BajaNomad

Bows and crossbows: legal in Mexico?

Cardon Man - 3-21-2009 at 03:41 PM

Does anyone know if it's legal to own a bow or crossbow in Mexico?

how about slingshots and machetes?

BajaVida - 3-21-2009 at 04:40 PM

need to know

Woooosh - 3-21-2009 at 09:29 PM

Are TASERs legal?

Packoderm - 3-21-2009 at 10:50 PM

Poison darts?

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 08:35 AM

Thanks so much for your well thought out replies! Really though, I don't get the joke. Did I ask the wrong question here? :?:

Udo - 3-22-2009 at 09:31 AM

Sarcasm is alive and well in NOMADLAND.

mtgoat666 - 3-22-2009 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Thanks so much for your well thought out replies! Really though, I don't get the joke. Did I ask the wrong question here? :?:

you need to explain why you are asking. are you planning on hunting rabbits to live off the land? or are you a gun type looking for an alternative self-defense weapon?

a gringo wandering around with a bow and no hunting license is bound to atrract attention of law enforcement, regardless of "the law."

Man-o-man...I didn't realize this was such a tough question. :?:

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 11:07 AM

Is curiosity a sufficient explanation for asking?

I already own an air rifle so if I wanted to kill bunnies and birds I'm covered. Self defence weapons...well, a bow would certainly do in a pinch. Attracting the attention of the law seems unlikely. For one thing, I live a long way from the nearest neighbor. Secondly, I simply wanted to have a bow or crossbow for fun, eg. Target practice in the back yard. Believe it or not, archery has been an Olympic sport since 1900.

bajalou - 3-22-2009 at 12:17 PM

No reference, but I had heard several years ago that bows were OK, but cross-bows illegal.

sancho - 3-22-2009 at 03:24 PM

This subject has been tossed around a
couple times, not that I'm suggesting
it, but a speargun would be
a definate deterent, I just
would not want to have to use it,
myself, I probably would go with pepper
spray, I understand it's sold
in Mex

Skip_Mac - 3-22-2009 at 05:12 PM

Please be careful what you practice on Cardon Man.....remember the deceased but not missed David Grunman...

DENNIS - 3-22-2009 at 05:33 PM

The crossbow question has been gone over in the past and my recollection is that nobody knows. It's like every other law in Mexico that people say they know but, really don't. I wouldn't even trust a lawyer's opinion unless he had the book in front of him. Cops don't know either. If you really, I mean REALLY want to know, you'll have to pay a lawyer to do his homework and show you. Then.....you'll know. Untill then, don't test it in public.

Machetes....they are sold in hardware stores but, I wouldn't take that as reason to tuck it in your belt when you're going to the local gin-mill.

Archery is an olympic sport and they have hay bale targets in the local Sports Citys, Ciudad Deportes. I wouldn't take one of those to the bar either.
Seems common sense is the best law teacher.

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip_Mac
Please be careful what you practice on Cardon Man.....remember the deceased but not missed David Grunman...

Skip_Mac....I'm not familiar with your reference.

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The crossbow question has been gone over in the past and my recollection is that nobody knows. It's like every other law in Mexico that people say they know but, really don't. I wouldn't even trust a lawyer's opinion unless he had the book in front of him. Cops don't know either. If you really, I mean REALLY want to know, you'll have to pay a lawyer to do his homework and show you. Then.....you'll know. Untill then, don't test it in public.

Machetes....they are sold in hardware stores but, I wouldn't take that as reason to tuck it in your belt when you're going to the local gin-mill.

Archery is an olympic sport and they have hay bale targets in the local Sports Citys, Ciudad Deportes. I wouldn't take one of those to the bar either.
Seems common sense is the best law teacher.

Very good Dennis, Thanks!

I figured the bow/crossbow question would fall into the "nobody knows" category. I was hoping for some insightful stories / anecdotes...eg. "I just bought one in La Paz" or "We cross the border with them regularly"...something like that.

Deniability

Gypsy Jan - 3-22-2009 at 05:45 PM

Baseball bats are never questioned, especially if you have a sack of baseballs with the intention to play a game with the local kids.

A super squirt (SuperSquirt?) gun loaded with ammonia is great for discouraging seagulls and other pests.

All legal and nonthreatening looking when the military are investigating your car. :>;)

[Edited on 3-23-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 3-23-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

Fighting fire with fire

Dave - 3-22-2009 at 05:46 PM

If you are genuinely concerned about safety and can't leave Mexico then get a handgun. Sure it's illegal but you can always buy your way out of trouble.

If you're alive. :rolleyes:

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
If you are genuinely concerned about safety and can't leave Mexico then get a handgun. Sure it's illegal but you can always buy your way out of trouble.

Dave...I'm not talking self defence here. I feel quite safe were I live. I really wanted a bow and/or crossbow for fun.

DENNIS - 3-22-2009 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Best advice yet. Desperate situations call for desperate solutions.

Woooosh - 3-22-2009 at 07:03 PM

Fun thread. Not sure why. My two cents- the more you make it look like archery is your favorite hobby and sport of choice- the less trouble you would have with any authorities. Get a few nice target covers for the hay bales, measure off your yardage, etc. It sounds like you have the land. Just make it look like this is what you do and where you do it. But I don't know why you'd have any problems at all.

These Army guys down here are horrible shots even with their scopes and lasers- I doubt they're worried about Robin Hood coming to town. They may want the equipment for their own enjoyment though so you are right to find out and print a copy to have with you.

Cardon Man - 3-22-2009 at 07:10 PM

If indeed they are legal...I wonder where one can buy bows and/or crossbows in Los Cabos or La Paz? anyone seen them for sale?

nancyinpdx - 3-23-2009 at 03:29 AM

They might be available in TJ.

My ex Mexican (U.S. raised) boyfriend lives there in el centro and wanted one for his birthday a year ago but I refused because he is 'poor', has been bothered by the cops on too many occasions to count, and has no way to pay a sizeable mordida, should he upset a cop, and I was sick of paying his darn mordidas to haul his sorry hiney outta jail or to prevent him from going there!

[Edited on 3-23-2009 by nancyinpdx]

BOWS AND ARROWS IN MEXICO

Pompano - 3-23-2009 at 06:13 AM

Archery as a target event. Cardon Man, I am an avid bowhunter and also enjoy archery meets. I had a bow range in my back yard for a few years and I knew many people who brought thier bows.. longbows, recurves, and compound ..to Baja. At one time we had archery competitions and used bale targets. I asked every authority in the area at that time and none really thought it was against any laws....as far as they knew. So..did we break some laws we knew nothing about? I seriously doubt it. Because, in addition to inquiring with local authorities, the equipment was always in plain sight going through customs and the military checkpoints. Drew some interest at times, but no complaints. But, as with everything, "It depends on.. who, what, when, and where?"

I realize you are not interested in hunting game with a bow, but here's some info on that subject. I've have not yet hunted wild game with a bow in Mexico, but have extensively done so with rifle and shotgun. I've been told by Sonora hunting outfitters, and others, that it is legal to do so. Obviously you must have a hunting license and comply with local restrictions, a guided hunt, etc.

Some general, but interesting info about archery regulations in several countries, including Mexico:
http://www.dpll.si/files/bowhunting%20in%20the%20World%20200...

Cardon Man - 3-23-2009 at 07:16 AM

Now were cooking with gas! Thanks for the good info Pompano.