BajaNomad

Trip report part 3 Asuncion & San Roque

BajaDanD - 2-26-2009 at 09:57 PM

Trip report part 3
Asuncion & San Roque
We arrived in Asuncion around 3:00pm seemed like everyone was sleeping. The street was empty. We found our way to Juan & Shari’s. Inquired about a place to stay and shower. We had to follow Shari around town from one place to another until she finally found a house with nobody home. She snuck in first to check and make sure. She said she was turning on the water heater. OK if you say so. We hadn’t eaten in what seemed like days and had given our only food to the drunk in Visciano. So while the water heater heated we went looking for a place to eat. Shari said she’d meet us for dinner
Shari suggested a place called the Palapa or something like that. We found it on a dirt road on the edge of town. We walked in. The place was packed not an empty seat in the place. One family had taken all the tables and chairs. I never felt so out of place im my life. Everyone stopped eating and looked up at us, a hush fell across the room. Reminded me of that Airline commercial “Want to Get Away” We tried for a few seconds to ask if they could serve us. Got the Smile. Decided they were having a hard enough time feeding that large group so we left to find food elsewhere. We ended up at I think its called Ramona’s across from the police station. I ordered fish and Barb ordered carne asada. We were able to order with the help of a young Mexican kid and a lot of smiling and nodding. Felt like I was playing charades. Somehow Juan and Shari were able to find us amongst all the places we could have gone to eat in town and joined us.
After dinner we snuck into that house and showered.
Shari decided we should stay in San Roque because we had Hank with us and she didn’t want him eating any of her neighbors. So off we went to San Roque but not before grabbing a few of Shari’s neighbors so Hank would have something to eat while we were out there.
We had to find our way to the house in San Roque by ourselves. Well which %$@&%^$ing way am I supposed to go at the fork in the road. Again I went straight. Again I was wrong. Whenever you are driving down a washboard road in Baja and you see a dirt road running along side, you need to be on the side road that’s why it’s there. No one told me this. I had visions of getting lost out in the desert somewhere, out of gas, water and food, looking at a Y in the road. We somehow found the house in San Roque just before the sun went down.
There are no lights out there. It gets dark fast out there, really dark. There’s no electricity just some batteries that Shari gave us to bring out there. Since it was so ^%$#@&%^ing dark, we couldn’t find where to hook them up. We had a flashlight but the darkness just sucked the light right out it. We somehow found a bed to sleep on and called it a night. I hadn’t gone to bed that early in years.
We woke up to the scariest sound. There were little squeaky noises in the kitchen. I think it’s a kitchen. I never could see it well enough to tell. Anyway, There were three not so blind mice stealing food out of Hanks bowl. For a minute he just sat there watching, then he barked. They just looked up nodded their heads and gave him That Smile. My flashlight went dead. We laid there listening to the noisy little mouse party for hours. They invited all their friends over. Sometime just before sunrise the party ended, the music stopped and all the little mice stumbled home.
Sat Feb 21
I woke up early sat morning planning to take my kayak out to do some fishing. I spent hours searching the house for the bathroom. Have you seen that house, there are so many rooms, one of them must be a bathroom. I never did find it though. I did find a little shack out back that gave me a little privacy.

Fish report to come next

Morning @ San Roque

[Edited on 2-27-2009 by BajaDanD]

Mex Feb2009 125.jpg - 39kB

Bajaboy - 2-26-2009 at 10:31 PM

Interesting report...I think:o

Martyman - 2-26-2009 at 10:46 PM

Aren't those baja mice what we call kangaroo rats northside? They love to party and usually invite a crowd

BajaDanD - 2-26-2009 at 10:52 PM

Kangaroo rats indeed

desertcpl - 2-27-2009 at 07:16 PM

love the reports,, just great,, very funny,, cant wait for the next one

Russ - 2-27-2009 at 08:37 PM

When they put on a sombrero (sp?) and start chasing the dog or cat around singing a funny tune I'd say they're into more than the dog food.

Paulina - 2-27-2009 at 11:31 PM

:D What great fun!

Did Hank invite his party pals over again the next night?
I can't wait to get our pup, then we can meet up there sometime and terrorize the town.

P<*)))>{

Mouse party

BajaDanD - 2-27-2009 at 11:46 PM

No they didnt come back the next night I think they were still hung over from the night before. They did come back the last night we were there but they seamed a little groggy.

Lauriboats - 2-28-2009 at 07:38 PM

When were you in Bahia Asuncion? The last time we tried to have dinner at the Palapa she had turned it into a hair salon/shoe store, just wondering if she was back serving food. Sounds like the mice had a great party thanks to Hank leaving food in his dish, guess he wasn't hungery after eating Shari's neighbors.:lol: Nice picture of Roque, hope you had a good day fishing.

Sallysouth - 2-28-2009 at 09:09 PM

I'm lovin this Dan!!Hank is a great dog for sharing.Why does he prefer Shari's neighbors over his food?hmmmm...and why were the meeses hung over?Fun stuff, keep em comin'!!!:lol:

shari - 3-1-2009 at 08:51 AM

The Palapa restaurant is now back to being a restaurant because the highway crew have contracted her to feed them all....the beauty salon has moved back into Sorayda's living room again....dont miss the Sopes!

mulegemichael - 3-1-2009 at 09:20 AM

shari...yer up and running????...we heard you were sick for the whales AND yer b'day...