BajaNomad

moto ride from Puertocitos to BOLA via 07 B1K race course

steekers - 3-17-2009 at 10:17 PM

There were 4 of us on motos that rode from Puertocitos to BOLA via Gonzaga Bay, Cocos, Calamajue Wash, El Crucero and the rest of the 2007 SCORE Baja 1000 race course.

What a awesome trip it was! We got stuck in the Calamajue Wash canyon due to lots of tall, green grass that covered up potential natural booby-traps. Coco had alerted us that other moto riders that went blasting through sunk in like quicksand! We went through with caution, and had to lift the bikes up and over large boulders. One of us (Jim) got a hugh nail in the tire and patches weren't enough. Good thing one of us (John) had a spare tube but we didn't know it until many hours later. Jim ended up riding on the flat tire for many miles out of the canyon. We got to BOLA late and very hungry.

The trip back we covered more beautiful BAJA and had no more tire issues. Next year we will repeat this AND add on to the mileage.

Will post the photos soon.

David K - 3-18-2009 at 09:22 AM

Looking forward to the photos steekers!

XRPhlang - 3-18-2009 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
There were 4 of us on motos that rode from Puertocitos to BOLA via Gonzaga Bay, Cocos, Calamajue Wash, El Crucero and the rest of the 2007 SCORE Baja 1000 race course.

What a awesome trip it was! We got stuck in the Calamajue Wash canyon due to lots of tall, green grass that covered up potential natural booby-traps. Coco had alerted us that other moto riders that went blasting through sunk in like quicksand! We went through with caution, and had to lift the bikes up and over large boulders. One of us (Jim) got a hugh nail in the tire and patches weren't enough. Good thing one of us (John) had a spare tube but we didn't know it until many hours later. Jim ended up riding on the flat tire for many miles out of the canyon. We got to BOLA late and very hungry.

The trip back we covered more beautiful BAJA and had no more tire issues. Next year we will repeat this AND add on to the mileage.

Will post the photos soon.
Did it look like this?

[Edited on 3-18-2009 by XRPhlang]

Baja 02-09 080r.JPG - 47kB

Cyanide41 - 3-18-2009 at 02:43 PM

How many total miles? Where are the pics? I am jealous.

David K - 3-18-2009 at 05:39 PM

Steekers will be posting them soon... :o

steekers - 3-18-2009 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
[Did it look like this?

Sure did!

We tried to fill in that spot so others could pass but got short on time and stopped construction.

Photos to follow

steekers - 3-18-2009 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Did it look like this?

So did you pull the bike out in that photo after trying to blast through?

Did Coco give you the warning?

When did you go?

squintingringo - 3-18-2009 at 08:47 PM

Looks like XRPhlang has it half full now. Couple more of those and it'll be smooth riding.

David K - 3-19-2009 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[Did it look like this?

Sure did!

We tried to fill in that spot so others could pass but got short on time and stopped construction.

Photos to follow

steekers... see this post for how to post photos... the prefered method for me now is the third way described(photobucket.com): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603

some pics of moto ride through Calamajue Wash

steekers - 3-19-2009 at 07:29 PM

attached are a few of the shots of us going through the wash. I guess we were wimps and took Coco's advice. Here he is giving the warning!

[Edited on 3-20-2009 by steekers]

[Edited on 3-20-2009 by steekers]

IMG_3250reduced.JPG - 42kB

moto ride...cont

steekers - 3-19-2009 at 07:33 PM

IMG_3303reduced.JPG - 25kB

moto ride...cont

steekers - 3-19-2009 at 07:34 PM

IMG_3309reduced.JPG - 41kB

moto ride...cont

steekers - 3-19-2009 at 07:35 PM

IMG_3310reduced.JPG - 40kB

XRPhlang - 3-20-2009 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
That route over the rocks looks like the same route I ended up taking after pulling myself out of the mudhole. Did you have to squeeze thru those two boulders? I looked the place over pretty well before I decided (wrongly) to try to go thru the mud to the right of that rock. Over those rocks could be the only dry route, IMO.

Great pictures, thank's. here did you go after Calamujue?

[Edited on 3-20-2009 by XRPhlang]