BajaNomad

cabelas salt striker fishing line

4baja - 2-26-2009 at 07:40 AM

anybody use this line before? had some good reveiws on cabelas alot cheaper then the top brands. i like berkly big game and ande but i have 15 reels to respool before the season hits and would like to save some money thanks.:coolup:

castaway$ - 2-26-2009 at 09:00 AM

I use it! I haven't really seen any differance between it and trilene big game. I caught a 150# marlin on 40 pound test and many yellowtail and dorado, Iv'e also used it extensivley on the oregon coast for bottom fish and it has held up pretty well to rock abraisons. Castaway

Diver - 2-26-2009 at 09:04 AM

I noted this answer on Allcoast:

It's all I use for main line, for leader I use Ande Pink,(much harder)
I fish hard in the Key West - Dry Tortugas area, no newbie here, hard core.
This is what I suspect...
-Noticed Saltstriker says "Made in Japan"
-Noticed Cabela's says Saltstriker is made by a premium line
manufacturer.
Now, compare Salt Striker to Momoi Hi-Catch...
My friend, Salt Striker is nothing more than Momoi Hi-Catch at a fraction of the cost. I buy Salt Striker for $30 for 2 punds.
I've already put that line to the test, it's a soft line, low memory but it has great knot strenght which IMO is any line's achille's heel. For you guys out West they have it in blue also.

4baja - 2-26-2009 at 12:30 PM

niceeeee! thanks i think ill put in a order.

Pescador - 3-1-2009 at 09:30 AM

I test the line breakage point and knot stregth on all of the lines I use. Cabela's line is ok but 50 lb will break at less than 50 lbs, sometimes down to low 40's and it is weaker with any type of clinch knot like uni's or plain clinch. It lolds a little better with a palomar but most knots will only have about 85% of breaking stregth with this line. It does feel nice on the reel since it is pretty soft but you really need to retie you hooks or lures after ever 1 or 2 fish.
I have tested Berkley Big Game and am totally convinced this is the best Baja line that has ever been made. It is cheaper and usually stronger than Ande, Momoi, Izorline, or the designer lines like Penn. 50 lb. line will normally break at 60-65 lbs, and with a Double San Diego Jam knot I can get 99-100% of breaking stregth of the line. Berkley came out with a high test line in the big game version that is supposed to be stronger and less diameter than the original, but it was total crap and I returned all of the spools I bought. I normally buy 3 pound spools from Charkbait as he seems to always have fresh line and the prices are as good as I can find anywhere.
Two years ago, I decided I was spending a lot of money on mono since I would respool sometimes every two weeks or at the longest every month due to the extreme stress of San Marcos yellowtail, but finally went to hollow Jerry Brown Spectra and now I just use a small top shot and have lines that are 3 and 4 years old. I like the hollow because I can thread 5 feet of mono up the center, bind it off with adhesive and a wrap, and can actually change the whole thing out in minutes. My wife, Marika, does not like the spectra so I do leave complete mono on her reels but once I adjusted to the spectra I greatly prefer it. The initial investment was heavy, but over the course of 3 or 4 years it more than pays for itself.

castaway$ - 3-1-2009 at 10:26 AM

I haven't tried the hollow spectra but it sounds like it makes the chore of adding a top shot a lot easier and possibly more reliable. I have been using P line Spectrex and I realy like it it has a super small diameter and it is TOUGH, but making the transition for the top shot, in my mind, has created a weak point, but then again I'm not the king of knots, I have one i use but I don't know if it is a "standard" knot or not. suggestions?

Diver - 3-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Another option is to spool your reel with solid spectra and add a section of hollow to allow for mono or flouro topshots to be added as Pescador says.
The solid is normally a bit smaller diameter than the hollow and often cheaper.
No knots needed for this connection.

