BajaNomad

Clams

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 08:51 AM

anyone know where to dig for clams between rosarito and ensenada?

thanks, diana

:?:

is it not illegal for Amercians to clam?

BajaVida - 2-28-2009 at 08:53 AM

I am not assuming you are American.

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaVida
I am not assuming you are American.

american, soon to be mexican...:spingrin:

Woooosh - 2-28-2009 at 09:29 AM

well- I've posteds this topic before. WHat I got back was : clamming is legal for Mexicans only and you don't want to eat the ones between rosarito and ensenada anyway.

dtbushpilot - 2-28-2009 at 09:34 AM

When I suggested that clamming in remote places wasn't a big deal I was made the object of ridicule and scorn by some of my Nomad bretheren (sisteren).

I agree with woooosh, I wouldn't eat the clams in that area either....dt

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
well- I've posteds this topic before. WHat I got back was : clamming is legal for Mexicans only and you don't want to eat the ones between rosarito and ensenada anyway.

well, that settles that...now are there any eateries that serve fried clams? i'm from new england where as a child i dug clams and ate them fried all the time.*sigh*

Clams???

bajaguy - 2-28-2009 at 09:40 AM

What you are looking for is Quohogs

Bob H - 2-28-2009 at 09:46 AM

I don't know of any place that serves fried clams.... however, you can get the best barbequed clams (Almejas al Carbon) at Cocteleria Mazatlan in Ensenada - on 10th Avenue across from the bus station. Ask anyone in town, they will know. You must also try their Osteones al Carbon (bbq'd oysters). Not too sure about the spelling of osteones... Lots of garlic and cheese, and other things, on these creations. To die for!

Here is an old thread on this place...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16289#pid1395...

Bob H

[Edited on 2-28-2009 by Bob H]

David K - 2-28-2009 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I don't know of any place that serves fried clams.... however, you can get the best barbequed clams (Almejas al Carbon) at c-cktieleria Mazatlan in Ensenada - on 10th Avenue across from the bus station. Ask anyone in town, they will know. You must also try their Osteones al Carbon (bbq'd oysters). Not too sure about the spelling of osteones... Lots of garlic and cheese, and other things, on these creations. To die for!
Bob H

Oh God, yes!

6-11-05 006-r.JPG - 38kB

David K - 2-28-2009 at 09:52 AM

Yes, yes...

6-11-05 005-r.JPG - 46kB

David K - 2-28-2009 at 09:52 AM

Yes, yes , yes!!!

6-11-05 016-r.JPG - 43kB

David K - 2-28-2009 at 09:53 AM

Thanks Bob and Audrey for inviting us to join you guys there!

6-11-05 013-r.JPG - 44kB

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I don't know of any place that serves fried clams.... however, you can get the best barbequed clams (Almejas al Carbon) at Cocteleria Mazatlan in Ensenada - on 10th Avenue across from the bus station. Ask anyone in town, they will know. You must also try their Osteones al Carbon (bbq'd oysters). Not too sure about the spelling of osteones... Lots of garlic and cheese, and other things, on these creations. To die for!

Here is an old thread on this place...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16289#pid1395...

Bob H

[Edited on 2-28-2009 by Bob H]

read that past thread re clamming and sure hope this thread ends on a happier note...cause i'm a lover, not a fighter.

well, off to cocteleria...yummy!!!:spingrin:

David K - 2-28-2009 at 10:03 AM

You won't be sorry!;D

6-11-05 014-R.JPG - 45kB

Woooosh - 2-28-2009 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji
Quote:

well, that settles that...now are there any eateries that serve fried clams? i'm from new england where as a child i dug clams and ate them fried all the time.*sigh*

Whole belly fried clams! Nantasket Beach. Yum. Yes, you are indeed from New England- everyone else knows and eats only "clam strips". I've never seen whole-belly fried clams or any other fried clams in Baja Norte. Not sure why.

Although I don't clam myself, I do buy them sometimes from my neighbors who do. I don't eat the local ones raw- but I do grind the large Quohaugs up to make baked stuffed clams.

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whole belly fried clams! Nantasket Beach. Yum. Yes, you are indeed from New England- everyone else knows and eats only "clam strips". I've never seen whole-belly fried clams or any other fried clams in Baja Norte. Not sure why.

