BajaNomad

la paz cops

R22D22 - 2-25-2009 at 03:48 PM

We our just completing our fourth visit to La Paz and the cape region. In the past we have always enjoyed our time here but this trip was marred when we encountered the notorious La Paz cop offense of "driving while gringo". With a sizable group of Mexican drivers I was proceeding through the three way stop at the turn off to the university on the Cabo highway. I stopped just as they did but I was pulled over and the cop took my driving license, refused to write me a ticket and extorted $30 from me to give me back my license . This also happened to seven of the 32 drivers from a large caravan staying in this park. It was later arranged for a reporter to do a televised interview with the eight of us one at a time. As a result an effort will be made to report and publicize to local residents and officialdom. these very common incidents

I was advised that if this happened again to first write down the name and number of the cop. Then hold the license so he can see it but don't let him have it until the ticket is written. Any serious attempts at bribery and extortion can be reported by sending an email to ivetcorralescanal8@gmail.com with a copy to bajasis@hotmail.com providing details of the incident

Yeah...pi$$ 'em off.

Dave - 2-25-2009 at 05:16 PM

That's what I'd do. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by R22D22
I was advised that if this happened again to first write down the name and number of the cop. Then hold the license so he can see it but don't let him have it until the ticket is written.

So...You think withholding your license from a corrupt cop will work? What would prevent him from sticking a gun in your face and taking it...And then all your money?

baja Steve - 2-25-2009 at 05:39 PM

I was behind an American at the same intersection in January. He was stopped by an officer so I stopped behind the officer and watched. I could see the driver was getting upset after a few minutes so I went up to the American and asked if I could help and he told me the same story as you have posted. After talking to the officer and the driver I had the driver tell the officer to take his drivers license and we would go to the police station which we did. The driver was very thankful and wanted to buy me lunch which he did then we went to the police station went through process and got his license back and the ticket was $7.00, the total time at the police station was about 30 minutes. I started going to Baja in 1968 and spend a lot of time there. If drivers would relax and follow the Mexican rules they would find out that it is not all that bad and you even meet new friends at the station.

Intimidation Tactics

Mulegena - 2-25-2009 at 06:20 PM

Corrupt Cops and their methods are scary. I know. I've been robbed, or let me rephrase that, I've allowed myself to be robbed by the bastards. I hate that I folded and gave in so quickly, but he's a policeman, right?, and when I disputed his charges (speeding-- I was going 40 mph on the highway into TJ) his aggression escalated dramatically. I rounded the corner as I approached the turnoff to the border in Tijuana and saw 6 other US-plated cars being "rolled" by TJ cops on motorcycles... then I got mad. I vowed right then never to hand over my ID to a Mexican cop, never to pay him off on the spot-- even if I were in the wrong-- and to insist, no demand, to go to the Station, period, end of story.

So far History has not repeated itself and I have not had to put my resolve to the test.

Barry A. - 2-25-2009 at 06:35 PM

I have "resisted" for some 50 + years their extortion tactics and NEVER, I repeat NEVER, have I had any serious problems-------and I NEVER have paid ANY mordida-----NEVER------and I never will.

I rest my case.

Barry

Paulclark - 2-25-2009 at 06:53 PM

When I get stopped in La Paz, which was frequently before I had Mexican plates, I would be patient and follow the system, which is receive your ticket and go and pay it at the police station. If I was in a hurry I would pay the mordida and get on my way. If I was angry about the system I would ask for his ID and then when he asked me to pay the fine to him because the police station was closed I would tell him that I couldn't as that was a bribe and we should go to the police station together so i could file a complaint and pay my ticket. At that point I have always been told that he would let me go with a warning this time.
Everyone seems to forget that you are in a foreign country where traditions and culture are different--and you aren't going to change it. American's are stopped because the bribe/extortion is larger than they would receive from a Mexican.

Leo - 2-25-2009 at 07:06 PM

hey you guys, that are some real good samples (Steve and Paul) as to how to handle LAP cops or any for that matter. Play stuppid or go to the station, but don't open your wallet.
As for Dave, you sound a bit paranoid. If it happens in town, it won't be so bad.
Happy traveling!

[Edited on 2-26-2009 by Leo]

Nah...

Dave - 2-25-2009 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
As for Dave, you sound a bit paranoid.

