BajaNomad

Nomad's Whale watching trip

EnseNADAslim - 3-2-2009 at 07:10 PM

This trip is actually Shari's B-day trip but she got sick and could not join us. Funny thing is that most of us really did not know each other before this trip but soon enough we were all Whale Watching Buddies. Skip got us there and Brenda make sure we all held on to our Positive Whale thoughts, however all I could think of was Captain Ahab:no:,,,,no not really I did my best and I think it worked as both Kathy and Brenda got to touch a whale that hung out with us,,,,well he hung out with another boat and we got to tag along. Never,,,Ever,,again will I pay to go whale watching in the States----Whale watching in Baja is the only way to go!

Here's Skip on the bow of the boat having a Awwweeesome time

Debbie and Brenda

Our lovely couple Kurt and Kathy. This was Kathy's first time out whale watching

This guy got so close Brenda and Kathy got to touch him.

Here are some shots Deb got of a Breach

This one is cool, ya can see his eye

And just so you all know, this was not a Whale of a Tail!

We dedicate these pictures and memories to dear Shari, and I guess next year we'll have to go out twice to make up for this last trip. Hope you are feeling better Shari,,
Happy Birthday!!

shari - 3-2-2009 at 07:32 PM

thanks for reminding me what I missed Slim! boo hoo...well, I'm still sick but got up to do this little trip report too....hope you dont mind me highjacking yours...
So...friday morning Juan decides he's gonna put the tuberia from the new pila to the casa...uh huh...OK...

so meanwhile, i talked our amigos David and Nancy into coming with us because we decided to stay in a hotel because Juan was sick. So off to a late start but in very high spirits we merrily rolled into Guerrero Negro to find the other Nomads that had gathered for this event.

We got a room at Brenda's hotel...San Ignacio...very nice double room, big, clean with awesome pillows in a nice little courtyard for 300 pesos I think it was...as did the others in our group.(was gonna take photos but was busy throwing up)

We rendevoused at Santo Remedio where we had to quickly get more table setting as our little group turned out to be pretty big...in attendance were Juan and I, David & Nancy (Bahia Galeria fame), Red Mesas, skipmac, Kurt y esposa, Brenda the newfound whale naturalist and her adorable lanchero date, and Mr.& Mrs.Ensenada Slim.

Well, we were so busy chattering i guess I didnt notice David refilling my wine glass often...we ordered lovely food...at least I thought it was delicious as it went down.....but not so nice on the way up.
We think it may have been the mole which was VERY rich...could have been the jug wine though...although I'm still sick 3 days later. we chose Santo Remedio this year instead of our old standby Las Cazuelas because Mr.Redmesa got sick last year there....I ordered the luscious lions paw scallops...which maybe were just a bit too rich with the vino??

It was a really fun time with everyone getting to know each other...and the mariachis even played Las Mananitas for me.....LOVE that!

Suddenly Nancy didn't feel well and had to be taken back to the hotel quickly and I wasn't feeling so great myself but hung in there. To make a very sad story short...I missed the whale trip entirely but am ever so glad that the gang had a good time....sooooo sorry amigos. Special thanks to Nancy and David for looking after me so well through my ordeal.

But there is a moral to this story....no more jug wine and rich food...I'm eating at taco stands from now on....and off alcohol for....well...awhile anyway. I am enjoying my oatmeal and suero these days though...I have vowed to give up alcohol for lent and next year maybe we should have the dinner AFTER the whale trip!!!

We will be attempting a second birthday bash this weekend at Nancy and Davids Galeria Bahia in Asuncion if anyone is in the neighbourhood...drop by...just dont bring jug wine!

[Edited on 3-3-2009 by shari]

EnseNADAslim - 3-2-2009 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
So...friday morning Juan decides he's gonna put the tuberia from the new pila to the casa...uh huh...OK...

Juan is my kind of Dude, I do that to Deb all the time, so yea, I hear the "did you have to start that now??"
Your Thread High Jacking only adds flavor to the soup--(note how I did not say Molé):smug: That was very romantic of Juan to bring them thar Mariaches over to sing to you.

KurtG - 3-3-2009 at 09:03 AM

Slim, thanks for posting the photos. We had a great time and since this was Kathy's first whale trip getting to touch the whale TWICE was a big deal. The dinner party was great, some old friends and made some new ones. After we came in from whale watching we still had all afternoon free so drove south and went up to San Francisco de la Sierra where I had doen the mule trip to Arroyo San Pablo cave paintings a few years ago. No caves this time, just great mountain scenery. Then back to GN and our "suite" at the Dunas. Basic comfortable room for 200 pesos. Headed north Sunday with a detour into Mision San Borja. The drive in was spectacular because of the recent rain. The
Boojums and Elephant Trees had lots of greenery and wildflowers were popping out everywhere. I had last been at Borja in 2000 when the restoration work was in progress. Didn't realize it had been that long until I started talking with Jenaro, the young guy who was showing us around, and realized that it had been him and his brother who I had met there as young boys nine or ten years ago. We then pressed on to San Quintin where for a change of pace I thought we should stay at the Old Mill. Most expensive room of the trip at $42US, a nice room but the bed had a definate sag in the middle which wasn't real comfortable. The proprietor there suggested Don Eddy's for dinner so we tried it. Worst meal of our trip and most expensive. I won't go into detail but everything on the plate was mediocre to downright bad. Yes, I know, Jardines was just down the road and better food and lodging was nearby in San Quintin and in future trips I'll stick to my favorites there. Did the final 600+ miles home yesterday. This was one of the shortest Baja trips I have ever done but we packed a lot into 5 days. Shari, we were stopped alongside the road by Laguneros when you and Juan went by on your way home but saw you too late to flag you down. Glad you're feeling better and missed you on the whale trip. It was a great time! As I mentioned, I will be back down on the bike within the next month and then Kathy and I will be doing a longer trip after Easter.

Slim and Debby, it was great meeting you both and we'll look forward to seeing you in Ensenada or on your trip up this way.

EnseNADAslim - 3-3-2009 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Slim and Debby, it was great meeting you both and we'll look forward to seeing you in Ensenada or on your trip up this way.

Sounds like you had a great trip home and we're excited for Kathy and her first trip down. Sorry we didn't pull over after that check point but we had a leaky tire and we were racing for a Llantera, which we found at the next town. Plus I'm not sure if they like road side meetings at check points :mad:
Do drop by on your way down on your next trip--fish tacos, our treat!