BajaNomad

Asuncion

El Comadante Loco - 3-1-2009 at 08:35 AM

I fished Asuncion last October, caught some nice yellow tail and yellow fin. Have they finished paving the road? I noticed in October that there appeared to be a small hotel being constructed as you enter town does anyone know if it has being completed...

Thanks

shari - 3-1-2009 at 08:46 AM

buenos dias comandante...work on the road began last week again with another 6km I think being paved over the next 6 months...i heard...so there will be nice new pavement by fishing season but not all the way to town yet...but probably next year they will finish the last stretch.
The hotel is yet another baja story of a nice construction being left half done. It was actually a big project 42 room! Several rumors indicate lack of funding...investors backed out or something like that...maybe Antonio could buy it and put another Baja Cactus in!!

BirdDog - 3-1-2009 at 10:16 AM

Who cares about the road when the fishing is so good?

David K - 3-1-2009 at 10:51 AM

Bad Roads = Good People

Good Roads = All Kinds of People!

Be careful what you wish for...

Lauriboats - 3-1-2009 at 11:43 AM

I do!!!! Great news about the road Shari.

Quote:
Originally posted by BirdDog
Who cares about the road when the fishing is so good?

Skip_Mac - 3-2-2009 at 11:18 AM

Fishing this last week included the one yellowtail but at least two late (humbolt?) squid and lots of bottom fish. Calicoes and halibut from the shore. All in all a wonderful experience with local guides for a newbie to ocean fishing. Nice to have an alternative to high Sierra trout, now that the salmon runs have gone critical.

Asuncion is a wonderful, relaxed and comfortable town. Great people, full and part time residents. I will count the days till I can get back.

I hope the paved road does not change the town too fast. I managed the road in a Pruis (47 mpg average Berkeley to Asuncion). The traction control took care of the sand with some slowing down, driving the washboard was a bit more challenging but the POTHOLES in the paved portions of the road were the tire busting risk. I dodged nearly everything but the topes in Guerro Negro scraped my bottom every time. So it is doable with even a small car now, but perhaps not to an inexperienced offroad driver in a low clearance vehicle.

Also looking forward to getting back to do all the things I missed out on this time, kayaking, snorkeling and exploring the fossil beds. What geology I could spend time on, was fascinating.

Thanks to Share, Juan and all the helpful, friendly residents.

shari - 3-2-2009 at 04:48 PM

skip, we really enjoyed seeing you again after so long and glad you liked it here...thanks so much for all the fantastic treats you brought us...by the way, i'm still sick in bed now with that nasty virus thing that got everybody but me...till now...i'm pretty grumpy with a horrific cough, headache, eyesache and well..just achy all over....boo hoo.