Although I don't clam myself, I do buy them sometimes from my neighbors who do. I don't eat the local ones raw- but I do grind the large Quohaugs up to make baked stuffed clams.

it's cause i haven't arrived yet. i will meet and become friends with the owner of a baja eaterie and ask him/her if they can just dip them in flour or breadcrumbs and they will have a best seller...yes! yes! yes!

and yeah, i sure miss the maine lobster stuffed with lobster too!:bounce:.

castaway$ - 2-28-2009 at 10:43 AM

Its a little farther south but the chocolate clams that santiago makes at Restaurant Playa Pichulingue are killer and the atmosphere isn't to bad either.

Woooosh - 2-28-2009 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it's cause i haven't arrived yet. i will meet and become friends with the owner of a baja eaterie and ask him/her if they can just dip them in flour or breadcrumbs and they will have a best seller...yes! yes! yes!

and yeah, i sure miss the maine lobster stuffed with lobster too!:bounce:.

You will always miss the "real" lobster. The local critters are not the same in species or taste. Lobster rolls? Nada aqui.

CostCo sometimes gets bags of live Maine "steamer clams" which can be shucked and used for frying. I'm glad peolpe had places for baked, bbq and stuffed clams and oysters- but as you know- there's nothing like a whole belly fried clam.

[Edited on 2-28-2009 by Woooosh]

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
You will always miss the "real" lobster. The local critters are the same in species or taste. Lobster rolls? Nada aqui.

CostCo sometimes gets live Maine "steamer clams" which can be shucked and used for frying. I'm glad peolpe had places for baked, bbq and stuffed clams and oysters- but as you know- there's nothing like a whole belly fried clam.

are u saying fried clams cannot be made with clams from baja? there is a stand in la fonda that sells fish tacos and i asked her if they had fried clam tacos, and she held up a clam and asked if i meant that and then said yes. perhaps she couldn't understand what i wanted. next time i will ask her to make one. also, there is a restaurant across the street from maganas and i was told she would have whatever her to make...we shall see.:biggrin:

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 11:14 AM

how do u say fried clams in spanish? frito clam???

Ken Bondy - 2-28-2009 at 11:17 AM

Almejas fritas. There is a small place at the side of the road a few miles south of Ensenada called Mariscos Sinaloaense that does magical things with osteones and almejas. Don't know if it's still there but it should be :)

mulegemichael - 2-28-2009 at 12:04 PM

almeja frito

bajaguy - 2-28-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Almejas fritas. There is a small place at the side of the road a few miles south of Ensenada called Mariscos Sinaloaense that does magical things with osteones and almejas. Don't know if it's still there but it should be :)

Hey, Ken....any better directions or maybe a photo????

Dave - 2-28-2009 at 12:30 PM

Quote:

'Bobby's by the Sea' serves fried clams.

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 12:40 PM

Quote:

it might help to know where that is. and thanks.:?:

Dave - 2-28-2009 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

it might help to know where that is. and thanks.:?:

KM43 free road Rosarito-Ensenada.

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 12:56 PM

so, that's where i'll stop on my way down... i hate to admit this, and please, i'm a newbie. will it say KM43 on the side of the road?:(

Probably not

Dave - 2-28-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
will it say KM43 on the side of the road?:(

It will say 'Bobby's by the Sea". Not every kilometer is marked. It's less than 1/8th mile south of the Puerto Nuevo toll road exit. Ocean side of the free road.

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
It will say 'Bobby's by the Sea". Not every kilometer is marked. It's less than 1/8th mile south of the Puerto Nuevo toll road exit. Ocean side of the free road.

well, that helps...i'll send a report after i check them out. can't wait! thanks!!!:spingrin:

fernando - 2-28-2009 at 01:54 PM

Hi Diana you can also dig them at the mercado negro in ensenada. I usually buy mine there and are good quality (chocolatas are good) and you prepare them the way you want. Also if you like mussels there is aquaculture ones called aqualap just behind the mercado negro and they have a restaurant (muelle 13) under the procesing plant. You can buy them there ask for Juan Carlos

Fernando

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fernando
Hi Diana you can also dig them at the mercado negro in ensenada. I usually buy mine there and are good quality (chocolatas are good) and you prepare them the way you want. Also if you like mussels there is aquaculture ones called aqualap just behind the mercado negro and they have a restaurant (muelle 13) under the procesing plant. You can buy them there ask for Juan Carlos

Fernando

well, i see i will be busy...i have written notes about all of the places to go. must remember to bring a large cooler...and of course will remember what i can or cannot bring back.

again, i love this forum...a community in itself.

Woooosh - 2-28-2009 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

well, that helps...i'll send a report after i check them out. can't wait! thanks!!!:spingrin:

You can fry oysters too, but I think she is looking for a New England style fried whole-belly clam. The clams used are small soft-shell clams with long necks- they are very sweet.

The big ones get tough if you fry them. I'm looking forward to her follow-up report. I'll bet it's like searching for a san diego style carne asada burrito in Phoenix.

BajaNuts - 2-28-2009 at 06:20 PM

dianaji- regarding km43 and other km markings along the road,

MX1 is pretty well marked with km markers like mileage markers in the US, but you can't guarantee the one you want will be there. But you'll know to be watching from km40 on out and it won't be hard to find most places. Where it could be difficult is if you were looking for a dirt track to the beach and it was at km 87.3.......that kind of thing.....

take lots of pics!

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
dianaji- regarding km43 and other km markings along the road,

MX1 is pretty well marked with km markers like mileage markers in the US, but you can't guarantee the one you want will be there. But you'll know to be watching from km40 on out and it won't be hard to find most places. Where it could be difficult is if you were looking for a dirt track to the beach and it was at km 87.3.......that kind of thing.....

take lots of pics!

thanks, i was wondering what the markers meant... i have so much to learn and having fun doing it...also finding new foods, nurseries

and yes, i will try that bobby's by the sea...how can i resist. ever since moving from miami many years ago, i have not found one good place for fried clams...they were also good there, along with the lobster. and the cuban food was absolutely unforgettable.

pictures of what? clams???

BajaNuts - 2-28-2009 at 06:34 PM

food. travel, rooms, people, everything.....

check your u2u
Ann

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 06:46 PM

hi ann,

read your u2u...will repond when i get back from a pot luck...american style, u know, hotdogs, hanburgers, beans, etc.

thanks!

dianaji - 2-28-2009 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
will repond when i get back from a pot luck...american style, u know, hotdogs, hanburgers, beans, etc.

thanks!

well, i was wrong...I went to the pot luck At first I thought it would be a typical American thing...and to my surprise they had chicken wings, a huge plate of shrimp, guacamole, chips, oriental dishes, fried rice, empanadas, salads, whipped cream cakes and pies, strawberries dipped chocolate, much more...the food kept coming in. There was tons of liquor, lots of tequila! Maybe I should drink after all...
There were people from different countries, Japan, Korea, Chile, u name it. The peaple were very nice, conventional types (no new agers, just me). The sweet oriental girls were so nice and cordial, polite and friendly. All in all it was a great party.

Sharksbaja - 3-1-2009 at 12:11 AM

Quote:

There were people from different countries, Japan, Korea, Chile, u name it.

Mexico?:lol:

dianaji - 3-1-2009 at 07:50 AM

no, san marcos, ca...the place i'm longing to leave!:barf:

biglar - 3-1-2009 at 08:45 AM

If the clams from Rosarito to Ensenada shouldn't be eaten, (I wouldn't eat them,either) then you want to make very sure where the local restaurants in that area get their clams. I'd be willing to bet a fair chunk of change that they buy them locally. Why would they buy imported clams for 100 pesos when they can buy locally from their friends for 70 pesos ??

Twice in the past I've run into a situation (in the U.S.) where local products were polluted and local people would get angry and red in the face if anyone dared suggest anything was wrong with the product. "I've been eating them all along, and I'm fine," is a typical response.

Lar.

Woooosh - 3-1-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by biglar
If the clams from Rosarito to Ensenada shouldn't be eaten, (I wouldn't eat them,either) then you want to make very sure where the local restaurants in that area get their clams. I'd be willing to bet a fair chunk of change that they buy them locally. Why would they buy imported clams for 100 pesos when they can buy locally from their friends for 70 pesos ??

Twice in the past I've run into a situation (in the U.S.) where local products were polluted and local people would get angry and red in the face if anyone dared suggest anything was wrong with the product. "I've been eating them all along, and I'm fine," is a typical response.

Lar.

I think Mexicans have built an immunity to a lot of the nasty things that make gringos sick from things like bad water or contaminated seafood.

They import much of the lobsters (in frozen form) tourists enjoy at Puerto Nuevo- so why not the clams?