BajaNomad

Classy restaurant in Estero Beach area???

Baja&Back - 3-15-2009 at 07:30 AM

Any locals able to recommend a medium to upscale place with nice decor for a group supper around Estero Beach? We are getting quite bored with the quality & selection at the Estero Beach hotel restaurant. It has steadily declined every year, and we're looking for something better within 4 or 5 miles for our caravan's "Last Supper".
Thx.

Bajahowodd - 3-15-2009 at 04:24 PM

Classy to upscale isn't going to happen near there. That being said, i don't now your definition of those terms. Mario's, which used to be very close to the hotel, has a new location on the turnoff to La Bufadora, in Maneadero. Frankly, if this doesn't work for you, you're going to have to treck back into the downtown area of Ensenada. Personally, I think the Estero Beach Hotel Restaurant, has always been way too gringo, and after a long period of declining occupancy, they are forced to cut back even more.

bajaguy - 3-15-2009 at 04:39 PM

I would rcommend Sano's, on the same side of the highway, Ensenada side of the Coral Hotel.

Outstanding meals and service....upscale

Bajahowodd - 3-15-2009 at 04:41 PM

Near Estero Beach????

bajaguy - 3-15-2009 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Near Estero Beach????

Nope, as you pointed out, nothing "classy" near Estero beach. This is on the highway as you enter town from the north.

Worth the drive

[Edited on 3-15-2009 by bajaguy]

Bajahowodd - 3-15-2009 at 04:46 PM

Is it at the Coral? Or separate?

bajaguy - 3-15-2009 at 04:48 PM

Between the Coral and the turnoff for the tourist route of Hwy 1

If you are headed north to the toll road and before the first toll booth, make a u-turn at the Coral hotel and head back to central Ensenada, it's about a quarter mile towards downtown Ensenada from the Coral, on the same side of the hwy as the Coral (your right)

[Edited on 3-15-2009 by bajaguy]

BajaNomad - 3-15-2009 at 05:24 PM

What happened to Cueva de los Tigres on Playa Hermosa?

-
Doug

BajaNomad - 3-15-2009 at 05:28 PM

For consideration - though it's back to town (the southern part however) is Halioti's (sp?). Haven't been here for a while either, but assume it's still there. (??)

cueva de los tigres

sylens - 3-15-2009 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

-
Doug

is loooong gone. been gone at least 8 years:o

Sallysouth - 3-15-2009 at 07:06 PM

Haliotas is a local favorite, not so much catering to tourists. They have a website but I can't find the card.Excellent Abulone, very intimate ambience and wonderful, personal service.Can't imagine they are closed.

Sallysouth - 3-15-2009 at 07:13 PM

Just did a Google search, came up with ensenada.com/haliotas//html.I highly recommend this place for your group or anyone!Classy and great food! try the almejas for your appetizer.yum!

DENNIS - 3-15-2009 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

-
Doug

They just recently demolished the building. In it's day, it was one of the class-acts of the area...great Abalone. Kind of an architects blunder since, before piling up breakwater boulders in front, the waves would get large and blow the windows out of the dining room. No extra charge for the entertainment.

[Edited on 3-16-2009 by DENNIS]

Sallysouth - 3-15-2009 at 08:28 PM

Boy, I remember those days Dennis!The Abalone was great, until they started to try to substitute it with Squid.I was there one night, long ago, when the waves blew thru the dining room! What a Hoot!Lots of great times, huge parties,lots of fun there! Do I know you??

DENNIS - 3-15-2009 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Do I know you??

Maybe....I don't know. Twenty years ago around here, everybody knew everybody or we thought we did.

Sallysouth - 3-15-2009 at 08:39 PM

We probably do but don't want to let anyone know!!! I was there 20 yrs ago and more.....:dudette:

lizard lips - 3-15-2009 at 08:52 PM

La Cueva de Los Tigres closed because they continued to serve Squid instead of Abalone and the fines from what I heard were very expensive.

I had my 50th birthday party there a few years ago. The owners were renting the restaurant out for parties. It was a great place with good food but I never ordered the Abalone.....

DENNIS - 3-15-2009 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
La Cueva de Los Tigres closed because they continued to serve Squid instead of Abalone and the fines from what I heard were very expensive.

I had my 50th birthday party there a few years ago. The owners were renting the restaurant out for parties. It was a great place with good food but I never ordered the Abalone.....

The owner's name was Guillermo something or other. Don't know where he is today. He opened another classy restaurant over in Playas Ensenada near Valmar hospital in a residential neighborhood. [They don't care what you do here]
He put the place together in a new, two story house and gave it a French name which I don't recall. It may still be there. It was a big success but, look what he did with his other big success.
I never heard about the Squid Switch. Good for whoever caught it.

DENNIS - 3-16-2009 at 07:15 AM

Back to the point....
A few miles up HWY 1, in the WalMart shopping center is VIPS. I ate there once and thought it was pretty good. Lots of parking for caravaners.
That said, in the same center is Applebees and everybody knows the problems with that but, it's always fun to trash them anyway. Shoot your best shot.

bajabound2005 - 3-16-2009 at 07:37 AM

Manzanilla recently reopened in their new location, about 2 blocks past the immigration office in Ensenada. This is one of Benito Molino's restaurants; he's an excellent chef. Also, La Embotelladora Vieja at 7th & Miramar is excellent. Haliotis, as suggested above, is the closest to Estero Beach - it's nice but their menu needs serious "updating". There is another place we've not yet been to called 5 Sabores. It's on the main street, Costero, on the water side. Looks interesting. Also, Ofelia's in the El Sauzel area on Mex 1 gets high marks.