Russ - 3-1-2009 at 11:03 AM

Here's ClarkBait site with some really interesting stuff.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Spectra.htm

AcuDoc - 3-1-2009 at 11:07 AM

I've used P line for years now and really like it. Have you ever tested it Jim?
"P-Line's Floroclear Line has a unique fluorocarbon coating that ensures the line is virtual invisible underwater for stealth presentations. Along with a special copolymer construction, Floroclear has little memory, is very castable, amazingly durable and unbeatable knot strength." (the company propaganda)

Also I watch Fishing Club Journal and they have been doing a segment called "knot wars". They have found the palomar knot to be the strongest knot even stronger the the SD jam knots. The palomar knot won the competition last year for the strongest knot. This years competition is on loop knots.
http://www.fishingclub.com/Projects/Project.aspx?id=141606

More important Jim....how is Marika?

Pescador - 3-1-2009 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
I've used P line for years now and really like it. Have you ever tested it Jim?
"P-Line's Floroclear Line has a unique fluorocarbon coating that ensures the line is virtual invisible underwater for stealth presentations. Along with a special copolymer construction, Floroclear has little memory, is very castable, amazingly durable and unbeatable knot strength." (the company propaganda)

Also I watch Fishing Club Journal and they have been doing a segment called "knot wars". They have found the palomar knot to be the strongest knot even stronger the the SD jam knots. The palomar knot won the competition last year for the strongest knot. This years competition is on loop knots.
http://www.fishingclub.com/Projects/Project.aspx?id=141606

More important Jim....how is Marika?

One of my favorite things to do is when some nimrod comes to camp and has the line and knot that is the end all of all knots and lines is to do a challenge. They get to tie their best know to a broken jig with a big diameter ring and I get to tie the other end. Loser buys beer. I still have the beer.
The knot contest that they did is a static pull test and I have yet to see a yellowtail pull statically. So if you really want to test jerk, pull hard, ease off, pull again, jerk a few times, etc. and try to mimic the yellowtail action and you may get a closer match up to actual fishing conditions.

Pescador - 3-1-2009 at 08:01 PM

Here is some good information about knots, spectra, etc.

http://www.charkbait.com/
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=6
http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/601.html

AcuDoc - 3-1-2009 at 09:54 PM

Whats your thoughts on p-line?

Pescador - 3-2-2009 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
Whats your thoughts on p-line?

If you like it and have confidence in it use it. I have only seen Floroclear in 30 lb test, which would never work where I fish for yellowtail, 50 is considered minimum for fly lined surface fish and reef huggers need at least 60.
I do use floro but only as a small topshot on one of my spectra rigs for those days when they are really showing a picky bite pattern. I prefer Seagaur floro but again I am in the high test range of 50-80 unless I am doing billfish where I use 20-30.
Now try price, 3,000 yds. of P line comes in at $75.99 at Cabelas wheras 5,280 yds. of the same test Big Game comes in at $74.99.
You make the decision but make sure to get out a scale and test the line and knots with the way that you tie them. I never leave home with new line that I have not personally tested. Sportfishing magazine did a line test and they claimed that Cortland Spectra was one, if not the strongest spectra line they tested. Well I buy that wholesale from a supplier so I loaded up on 80 lb. It all tested at 46-48 lbs. which will not work for my situation.
It took me all summer to get Cortland line to replace that spool, but when I first bought Jerry Brown Hollow, they sent me the wrong spool of line which was not hollow, but Jerry Brown had a spool out the next day and paid for the shipping back on his other spool.

castaway$ - 3-3-2009 at 08:29 AM

The P line I was reffering to is spectra braid not the mono, I reallyl ike the braid but have been disappointed in the mono. does anyone else use the braid or have you tested it?
Back to the orignal product of this thread, Cabelas brand, I also have used the flourocarbon leader, It seemed to perform well as far as low vis however the durability was and issue I was really disappointed in. The product is very stiff and brittle and seemed to break easily, I lost several yellowtail then switched back to Seagar.