I just understand the absurdity of lecturing someone who has a gun...in the process of a robbery. :rolleyes:

Mordida?

Dave - 2-25-2009 at 08:23 PM

A fair amount. Anytime I can pay 'under the river/table' to get something done cheaper than if I do it legal, I will. Didn't always feel that way but I've changed. Besides, it's my choice.

But a police officer asking for a bribe ain't mordida. It's robbery. Only happened once...recently, late at night on a lonely stretch of road. I paid.

Paulclark - 2-25-2009 at 08:27 PM

I am usually asked for 200 pesos and negotiate down to 100.

Dude, I'm 58

Dave - 2-25-2009 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
A when in Paris kind of thing?

Paris wouldn't even talk to me. :rolleyes:

vandenberg - 2-25-2009 at 08:40 PM

My wife, here in Loreto, got a simple parking ticket. Cop took her license and told her the fine was 200 pesos, to be paid the following day at the station. Fine, at the station ended up being 273 pesos ( quite high even by US standards ) and it took them an eternity to locate her confiscated license.

Barry A. - 2-25-2009 at 08:53 PM

I don't give them my actual license-----I give them a photostatic copy-----period. Like I say, it has worked for me for about 55 years, and counting. So far, the bottom line is that I have never actually been given the ticket that they are so threatening to do, and so far nobody has shot, or beaten me.

We negotiate, and I win. How is that for arrogance?

I refuse to become "part of the problem"----it is as simple as that, and we usually part on good terms, tho they often just shake their head in frustration, but hardly ever anger.

Barry

Stickers - 2-25-2009 at 09:21 PM

I have always used a local rental car when down in La Paz and maybe that's why I have not been noticed (pun intended) even with my crummy driving.

gnukid - 2-25-2009 at 10:16 PM

We got a parking ticket recently in a spot clearly marked white not red, so we took photos and went to the station and spoke to the judge who said photos are not acceptable but we stuck with it and got an investigation, the ticket was declined and the next day the spot was painted red. So it seems that justice will prevail when you persist.

As far as those loco cops it seems they will never change without pressure, so don't be afraid, don't get upset, be patient and persist and never pay on the spot but get their names, take pictures and go to the judge.

For Dave, you seem to forget that mexican cops do not have bullets let alone functioning guns. In general they are likely more afraid of you than you are of them.

The approach I suggest is be polite, patient, maintain a good sense of humor and be personable and change the subject.

Barry A. - 2-25-2009 at 11:16 PM

Right on Gnukid!!! You said what I have been trying to say, but much more eloquently.

Barry

Right

Dave - 2-26-2009 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
For Dave, you seem to forget that mexican cops do not have bullets let alone functioning guns.

You go right on thinking that. Better yet, why don't you put it to the test? See if you can get a Mexican cop to point a gun at you and pull the trigger. It should be fun.

I know I'll enjoy it.

luv2fish - 10-19-2012 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
For Dave, you seem to forget that mexican cops do not have bullets let alone functioning guns.

You go right on thinking that. Better yet, why don't you put it to the test? See if you can get a Mexican cop to point a gun at you and pull the trigger. It should be fun.

I know I'll enjoy it.
Nonsense, Mexico's finest can be put up against any other Police org. in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRV2wAeWUcM

shari - 10-19-2012 at 09:11 AM

my favorite mordida story is from a young world traveller who drives a funky Volkswagen van...during an obvious shakedown...he politely told the cop he was very hungry and proceeded to ever so slowly make a sandwich and offered to make the cop one...he got tired of waiting and moved on...no mordida except out of his sandwich!

luv2fish - 10-19-2012 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
my favorite mordida story is from a young world traveller who drives a funky Volkswagen van...during an obvious shakedown...he politely told the cop he was very hungry and proceeded to ever so slowly make a sandwich and offered to make the cop one...he got tired of waiting and moved on...no mordida except out of his sandwich!

Sounds good, what kind of sandwich ?? Maybe he should of made a torta......:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ILikeMex - 10-19-2012 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by R22D22
I was proceeding through the three way stop at the turn off to the university on the Cabo highway. I stopped just as they did but I was pulled over and the cop took my driving license, refused to write me a ticket and extorted $30 from me to give me back my license .

Sounds like you ran a stop sign and were given the opportunity to pay the fine on the spot (at an increased fee and without a receipt). Wish I could get that option state side. :cool:

durrelllrobert - 10-20-2012 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Corrupt Cops and their methods are scary. I know. I've been robbed, or let me rephrase that, I've allowed myself to be robbed by the bastards.

zoesterone - 10-20-2012 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
I was behind an American at the same intersection in January. He was stopped by an officer so I stopped behind the officer and watched. I could see the driver was getting upset after a few minutes so I went up to the American and asked if I could help and he told me the same story as you have posted. After talking to the officer and the driver I had the driver tell the officer to take his drivers license and we would go to the police station which we did. The driver was very thankful and wanted to buy me lunch which he did then we went to the police station went through process and got his license back and the ticket was $7.00, the total time at the police station was about 30 minutes. I started going to Baja in 1968 and spend a lot of time there. If drivers would relax and follow the Mexican rules they would find out that it is not all that bad and you even meet new friends at the station.

What a refreshing post!

Pescador - 10-20-2012 at 07:50 AM

When you go to a restaurant you end up tipping the waitress and help because the owner does not pay them enough to make a living and you are supposed to pick up the slack.

When you go to Mexico, you are seen as the rich customer, and you are again supposed to pick up the slack for what the government does not pay them. It has become somewhat of an art form and La Paz is no stranger to how well this sytem can function. I can remember reading about this practice in some of the early guide books.

I have learned, for the most part, how to avoid this practice, but I must also admit that in the small town where I live, I always give fish and things to the local guys and they seem to give me a little extra attention if I have any problems with theft and the like.

jamesbeck - 10-20-2012 at 09:49 AM

A couple years ago I was stopped by La Paz police after rolling thru taking my turn at a 4 way. Cop told me I didn't stop. I replied the person in front and to the side didn't either. I didn't want the person behind me to hit me. That I'd been driving like a Mexican for years. His response was to ask if I lived in La Paz and I responded no La Ventana. He then told me to have a nice drive home. Just trolling for a few easy pesos. Quite friendly. Was my 1st municipal police stop in 6 years of wintering in La Paz.

Lee - 10-20-2012 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
When you go to a restaurant you end up tipping the waitress and help because the owner does not pay them enough to make a living and you are supposed to pick up the slack.

Is this thread about LP cops being highjacked?

So, some ancient guidebooks stated ''rich gringoes'' pick up slack for underpaid service workers -- and you believe them.

Looks a bit c-ckeyed to me.

All gringoes are rich compared to most MX in Baja. There are those gringoes who don't want to be viewed as an easy mark, and those who spread the wealth because they have it.

Taking up slack with money looks like a moral issue.

weebray - 10-20-2012 at 12:11 PM

We live in La Paz and here's a tip. Avoid the intersection at Revolucion y Degollado. There almost always police with a very heavy hand at that intersection. There are a few other intersections in "Centro" that can also be problematic. Almost anywhere else in the city ALTO signs are treated as a mere suggestion. The best route through town or to the downtown area from the north west is: Hwy 1 to Colima, turn right 2 blocks, turn left on Revolucion, continue to Allende and turn right two blocks to G. Prieto and turn left.

Pescador - 10-21-2012 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Is this thread about LP cops being highjacked?

So, some ancient guidebooks stated ''rich gringoes'' pick up slack for underpaid service workers -- and you believe them.

Looks a bit c-ckeyed to me.

All gringoes are rich compared to most MX in Baja. There are those gringoes who don't want to be viewed as an easy mark, and those who spread the wealth because they have it.

Taking up slack with money looks like a moral issue.

Lee, you really need to check you reading comprehension.

What I was saying is that the Mexican Police are not paid very much and they try to get creative to add to their incomes. Many times Norteamericanos make easy targets.

The connection to tipping is merely that food service people get very good at getting tips to supplement their income. That is a parallel concept not a statement of what is right or wrong.

Your statment that it is morally wrong may not be totally accurate in the mind of the policeman. He will however, go for the easy prey, and someone who knows what is going on will be less susceptible to the "little bite".

monoloco - 10-21-2012 at 05:41 PM

I agree Pescador, gringos are indeed low hanging fruit, I have been in cars with with gringos who when pulled over have just whipped out the wallet and started forking over pesos without even the slightest protest.

Lee - 10-21-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:

Lee, you really need to check you reading comprehension.

What I was saying is....

That was not how I read it. I'll stand corrected.