As stated by the others, there is nothing in Estero Beach.

What day of the week? Choices may be made for you by that!

Bajahowodd - 3-16-2009 at 10:27 AM

Interesting that no one mentioned El Rey Sol, in the heart of town. Classy room, piano music. French menu. Big wine selection.

DENNIS - 3-16-2009 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Interesting that no one mentioned El Rey Sol, in the heart of town. Classy room, piano music. French menu. Big wine selection.

These folks are in an RV caravan and parking has to be a consideration. I do, however, agree with your recommendation.

Bajahowodd - 3-16-2009 at 03:53 PM

Got it. Then, for that matter, Las Cazuelas has a fairly big lot behind the building. Nice family Mexican atmosphere. And they have various size rooms that can put your party together, yet alone.

And btw, Dennis, Vips is a Walmart company. They are co-located all over Mexico. Their food is good, more like Sanborn's than gourmet. There is something oxymarooonic between the title of this thread and eating at Walmart, however.

[Edited on 3-16-2009 by Bajahowodd]

bajabound2005 - 3-16-2009 at 04:28 PM

I would recommend this group leave the RVs at Estero and take taxis into town. No problem with parking, drinking, driving. Then, they can go ANYWHERE!

DENNIS - 3-16-2009 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Then, they can go ANYWHERE!

Give them your address. No...let me do it.
Vince and Kathleen....Rancho Packard.....#......

bajaguy - 3-16-2009 at 05:40 PM

Actually, that would be the BEST place to eat!!!!!

bajabound2005 - 3-16-2009 at 05:52 PM

Yes, it would, but it doesn't fill the request of a "classy" place!

DENNIS - 3-16-2009 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, it would, but it doesn't fill the request of a "classy" place!

Who eats "class?"

Baja&Back - 3-16-2009 at 09:11 PM

Hey, thanks you guys for the replies. Really helps.

Yes, Doug, I fondly remember la Cueva for a very romantic dinner in 1970! It was "way outa town" back then.

postholedigger - 3-17-2009 at 04:06 PM

La Finca located on the primera in the vicinity of the San Nicholas Hotel has been good to me. Perhaps not classy enough though?

tripledigitken - 3-17-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Is it at the Coral? Or separate?

I believe it (Sanos) is at KM 108+-

Ken

[Edited on 3-17-2009 by tripledigitken]

Bajahowodd - 3-17-2009 at 04:49 PM

La Finca. Isn't that on the Costera just before the turn up Sanguines?

postholedigger - 3-17-2009 at 05:00 PM

Yeah, sorry I wasn't too sure about what the road was called. I used to make the walk from San Nicholas Hotel.

sylens - 3-17-2009 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
La Finca. Isn't that on the Costera just before the turn up Sanguines?

la finca has changed their hours. no longer open for dinner. just from 7am to 4pm...

Bajahowodd - 3-17-2009 at 11:41 PM

That really doesn't bode well for their future. A steakhouse that is not open for dinner??? Also interesting as far as posthole is concerned. When staying at San Nicolas, you are only two blocks from Bronco's Steakhouse. Just in the opposite direction.

EnseNADAslim - 3-18-2009 at 12:03 AM

If you'd like seafood I'd suggest Bahia Ensenada. It's just off of 1st street in the down town tourist section. They serve a Great Garlic shrimp, my favorite dish there. They just remolded the upstairs room and they have some huge fish tanks there and it's very nice. We got a little tour of it before it was done and we're kind of like family with them due to the fact that they adopted a very large gold fish that we had.
If ya want a nice place and some great seafood I'd go there.
Oh yea, they also have a large lot in the back for parking.

larryC - 4-9-2009 at 07:56 AM

Just tried and loved Pampas restaurant on the southern end of the Malecon in Ensenada. A salad bar that will knock your socks off and then skewered meats are brought to your table until you ask them to stop. Its all you can eat and the food was delicious. Not too expensive dinner for 2 including tip was $34usd, no drinks.
Larry

KurtG - 4-9-2009 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnseNADAslim
If you'd like seafood I'd suggest Bahia Ensenada. It's just off of 1st street in the down town tourist section. They serve a Great Garlic shrimp, my favorite dish there. They just remolded the upstairs room and they have some huge fish tanks there and it's very nice. We got a little tour of it before it was done and we're kind of like family with them due to the fact that they adopted a very large gold fish that we had.

Thats been a favorite of mine for many years.

larry - 4-9-2009 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by EnseNADAslim

Thats been a favorite of mine for many years.

I have to agree guys--this has been one of my favorite restaurants for a number of years. I always order the shrimp, octopus and calamari combo in garlic sauce.

bajabound2005 - 4-10-2009 at 05:11 PM

I wonder where they ended up going?

DENNIS - 4-10-2009 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
I wonder where they ended up going?

They're in the back of a U-HAUL van, cruising the highways and byways of Baja. :P

bajabound2005 - 4-10-2009 at 08:18 PM

that was helpful...not.

Bajahowodd - 4-10-2009 at 11:38 PM

Better than being in the back of a refrigerated meat truck.:lol: