BajaNomad

First Fishing Trip to East Cape

kitjv - 2-23-2009 at 10:26 PM

For 3 weeks beginning in late March, we will be staying in the Los Barriles area. Although I have been in the area before, this will be my first time fishing there. I will be bringing my 11-ft. inflatable boat w/ a 20-hp outboard which can be easily launched from the beach. For tackle, I plan to bring gear for trolling, casting/bottom fishing & surf fishing.

We won't be targeting any particular species. Just simply having 3 weeks of fishing, relaxation & catching dinner. I have searched the forums & read the books. So I feel that I won't be entirely "green".

However, I am humble enough to realize that there is a wealth of collective wisdom among those of you who are seasoned veterans.

So...any tidbits of wisdom & suggestions that you might have to give me a boost up the learning curve of fishing the area would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!

fishbuck - 2-23-2009 at 10:27 PM

Bring a cooler with some beer in it. That might help.;D

Diver - 2-23-2009 at 10:37 PM

I use a 9.9 with my 11' Zodiak and it's plenty of power.
That 20 is going to be heavy to carry very far on the beach.

If you don't already have one, get a dry-bag; it's hard to keep anything dry in an inflatable.
Also, a good vhf handheld is a great idea.
And make sure you have a comfy seating situation as fishing from the pontoon can kill your back.
Fishbuck's cooler can make a good seat ! :biggrin:
Remember to have an extra cooler or bucket for caught fishies with little teethies or spines that can put a hole in your boat if left flopping around.

fishbuck - 2-23-2009 at 11:08 PM

I had a 12.5 Achelles with a 25 Johnson. The motor was ridiculously heavy but the boat was very fast. I used a 14 Tohatsu and it was much lighter and still planed with 1 person on board.
The things I remember most are stuff bounces around a lot in an inflatable and it sucked for fishing because it is difficult to face aft comfortably.
But the beer cooler seat might help.
Bring straps and bungee cords to hold all you stuff in place otherwise it all ends up in you lap in the back of the boat.

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 08:56 AM

I agree. These are all standard fare on my boat. Admittedly, the 20hp might be overkill. But the it weights only 109 lbs. And, if the weather gets snotty, I can be on shore fast.

I have experimented with several seats. Although a swivel seat mounted on a wooden thwart is excellent for stability & comfort, it takes up too much space on an 11-ft. boat. So, my choice is a cooler with a "stadium seat" with backrest.

Any recommendations on productive techniques while fishing either from the boat or from shore?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I use a 9.9 with my 11' Zodiak and it's plenty of power.
That 20 is going to be heavy to carry very far on the beach.

If you don't already have one, get a dry-bag; it's hard to keep anything dry in an inflatable.
Also, a good vhf handheld is a great idea.
And make sure you have a comfy seating situation as fishing from the pontoon can kill your back.
Fishbuck's cooler can make a good seat ! :biggrin:
Remember to have an extra cooler or bucket for caught fishies with little teethies or spines that can put a hole in your boat if left flopping around.

Diver - 2-24-2009 at 09:20 AM

Do you have a depth finder ?
If so, you can do some jigging over structure.

Otherwise, drift over bottom color with a kroc, jig or weighted bait rig.
Maybe find a weed line and do some casting or troll around bigger cover.
Look for diving/feeding birds or jumping fish !!
Open water trolling with Rapalas, plugs or hoochies can work at times.
Ask the locals about reefs - what/where is biting when you get there.

wilderone - 2-24-2009 at 09:31 AM

If the tuna are biting, you should get some live bait. There are two live bait boats in the area, but not close to Los Barriles - closest one is about a mile or so south of Rancho Leonero. Might be good fishing right out in front of Los Barriles. You'll be competing with all the boats in the area - you'll find that everyone goes to the same places when they're biting and everyone knows where - so if you see 20 boats all in the same area, that's where the fish are. Your best option is to try to get there first.

Skipjack Joe - 2-24-2009 at 09:55 AM

You might think about being a bit north of Las Barriles, the La Ventana campground. The waters are less crowded up there. Consider launching at Los Muertos on occasion, an area that is productive from a small boat such as yours.

mulegemichael - 2-24-2009 at 10:28 AM

FOR SURE tow your little boat south for about 15 miles to hotel punta colorada...you can launch right out in front of the hotel....there's all sorts of rocky points and rock piles right there and the fish abound...big jacks and roosters, pargo, sierra,(but they probably will be gone by then), pompano, etc...you won't regret making this little day trip...might even consider staying overnight at the hotel so you can be on the water by daylight....cool place!

BirdDog - 2-24-2009 at 11:34 AM

Cedar Plugs work great for Dorado and Tuna also.

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 12:19 PM

Actually we are renting a casa between Punta Pescadero & Los Barriles. Depending on the beach contour there, I plan to launch right outside my window.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
You might think about being a bit north of Las Barriles, the La Ventana campground. The waters are less crowded up there. Consider launching at Los Muertos on occasion, an area that is productive from a small boat such as yours.

BajaBruno - 2-24-2009 at 12:19 PM

The biggest problem I had fishing from my inflatable was mounting the rods for trolling. I found it difficult to hold the rod and drive the boat, so I eventually mounted rod holders on the wood transom, which was better than nothing, but not great.

I agree with you on the seating—the best seats I found were little beach sand chairs, which are very similar to your solution.

Big fish tend to drag an inflatable, so leverage is an issue, but if you are patient and don’t lock up with a blue marlin it will work out OK. Wind also tends to blow inflatables across the water when you are trying to bottom fish, making it difficult to maintain position. I tried various methods of counteracting this (a bucket overboard, etc.), but none of them particularly successful. A small rock anchor with a lot of rode works if the water is shallow enough.

I suggest stocking up on Rebel type lures for trolling over the reefs, and some 6+” hard-head squid lures for faster trolling out a little farther. If you have a means to keep bait, bring lots of short-shank bait hooks and rubber core weights. Sabiki rigs are always nice if you can find the bait.

Good luck. Any boat is always better than no boat at all.

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Since we will be in the area for 3 weeks, we will have a lot of time & options.

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
FOR SURE tow your little boat south for about 15 miles to hotel punta colorada...you can launch right out in front of the hotel....there's all sorts of rocky points and rock piles right there and the fish abound...big jacks and roosters, pargo, sierra,(but they probably will be gone by then), pompano, etc...you won't regret making this little day trip...might even consider staying overnight at the hotel so you can be on the water by daylight....cool place!

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 12:29 PM

After considerable research & head scratching, I bought a couple of clamp-on rod holders that attach to the transom. What is particularly nice is that they are completely articulated - i.e. they can be mounted & adjusted in literally any vertical or horizontal direction. And they are stout. So, I feel comfortable with these.

Inflatables are corks. They have their attributes, as well as their shortcomings. It's always trade-offs. But the prime objective for me is portability & stability.

I have a decent selection of Rebels, Crocs, squid skirts, etc. As far as live bait is concerned, I plan to resort to the "old school" technique of catching it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
The biggest problem I had fishing from my inflatable was mounting the rods for trolling. I found it difficult to hold the rod and drive the boat, so I eventually mounted rod holders on the wood transom, which was better than nothing, but not great.

I agree with you on the seating—the best seats I found were little beach sand chairs, which are very similar to your solution.

Big fish tend to drag an inflatable, so leverage is an issue, but if you are patient and don’t lock up with a blue marlin it will work out OK. Wind also tends to blow inflatables across the water when you are trying to bottom fish, making it difficult to maintain position. I tried various methods of counteracting this (a bucket overboard, etc.), but none of them particularly successful. A small rock anchor with a lot of rode works if the water is shallow enough.

I suggest stocking up on Rebel type lures for trolling over the reefs, and some 6+” hard-head squid lures for faster trolling out a little farther. If you have a means to keep bait, bring lots of short-shank bait hooks and rubber core weights. Sabiki rigs are always nice if you can find the bait.

Good luck. Any boat is always better than no boat at all.

dtbushpilot - 2-24-2009 at 01:23 PM

There is usually good fishing inshore in that area. Troll jointed or regular Rapala or similar lures from where you launch up to Punta Pescadero. There is a reef at Pescadero that goes out quite a ways and there are lots of different things to catch in that area. You don't need to be out very far, 1/4-1/2 mile is plenty, sometimes closer is better.

How far you go depends on your comfort level, you can continue trolling North of Pescadero to El Cardonal and back and stop and drift off Pescadero for some bottom fish. Jigs or bait, you can usually get a box of frozen squid at Chapito's market that would be good near structure or off the beach.

