I didnt get to go too but it was much better that I stayed here with our house guest.

The disculpe was for my ignorance nada mas. When I reread my post I was horrified to see that I had called it Camp Rene.

DianaT - 2-14-2009 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

The disculpe was for my ignorance nada mas. When I reread my post I was horrified to see that I had called it Camp Rene.

Well, you caught it before the spelling police arrived. :lol::lol:

Does show that a slight mispelling does not take away from knowing where a place is----never noticed that you wrote Camp rather than Campo.

I really am glad that to hear they are having good management now after some of the problems over the last few years. Great place to go.

Diane

Skipjack Joe - 2-15-2009 at 08:06 AM

Camp(o) Rene is arguably the best campground on the pacific side. A beautiful spot that's inexpensive to stay with a good restaurant. It's also an excellent place for birdwatching. You can probably spot 20 species without getting off the balcony at the restaurant. It's also isolated and still has much of the baja feeling that abreojos has lost since the paved road went in.

Steve&Debby - 2-15-2009 at 01:23 PM

Judy,
Sorry about hijacking you post,but Campo Rene is now on my list of places to explore looks like a nice place.Looks like their is alot of other roads to explore around there.
Diver do you think there is any problem getting in there with my rig?

Diver - 2-15-2009 at 01:30 PM

Quote:

No problem getting to Campo Rene or Abreojos with your rig.
I think the road is paved all the way to Campo Rene or darn close.
I think the last 7-8 miles into Abre (past the campo) are still dirt but no big grade changes.

bajajudy - 2-15-2009 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Judy,
Sorry about hijacking you post,but Campo Rene is now on my list of places to explore looks like a nice place.Looks like their is alot of other roads to explore around there.

Hey my purpose was to let people know about this place so no hijacking here.
I havent been in over 5 years but loved the place and still have some bird shots from the aforementioned porch.
My husband said that Ricardo was so nice and the place was so clean and the food was so good that I just had to share.:bounce:

Campo René, 7-07

David K - 2-15-2009 at 04:30 PM

Russ - 2-15-2009 at 06:08 PM

It really looks like they've cleaned the place up. I stayed there a few days in May of '06 and we had a good time exploring on quads. Here a phot bucket site with some pics of that trip.
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/Russinbaja/Weather/C...
This one's of some friends and I relaxing on the patio

[Edited on 2-16-2009 by Russ]

Campo Rene~21.jpg - 47kB

Campo Rene

BajaDanD - 2-15-2009 at 06:25 PM

We stayed there two years ago there is some really fun lite tackle fishing in Estero coyote. Fished from a small aluminum boat. Also La Bocana is close by, fished from our kayaks there had a blast.

wilderone - 2-16-2009 at 09:35 PM

Breakfast comes with "hush brows" - ummm!

I spent 4 nights kayaking way back in the estero - really fascinating. Also, got lucky and saw my first actual grunion on the beach there.

Stickers - 2-16-2009 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Judy,

Steve and Debby there is a nice aircraft landing strip right in front of the place. :light:

Campo René from Space!

David K - 2-17-2009 at 09:28 AM

Here's the Campo Rene runway westbound... the campo is on the right, on the shore of Estero el Coyote.

Looking south over the campo and runway to Bahia Ballenas.

Looking east, down the runway towards the mouth of Estero el Coyote.

Looking down from about 10,000 feet, north at top.

From over 20 miles up, north at top: PUNTA ABREOJOS on the left, Campo Rene in the middle, Laguna San Ignacio on the right.

Barry A. - 2-17-2009 at 09:37 AM

Well done, David.

Very graphic representation, easily understood, even by me. :lol:

Barry

can they teach me to "surfear"?

BajaVida - 2-17-2009 at 08:51 PM

fishbuck - 2-17-2009 at 09:58 PM

Where's the runway? I'm looking but don't see a runway.

Skipjack Joe - 2-17-2009 at 10:37 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

You know, that kinda talk doesn't inspire confidence in people.

Stickers - 2-17-2009 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

The runway is parallel to the ocean but inland. If you go to google earth and zoom in you can faintly see white rocks lining the side. These runways are hard to find from a distance, so a low slow buzz job over the location is necessary before landing and that way you might see a wind sock (maybe) or else some white caps on the water or smoke form a fire for wind direction. Then you're all ready to set up to land.
Laguna San Ignacio is also hard to see when you are in-bound but during whale season there are usually aircraft on the ground for clues.

fishbuck - 2-17-2009 at 11:38 PM

I saw it:cool: It's not very well marked. But I did see a few rocks lining one side of it. Looks plenty long and wide.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Russ - 2-18-2009 at 09:04 AM

Does this help?

Rene-1 copy.jpg - 47kB

dtbushpilot - 2-18-2009 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
I saw it:cool: It's not very well marked. But I did see a few rocks lining one side of it. Looks plenty long and wide.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Fish, the runway is easy to see when you are close, there is a wind sock on the SE end which is generally the approach end. It is in very good shape and a mile long, you could easily land a DC3 on it. One of my favorite places, land, taxi right into the parking lot and stay as long as you wish. All the necessities of life right there and no security issues......dt

David K - 2-18-2009 at 11:30 AM

Fishbuck... would the word 'Landing Field' be better for you than 'runway'?

It is huge... packed hard dirt... smooth as a ... well, you know!

fishbuck - 2-18-2009 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Does this help?

That was nice of them to paint the runway yellow. Now it easy to see.

KurtG - 2-18-2009 at 08:08 PM

About 10 years ago I landed there with a buddy in a his 182. We had about a strong head wind so our ground speed at touchdown was effectively zero. Smoothest landing of the whole trip!

Hook - 2-18-2009 at 08:10 PM

Quote:

Dont worry about it............this is only a view from the air.

Oh, wait..........:lol: