BajaNomad

East side of SOC?

55steve - 3-7-2009 at 08:30 PM

I've noticed this area as well on flights between TJ and Puerto Vallarta - I'm hoping someone has tested this area out!

Hook - 3-8-2009 at 06:30 AM

My sense is the area is mostly avoided as it is a lee shore with shoaling in many areas. None of the cruising books I've read describe it at all except at Topolobampo. Most cruisers headed south head for the protection of Baja and then make a straight shot towards Mazatlan from La Paz or Cabo.

The other thing is that some of this is in Sinaloa, a major drug producing and smuggling state as well as home to some enclaves of native indigenous peoples that dont particularly like outsiders.

There used to be a guy who posted occasional reports out of Huatabampo on mexfish. He'd do OK on bottom fish and occasionally dorado in the summer. Dont remember if he ever caught tuna. I think he was using local pangas but it might have been a shallow draft craft of his own.

Sorry, cant help much except to say that I hope to begin exploring it more by land in April. I expect I might hire a panga or two in the process.

[Edited on 3-8-2009 by Hook]

Pescador - 3-9-2009 at 11:34 AM

When I was younger, my parents had a place in Guaymas and then later at San Carlos. I used to fish quite a ways south of Guymas from Enpalme towards Culican and Hook is right, it is a disaster for shoals and sand bars. You really need to know what you are doing in that area and a local guide is important. The sailboats all go way off shore from Mazatlan to Guaymas. You can get some good info on sailing that area and they pretty much avoid anything within 5 10 miles of shoreline.

Skipjack Joe - 3-9-2009 at 12:10 PM

I can no longer remember the movie but essentially a group of treasure hunters had found a sunken ship with gold dubloons they were going to bring up and become rich.

Unfortunately their whereabouts had been discovered by some local 'pirates' in the Caribbean who were suspecting that our heros were on to something.

Pirate: 'You guys have been diving off this spot for a long time. How much gold have you found', grinning.

'Nothing', nervously, 'Couldn't find a damn thing'.

Pirate, after a long whistle: 'That much, eh?'.

Santiago, me thinks your area is worth investigating.

[Edited on 3-9-2009 by Skipjack Joe]