I have a 14' tin boat that I use down there. I gave up on live bait, sardines are very hard to keep alive without a decent live well. I'll be down there around the middle of March, I'll u2u you when I get there, maybe we can go catch a fish.....dt

I caught these guys from the beach right in front of my house....a hoot on light tackle and the yellowtail made some great sashimi......dt

inshore hot times!

bajadave1 - 2-24-2009 at 01:26 PM

One more "usual" hot spot is right out in front of the hotel Palmas de Cortez . If the hotel has customers, the boats all return and dump the "surplus" live bait. It works like ringing a dinner bell! Lot's of Jack's,roosters, even the odd tuna or dorado. Have fun.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dave

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 02:00 PM

Thanks, dtbushpilot. Your comments echo similar suggestions that I have heard. I'm quite comfortable in the inflatable (weather permitting). With the 20hp 4-stroke outboard, the li'l bugger scoots right along.

I will be there from March 29 - April 19. Do contact me. I plan to bring my traveling laptop. However, I don't know about the convenience of interest access.

24baja - 2-24-2009 at 02:20 PM

Have a fantastic trip.....fish, love, drink beer!

kitjv - 2-24-2009 at 02:32 PM

Muchas gracias, mi amigo. However, I can only agree with you on 2 of the 3. Not being an avid beer aficionado (although there is something about beer & Baja...), I plan to pick up a couple of cases of wine along the Ruta de Vino between Tecate & Ensenada. That should complete the "holy trinity".

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja

24baja - 2-24-2009 at 02:48 PM

The whole experience is to enjoy and relax so if you prefer wine then wine it is, and don't forget laughter, it to is a key to loving life. Cheers!

ZThomas - 2-24-2009 at 05:02 PM

Yellowtail on a bass rod from the beach--nice work, dtbushpilot!

fishbuck - 2-24-2009 at 05:16 PM

You are going to drink wine while fishing? That is like bringing a banana on the boat.
You will never catch any fish like that. I guess if you took me along to drink the beer it might counteract the wine bad juju.
You know, if I drink enough beer!:coolup:

Quote:
Originally posted by kitjv
Muchas gracias, mi amigo. However, I can only agree with you on 2 of the 3. Not being an avid beer aficionado (although there is something about beer & Baja...), I plan to pick up a couple of cases of wine along the Ruta de Vino between Tecate & Ensenada. That should complete the "holy trinity".

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja

dtbushpilot - 2-25-2009 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZThomas
Yellowtail on a bass rod from the beach--nice work, dtbushpilot!

Thanks Z. It is a pretty light outfit but it is really sweet for casting lures from the beach or boat. I've caught fish up to 15# with it. The drag gets a work out that it wasn't designed for though, guess I'll see how it holds up.

I caught 3 of the roosters in a 10 minute wide open bite right on the beach. There were sardines littering the beach when it was over.......dt

ps: sorry for the hijack......

dtbushpilot - 2-25-2009 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kitjv
Thanks, dtbushpilot. Your comments echo similar suggestions that I have heard. I'm quite comfortable in the inflatable (weather permitting). With the 20hp 4-stroke outboard, the li'l bugger scoots right along.

I will be there from March 29 - April 19. Do contact me. I plan to bring my traveling laptop. However, I don't know about the convenience of interest access.

If the place you are renting doesn't have internet access there are a number of local resturants in Los Barilles that have free wifi.....dt

kitjv - 2-25-2009 at 06:03 PM

I figured as much. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
If the place you are renting doesn't have internet access there are a number of local resturants in Los Barilles that have free wifi.....dt

fishbuck - 2-25-2009 at 06:04 PM

I want an inflatible for my plane.

Wood Floor 11' 1"
Mercury 340 Sport Grey 2007
Length 11' 1", PVC, 123 Lbs

Item #: 454280
Manufacturer: MERCURY
Model #: 340 Sport
Shipping Weight: 133.00 Lbs.

Reg. Price: $1029.00
Sale Price: $825.00

Diver - 2-25-2009 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I want an inflatible for my plane.

Wood Floor 11' 1"
Mercury 340 Sport Grey 2007
Length 11' 1", PVC, 123 Lbs

Item #: 454280
Manufacturer: MERCURY
Model #: 340 Sport
Shipping Weight: 133.00 Lbs.

Reg. Price: $1029.00
Sale Price: $825.00

I have an 11' Zodiak with 9.9 Evinrude that I would let go for $700 with oars, oar locks, patch kit, dry bag etc.

fishbuck - 2-25-2009 at 06:25 PM

A good price but I'm strickly in the 11' 1" market.

Diver - 2-25-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
A good price but I'm strickly in the 11' 1" market.

Somehow I knew that extra inch would be important to you. :lol::lol::lol:

fishbuck - 2-25-2009 at 06:41 PM

That's what she said!:cool: